There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New 49ers QB Kory Faulkner

Originally posted by Giedi:
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.

The entire NFL hangs on to Jim's words regarding QB's? Development of who? Kaepernick? I have a completely different view. Walsh actually groomed QB's, he and Holmgren made them masters of finding the hot read and using 4 and sometimes 5 options. I am talking Montana, Young, and even Bono who caught his education from Holmgren. I gotta be honest, I love the fire Harbs' brings and I think Andrew Luck is a fantastic talent. But leading a College QB that has been groomed in pro football his entire life does not have me in awe of Harbaugh's QB grooming skills.

He didn't develop Alex, he shut him down and turned him into a low-risk/low reward guy. It was what the team needed to win and it worked, but Alex looks better now than he did in a Niner uniform and he still is check-down Charlie. Watching Kaepernick in College, he looked explosive and he still does, but he doesn't look a bunch different to me than the pistol kid other than the number of runs he has. I love Harbs, but I don't buy into him as a QB guru and to even mention him in the same breath as Walsh is completely ridiculous.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
The entire NFL hangs on to Jim's words regarding QB's? Development of who? Kaepernick? I have a completely different view. Walsh actually groomed QB's, he and Holmgren made them masters of finding the hot read and using 4 and sometimes 5 options. I am talking Montana, Young, and even Bono who caught his education from Holmgren. I gotta be honest, I love the fire Harbs' brings and I think Andrew Luck is a fantastic talent. But leading a College QB that has been groomed in pro football his entire life does not have me in awe of Harbaugh's QB grooming skills.

He didn't develop Alex, he shut him down and turned him into a low-risk/low reward guy. It was what the team needed to win and it worked, but Alex looks better now than he did in a Niner uniform and he still is check-down Charlie. Watching Kaepernick in College, he looked explosive and he still does, but he doesn't look a bunch different to me than the pistol kid other than the number of runs he has. I love Harbs, but I don't buy into him as a QB guru and to even mention him in the same breath as Walsh is completely ridiculous.



2011 27 SFO QB 11 16 16 13-3-0 273 445 61.3 3144 17 3.8 5 1.1 56 7.1 7.3 11.5 196.5 90.7

2012 28 SFO QB 11 10 9 6-2-1 153 218 70.2 1737 13 6.0 5 2.3 55 8.0 8.1 11.4 173.7 104.1

2013* 29 KAN QB 11 15 15 11-4-0 308 508 60.6 3313 23 4.5 7 1.4 71 6.5 6.8 10.8 220.9 89.1



Yards per attempt went down, completion percentage went down, interceptions went up. Passing attempts went up but I don't see any real improvement in those numbers that supports your argument of him being "better."







I do think Harbaugh's label of being a QB guru is somewhat overrated but I do think in many ways he's an ideal guy to get the most out of any quarterback possible. Does anyone seriously think that Kaepernick or 2011 Alex Smith go somewhere else and do better than they've done with the 49ers? I think his understanding of the QB position and the stuff a QB goes through, due to having played the position at a high level himself, allows him to structure the game plan in a manner that maximizes a QB's strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. I do remember that the book on Kaepernick when he was coming out is that he would need at least 3 years to develop to become a starting QB. Well, he's ahead of the curve and I'm hoping that this year he's able to put it all together and become the dominant force that he's shown flashes of here and there.


I do trust that Harbaugh has a good eye for QB talent so if Faulker impressed both him and Chryst, then it could be an interesting find indeed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
2011 27 SFO QB 11 16 16 13-3-0 273 445 61.3 3144 17 3.8 5 1.1 56 7.1 7.3 11.5 196.5 90.7

2012 28 SFO QB 11 10 9 6-2-1 153 218 70.2 1737 13 6.0 5 2.3 55 8.0 8.1 11.4 173.7 104.1

2013* 29 KAN QB 11 15 15 11-4-0 308 508 60.6 3313 23 4.5 7 1.4 71 6.5 6.8 10.8 220.9 89.1



Yards per attempt went down, completion percentage went down, interceptions went up. Passing attempts went up but I don't see any real improvement in those numbers that supports your argument of him being "better."





