There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pre-Camp 53 Roster Prediction

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Not sure Ventrone and Osgood are safe.
I can see those spots used for rookie development.
You'd have an argument - maybe - with Ventrone. But Osgood? No way in hell he gets cut! Maybe next season after that, yes, rookie development. But not this season, not when we're so close to a SB, where ST could mean the difference of winning and loosing.

Still could happen, Osgood is getting pretty long-in-the-tooth.
QB: Kap, Gabbert
RB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, Hyde, Miller (FB)
WR: Crabby, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Cleveland
OL: Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone, Davis, JMartin, Looney, MMartin, Snyder

DL: JSmith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, IWilliams, TJE
ILB: Willis, Wilhoite, Moody, Borland
OLB: Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Lynch, Skuta
CB: Culliver, Brock, Ward, Wright, DJohnson
S: Reid, Bethea, Spillman, Dahl, Ventrone

K: Dawson
P: Lee
LS: McDermott

* QB Kory Faulkner, DL Dial, CB Acker, CB Morris, T Marquardt, G Seymour, DL Ramsey, DL Okoye to the practice squad
* Bowman, Thomas, Reaser, Millard on the PuP
* James traded/released
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
QB: Kap, Gabbert
RB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, Hyde, Miller (FB)
WR: Crabby, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Cleveland
OL: Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone, Davis, JMartin, Looney, MMartin, Snyder

DL: JSmith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, IWilliams, TJE
ILB: Willis, Wilhoite, Moody, Borland
OLB: Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Lynch, Skuta
CB: Culliver, Brock, Ward, Wright, DJohnson
S: Reid, Bethea, Spillman, Dahl, Ventrone

K: Dawson
P: Lee
LS: McDermott

* QB Kory Faulkner, DL Dial, CB Acker, CB Morris, T Marquardt, G Seymour, DL Ramsey, DL Okoye to the practice squad
* Bowman, Thomas, Reaser, Millard on the PuP
* James traded/released
Would not have any problem with that roster. But, IMHO, Faulkner and Ramsey won't be safe on the PS.
You'd have an argument - maybe - with Ventrone. But Osgood? No way in hell he gets cut! Maybe next season after that, yes, rookie development. But not this season, not when we're so close to a SB, where ST could mean the difference of winning and loosing.

I think Ventrone goes and we keep Skuta. Borland is by all accounts a special teams demon and we showed last year that a combo of Skuta and Lemonier can hold down Aldon's spot if he misses any time.
it makes no sense how people think Cook has any of an edge over Cox at CB?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I think Ventrone goes and we keep Skuta. Borland is by all accounts a special teams demon and we showed last year that a combo of Skuta and Lemonier can hold down Aldon's spot if he misses any time.
I agree with your anaylsis about the Lemonier/Skuta combo. So who do we cut to keep Skuta?
He's 6-5, 249lbs. Trust me, he's gonna be an OLB on this team. JH & Co. aren't gonna ask him to gain 40lbs to play DE. Besides, we're pretty stacked along the D-line. Outside of Lemonier (6-3, 255lbs BTW) Lynch and Skuta are all we have at the other OLB spot.

He's currently 255lbs and he was at 270 when he played at notre dame before he we was prescribed adderall. this kid took a HUGE step backwards when he was moved from the 5 technique to a space pass rusher. he was UNREAL with the extra weight and playing inside 2 gapping. he lost so much of his strength and ability to anchor the point of attack after the weight loss. And as far as stacked Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod Eddie are serviceable, but that's about it. Justin and Ray aint getting any younger and Tank is basically going into his rookie year playing a position he never played. Hopefully they slowly bulk him back up, giving him a shot outside and eventually moving him inside.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM ]
I know I am in the minority here, but I think there is a realistic possibility that we cut Gore. There is also a possibility that Lattimore opens the season on Pup.

WR – 5
Anquan Boldin
Michael Crabtree
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington

I would love for us to carry 6, but it won't happen. Brandon Lloyd, Jon Baldwin, Chuck Jacobs will be cut. I don't think David Reed and Devon Wylie will be PS eligible so they'll be out as well. (Zoners are more than welcome to correct me on that if I'm wrong.) I honestly think we could keep 6, but I doubt it (that doubt isn't a strong doubt though). If we keep 6 look out for Brandon Lloyd or DeMarco Sampson. Also, I like Quinton Patton, but he had better be really careful here. This team is WAY too close this season, so I seriously doubt that JH & Co. are gonna be in any mood for patients for lack of production from this position. Drafting Bruce Ellington (not to mention acquiring Stevie Johnson) should've sent a real message to Patton. If Patton don't learn to run routs and catch on both sides of the field we could see a lot of Bruce Ellington, and early too.

