LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

New 49ers QB Kory Faulkner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Marshall, Marshall, Maaaaaaaarrrrrhall....
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Gabbert isn't going anywhere. His $2 million salary is fully guaranteed for the year, so we have to pay the full amount, even if we cut him. There is no way a team in our cap situation pays a guy $2 million to play somewhere else.

I haven't seen Gabbert play, but I have seen Josh play in this offense and he had a (I believe) 100+ quarterback rating in the last game he played for us. From my standpoint, if Josh can play like that against 1st and 2nd stringers - and Gabbert cant, Gabbert might indeed be gone despite a guaranteed salary. 6 million is freed up as of today as the Carlos contract is taken off the books. The cap will probably increase by at least that much next year - if not more. So I think if Josh truly outplays Blaine, I think he'll be a cut.
The roster will be (hopefully)

QB1: Kap
QB2: Gabbert

(we dont need a 3rd QB taking a roster spot.. id rather see that go to Llyod or Okoye)

PS: Faulkner
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jun 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Gabbert isn't going anywhere. His $2 million salary is fully guaranteed for the year, so we have to pay the full amount, even if we cut him. There is no way a team in our cap situation pays a guy $2 million to play somewhere else.

I haven't seen Gabbert play, but I have seen Josh play in this offense and he had a (I believe) 100+ quarterback rating in the last game he played for us. From my standpoint, if Josh can play like that against 1st and 2nd stringers - and Gabbert cant, Gabbert might indeed be gone despite a guaranteed salary. 6 million is freed up as of today as the Carlos contract is taken off the books. The cap will probably increase by at least that much next year - if not more. So I think if Josh truly outplays Blaine, I think he'll be a cut.

couldn't gabbert get traded?

I think Johnson is a MUCH better fit for the offense we run here with CK at the helm. I think with Gabbert, we'd need to change up a ton if he ever had to come into a game. The issue is the guaranteed contract and age...Gabbert is 24 and Johnson is 30. I highly doubt we keep 3 QB's plus Faulkner on the PS. My best guess is that one of the two gets cut. Which one? I'm leaning towards retaining Josh even with his age and the contract guarantee for Gabbert b/c Josh could stay here for years as a backup and be fine with that role. Gabbert is 24 and he'll want to start somewhere.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM ]
Agree WRT Josh Johnson...my gut's saying he'll end up as Kap's b/u. He's much more natural in the Niner offense...pretty much knows it already, so should beat out Gabbert.

Wish Faulkner well as a player...but think McCloud-Thompson ends up the #3.
Agree WRT Josh Johnson...my gut's saying he'll end up as Kap's b/u. He's much more natural in the Niner offense...pretty much knows it already, so should beat out Gabbert.

Wish Faulkner well as a player...but think McCloud-Thompson ends up the #3.
Johnson is just veteran insurance and competition. Gabbert would have to be terrible to lose the number 2. We will only carry two QB's to gain an extra roster spot for a RB or WR. They plan for Faulkner to be on the practice squad. They learned last year not to get rookies exposure that they want to stash. That's why the rookie camp was closed. If someone wrote how great a find it was by Harbaugh, he'd be claimed in Aug. You won't see Faulkner play in the preseason other than to hand off.
[ Edited by jobiwon on Jun 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
Faulker's best chance is the PS
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Faulker's best chance is the PS

might be a diamond in the rough ...chances are any QB we put on the practice squad will be scooped up to try and get info on our system , pete carroll will sign one of our QB's of the PS and then release him after a few weeks , scavengers pick the bones clean

I dont think Johnson has a chance, regardless of his fit in the offense. Gabbert is just a more talented player that I think Harbaugh can get the best out of with Faulkner being PS bound.
I gotta agree that Gabbert is gonna use this year as a developmental year under Harbaugh then bolt to a team where he can compete for the starting job next year like the Jets or possibly the Rams depending on how Bradford plays. I hope we retain Josh Johnson cause he definitely is a good fit for our offense and I definitely could see him being our backup for the rest of his career. Hopefully Faulkner makes it to our PS and remains there for this year then we can bump him up to the active roster next year when Gabbert bounces out the door.
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.

Yup. Not to mention what he did with andrew luck, josh johnson, and that he wanted RGIII at stanford. He is def highly regarded when it comes to QB evaluations.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think Johnson is a MUCH better fit for the offense we run here with CK at the helm. I think with Gabbert, we'd need to change up a ton if he ever had to come into a game. The issue is the guaranteed contract and age...Gabbert is 24 and Johnson is 30. I highly doubt we keep 3 QB's plus Faulkner on the PS. My best guess is that one of the two gets cut. Which one? I'm leaning towards retaining Josh even with his age and the contract guarantee for Gabbert b/c Josh could stay here for years as a backup and be fine with that role. Gabbert is 24 and he'll want to start somewhere.

Josh is 28, just a year and half (I think) older than Colin. So by no means is Josh an old man, and he has command of this offense already. Having said that, I do want to see how Blaine plays. I hope he does well, so we can possibly take advantage of depth at a position and trade depth for draft picks. In my view, they traded for Blaine before they knew Josh was going to be cut. As soon as Josh was cut, he got a call from Harbaugh - and I think if he was cut before the trade for Blaine, I think Blaine would not be on the team now. That's just an opinion, I don't really know how the trade for Blaine and the acquisition for Josh really happened. I'm just hoping we didn't get another Colt or Tolzien type of player with regards to Blaine.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Johnson is just veteran insurance and competition. Gabbert would have to be terrible to lose the number 2. We will only carry two QB's to gain an extra roster spot for a RB or WR. They plan for Faulkner to be on the practice squad. They learned last year not to get rookies exposure that they want to stash. That's why the rookie camp was closed. If someone wrote how great a find it was by Harbaugh, he'd be claimed in Aug. You won't see Faulkner play in the preseason other than to hand off.

I'm still kind of peeved we lost BJ Daniels, but then I look at Seadderall's depth chart, I think at the end of the 2013 season BJ Daniels was on the practice squad. McBlt is taller and has a bigger arm than BJ, or that's my impression from reading the articles on McBlt. Kory is going to be an interesting prospect to watch. An UDFA QB has very long odds of making an NFL team's 53 from the git go.
Share 49ersWebzone