I do think Harbaugh's label of being a QB guru is somewhat overrated but I do think in many ways he's an ideal guy to get the most out of any quarterback possible. Does anyone seriously think that Kaepernick or 2011 Alex Smith go somewhere else and do better than they've done with the 49ers? I think his understanding of the QB position and the stuff a QB goes through, due to having played the position at a high level himself, allows him to structure the game plan in a manner that maximizes a QB's strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. I do remember that the book on Kaepernick when he was coming out is that he would need at least 3 years to develop to become a starting QB. Well, he's ahead of the curve and I'm hoping that this year he's able to put it all together and become the dominant force that he's shown flashes of here and there.


I do trust that Harbaugh has a good eye for QB talent so if Faulker impressed both him and Chryst, then it could be an interesting find indeed.

it isn't a head scratcher. The stats are totally in line with what a limited QB would have if that QB was told to throw more and Smith is throwing more. The INT numbers are marginally different at best with a lot more attempts, not to mention Smith didn't even play most of the 2012 season. With him, it is always a small sample size.

Your point is taken however. I think Harbs has a fine eye for QB talent, I just do not buy into his development skills.. YET.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
it isn't a head scratcher. The stats are totally in line with what a limited QB would have if that QB was told to throw more and Smith is throwing more. The INT numbers are marginally different at best with a lot more attempts, not to mention Smith didn't even play most of the 2012 season. With him, it is always a small sample size.

Your point is taken however. I think Harbs has a fine eye for QB talent, I just do not buy into his development skills.. YET.

What he did to reconstruct Alex's game and confidence I think is telling. Yeah he basically made Alex a captain Check Down, but then again, Walsh didn't have Montana throw 30 yard outs in his WCO system either. Both coaches are very good at tailoring their system to the strengths of the QB's. I don't think Harbaugh is at the level of Walsh who had two Hall of Fame QB's in his resume - but he isn't bad. Rich Gannon, Alex Smith, Luck (to some extent already developed by his dad, but still had great performances in Stanford), and Kaepernick taking us to the Superbowl. It would have been the easier decision to stick with Alex when he got concussed, but he didn't, he chose right and went with Colin and he got us past the NFC CG that year.
I like that rathmonator...YET

9erslifeinChicago, if Kory wins the 3rd spot(which I hope he does, does Gabbert suddenly develop tendinitis in his throwing elbow and end up on IR? I am assuming gabbert is NOT backing up kap. At least I sure hope not.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 30, 2014 at 4:25 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I like that rathmonator...YET

9erslifeinChicago, if Kory wins the 3rd spot(which I hope he does, does Gabbert suddenly develop tendinitis in his throwing elbow and end up on IR? I am assuming gabbert is NOT backing up kap. At least I sure hope not.

I think Josh can make the 2nd QB stronger. I haven't seen Gabbert play, but he has to outplay Josh to get that 2nd spot. My bet is Josh 2nd. Kory has to beat out Gabbert and McBLT to earn the 3rd spot. It's a long shot, but for Kory to do it, he has to really be lights out in the fourth qtr in every pre-season game.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
Originally posted by Giedi:
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.

The entire NFL hangs on to Jim's words regarding QB's? Development of who? Kaepernick? I have a completely different view. Walsh actually groomed QB's, he and Holmgren made them masters of finding the hot read and using 4 and sometimes 5 options. I am talking Montana, Young, and even Bono who caught his education from Holmgren. I gotta be honest, I love the fire Harbs' brings and I think Andrew Luck is a fantastic talent. But leading a College QB that has been groomed in pro football his entire life does not have me in awe of Harbaugh's QB grooming skills.

He didn't develop Alex, he shut him down and turned him into a low-risk/low reward guy. It was what the team needed to win and it worked, but Alex looks better now than he did in a Niner uniform and he still is check-down Charlie. Watching Kaepernick in College, he looked explosive and he still does, but he doesn't look a bunch different to me than the pistol kid other than the number of runs he has. I love Harbs, but I don't buy into him as a QB guru and to even mention him in the same breath as Walsh is completely ridiculous.