Please cut Dahl, move Ward under safety and keep Acker. Cut Tukuafu and put Celek or Carrier as the 3rd TE, there is no way this team goes with 2 TE. And as mentioned earlier put Faulkner on PS.
Will Tukuafu didn't make the team to start last year. They brought him back after an injury to a player. I think it was when Miller was hurt. So I do not think he make the team. I think they Like CB Morris and he will make the team. They kept him all of last year and lost some good CB to other teams so they where higher on Morris then they where on the players they lost. If he has gotten any better with the off season he mite be a starter if Culliver is Out. Some of the vet mite not make the team like Wright, Dahl maybe even Osgood. I like Osgood for ST. but if some of the rookies show up on ST he mite not make the team. It would suck because I like Osgood and having him on ST really makes difference.
[ Edited by dlance on May 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM ]
First of all, no one here seems to be acknowledging the real reason we kept and used all those draft picks: we need to clear cap space to sign Kaepernick. We're entering into a new era where we won't have money for the Osgoods and the Ventrones, the Spillmans and the Craig Dahls of the world. Most of these draft picks will make the squad at the expense of more expensive veterans. And while I don't expect it, I too wouldn't be shocked if Gore "retired".

Unless they don't sign Kaepernick; but they won't have all these draft picks next year.
Originally posted by bret:
First of all, no one here seems to be acknowledging the real reason we kept and used all those draft picks: we need to clear cap space to sign Kaepernick. We're entering into a new era where we won't have money for the Osgoods and the Ventrones, the Spillmans and the Craig Dahls of the world. Most of these draft picks will make the squad at the expense of more expensive veterans. And while I don't expect it, I too wouldn't be shocked if Gore "retired".

Unless they don't sign Kaepernick; but they won't have all these draft picks next year.

Yes, this is along the lines of what I'm thinking, too.
Not saying it will happen, but I can see the possibility.
Originally posted by bret:

I completely agree with you about letting go some of the less important veterans. Gore however should not and will not be released. He is a 49er legend and was made to believe he would play this season. A franchise cannot leave such an important person out to dry. If they wanted to move on it should have been clear before free agency so he could retire on his own terms and earn as much as he could in the meantime. Gore isn't done I expect him to carry close to 50% of the load and look good doing it. Keep him busy at the beginning of the season lower the workload in the back end and let him rest up to be ready come playoff time and he can go out on top.
I know it's early for 53 projections but I couldn't help myself after the draft. But these predictions are fun . A shame we can only 53 man can be on the roster. The 53 man roster should be expanded to 57. Overall this was a very good draft. We plugged cracks (because we had no gaping holes), provided needed depth, and replenished for the future. I'm pretty shocked, but quite stoked that we came away with so many picks. I thought we'd trade up a few times, but honestly, I really didn't want us to. As I stated in my first mock I preferred us to pick all 11 picks – we came away with 12. So, this is my early view of our 53 man roster and 46 game roster.

Italicized makes the 53 only.

QB – 3
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert
Kory Faulkner

Yes, I have Faulkner beating out Bethel-Thomas.

RB – 4
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Marcus Lattimore
Carlos Hyde

I think LMJ will be either cut or traded. Drafting Carlos Hyde in the 2nd and Bruce Ellington (a speedy WR with serious return ability) spoke loud volumes to me about how JH & Co. view the direction of our RB position. I just don't get the impression that the coaching staff really even thought LMJ even fit into what JH & Co. want to do offensively. This will be a transition year for our backfield. Just my prediction but I see Gore as the "feature" back only on paper. I think Hunter, Lattimore, and Hyde will probably get about 80-90% of the total carries, with Lattimore probably getting 50% of the total number of carries (but Hunter will have a lot to say about that). My bet is that Gore retires after this season. But that's just how I see it anyway.

FB – 2
Bruce Miller
Will Tukuafu
*Trey Millard (will be on IR)

TE – 2
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald

Going forward, Trey Millard adds way more value to the roster so I don't think G. Celek will make it this season.

WR – 5
Anquan Boldin
Michael Crabtree
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington

I would love for us to carry 6, but it won't happen. Brandon Lloyd, Jon Baldwin, Chuck Jacobs will be cut. I don't think David Reed and Devon Wylie will be PS eligible so they'll be out as well. (Zoners are more than welcome to correct me on that if I'm wrong.) I honestly think we could keep 6, but I doubt it (that doubt isn't a strong doubt though). If we keep 6 look out for Brandon Lloyd or DeMarco Sampson. Also, I like Quinton Patton, but he had better be really careful here. This team is WAY too close this season, so I seriously doubt that JH & Co. are gonna be in any mood for patients for lack of production from this position. Drafting Bruce Ellington (not to mention acquiring Stevie Johnson) should've sent a real message to Patton. If Patton don't learn to run routs and catch on both sides of the field we could see a lot of Bruce Ellington, and early too.

OT – 3
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Jonathan Martin

OG – 4
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney
Brandon Thomas (can play OT)

I think Adam Snyder and Ryan Seymour will be out, just too much young talent (see Brandon Thomas) for them to make this 53.

C – 2
Daniel Kilgore
Marcus Martin

Marcus Martin is gonna REALLY push Kilgore, and I would not at all be surprised to see him beat him our all together.

DE – 4
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial/Tony Jerrod-Eddie
*Kaleb Ramsey (I think they'll find a way to stash him on IR given his durability concerns)

This D-line is loaded!! I think we will see the last of Demarcus Dobbs on this roster. I know he signed his tender but I just cannot see where he'll fit, given that we've drafted a truer FB and yet two more along the D-line. I predict Quinton Dial and Tony Jerrod-Eddie to really battle for playing time; that's a camp battle I'm salivating for. But the looser of that battle will be out, and that cut will be painful. For now imma pencil in Dial to edge him out on the 53. Kaleb Ramsey is injury prone, so I think JH & Co. will find a reason to stash him on IR, because he WILL NOT last on the PS. Don't think we will have any room for Lawrence Okoye, but I think he'll clear waivers and brought back to the PS for further development.

NT – 2
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey

Just a hunch but I see Ian Williams regaining his starting spot at some point this season.

OLB – 4
Ahmad Brooks
Corey Lemonier
Dan Skuta
Aaron Lynch
*Morgan Breslin (will be stashed on IR)
*Aldon Smith (There will be a suspension coming for Aldon)

If Aldon isn't suspended I expect Dan Skuta to cut be a surprise last day roster cut, especially if Aaron Lynch shows any promise at all. Corey Lemonier will edge out Skuta for the other edge rusher.

ILB – 4
Patrick Willis
Michael Wilhoite
Chris Borland
*Navarro Bowman (PUP)
Shane Skov

I couldn't believe that we drafted Borland over Skov and that Skov didn't even get drafted at all. I thought Skov was better than Borland; I had us drafting skov. But I can understand the pick. Borland has Zach Thomas written all over him. But, we won't be able to hide Skov on the PS, so I see us finding space for him. I think Darius Fleming and Nick Moody gets the ax this season. Wilhoite will be the penciled in starter beside Willis. But I don't think that's rock solid. He'll have to earn it, and keep it until Bowman returns. Depending on how the roster looks by then we could lose Skov when Bowman returns. Hopefully we find space elsewhere or find a reason to stash him on IR.

CB – 5
Chris Culliver
Tramaine Brock
Jimmie Ward
Chris Cook/Eric Wright
Dontae Johnson
*Keith Reaser (will be stashed on IR, all season)

Out: Perrish Cox, Daryl Morris, and Chris Cook or Eric Wright. For sure this will be the most exciting position to watch going forward. I think it's safe to say that Cully and Brock will be the starters. I cannot see Jimmie Ward as a safety, at least not yet. He'll be groomed to take over the FS spot in the future. But for now he'll be THE go to slot CB. We're in nickel most of the time, so there's no way on earth that Ward will be kept off the field in nickel packages. This don't bode well for Cook and Wright as one will be out (or be a recipient of JH's usage of the IR). I see Dontae Johnson as mostly a solid backup CB and ST guy.

S – 4
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
CJ Spillman
Craig Dahl

K – 1
Phil Dawson

P – 1
Andy Lee

Colton Schmidt will be just a camp leg.

LS – 1
Kevin McDermott

ST – 2
Kassim Osgood, Bubba Ventrone

Practice Squad
Jewel Hampton
Asante Cleveland
Lawrence Okoye (will be brought back after clearing waivers)
Kenneth Acker
DJ Campbell
Mike Purcell (won't last on PS)
DeMarco Sampson
Luke Marquardt (won't last on PS)

Other Cuts
Al Netter
Carter Bykowski (could be brought back)
Dax Swanson (could be brought back)
Derek Carrier

Thoughts. . . .
You watch way more Pac 10 ball and I watch way more Big 10 ball. That's evident but take a look at these.

Skov- http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/shayne-skov-1.html

Borland- http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chris-borland-1.html

What really pops for me is the turnover differential. Borland makes tackles and gets takeaways. I'm not discount Skov as a player because I like him, but over the last four years I've seen Borland make play after play. AND he was a backup kicker! No kidding!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/86960/borland-to-handle-long-kicks-for-badgers