Agreed. Alex was already playing very well before Harbaugh arrived and HE taught the offense during Camp Alex. I didn't see any obvious changes in game plans or QB mechanics at all. I think it was the Alex show and before he got injured, he was breaking efficiency records.

As to CK? I still see very poor mechanics in footwork at times, pocket awareness, vision, simplified passing game, not sure how QB-friendly this passing attack is, etc. I think there is a lot more that needs to be emphasized by this coaching staff from utilizing the short game, tying the WCO passing plays (QB drop backs) to WR routes, CK needs WAY more snaps under C, repetition, touch on the short pass and deeper balls (better arch), stop throwing through DB's, etc. That's 100% on Harbaugh and the QB coach as well as better designs that include several options and outlets for the QB on every single passing play (minus the AR's).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I like that rathmonator...YET

9erslifeinChicago, if Kory wins the 3rd spot(which I hope he does, does Gabbert suddenly develop tendinitis in his throwing elbow and end up on IR? I am assuming gabbert is NOT backing up kap. At least I sure hope not.

I think Josh can make the 2nd QB stronger. I haven't seen Gabbert play, but he has to outplay Josh to get that 2nd spot. My bet is Josh 2nd. Kory has to beat out Gabbert and McBLT to earn the 3rd spot. It's a long shot, but for Kory to do it, he has to really be lights out in the fourth qtr in every pre-season game.

Gabbert isn't going anywhere. His $2 million salary is fully guaranteed for the year, so we have to pay the full amount, even if we cut him. There is no way a team in our cap situation pays a guy $2 million to play somewhere else.
Originally posted by Giedi:
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.

Ummm, Colt McCoy? Even the mighty Casey struck out once in a while! Lets hope Gabberet is salvageable, and this kid pans out. I love stock piling QB talent, it give you insurance in case of injury, leverage in contract negotiations, and trade bait when needed. I spent the last decade pissed off at our front office for not picking a QB because we had Alex Smith. This staff is so much more professional and focused, I love how we keep Kaep working on his game, with a little competition.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
The entire NFL hangs on to Jim's words regarding QB's? Development of who? Kaepernick? I have a completely different view. Walsh actually groomed QB's, he and Holmgren made them masters of finding the hot read and using 4 and sometimes 5 options. I am talking Montana, Young, and even Bono who caught his education from Holmgren. I gotta be honest, I love the fire Harbs' brings and I think Andrew Luck is a fantastic talent. But leading a College QB that has been groomed in pro football his entire life does not have me in awe of Harbaugh's QB grooming skills.

He didn't develop Alex, he shut him down and turned him into a low-risk/low reward guy. It was what the team needed to win and it worked, but Alex looks better now than he did in a Niner uniform and he still is check-down Charlie. Watching Kaepernick in College, he looked explosive and he still does, but he doesn't look a bunch different to me than the pistol kid other than the number of runs he has. I love Harbs, but I don't buy into him as a QB guru and to even mention him in the same breath as Walsh is completely ridiculous.



2011 27 SFO QB 11 16 16 13-3-0 273 445 61.3 3144 17 3.8 5 1.1 56 7.1 7.3 11.5 196.5 90.7

2012 28 SFO QB 11 10 9 6-2-1 153 218 70.2 1737 13 6.0 5 2.3 55 8.0 8.1 11.4 173.7 104.1

2013* 29 KAN QB 11 15 15 11-4-0 308 508 60.6 3313 23 4.5 7 1.4 71 6.5 6.8 10.8 220.9 89.1



Yards per attempt went down, completion percentage went down, interceptions went up. Passing attempts went up but I don't see any real improvement in those numbers that supports your argument of him being "better."







I do think Harbaugh's label of being a QB guru is somewhat overrated but I do think in many ways he's an ideal guy to get the most out of any quarterback possible. Does anyone seriously think that Kaepernick or 2011 Alex Smith go somewhere else and do better than they've done with the 49ers? I think his understanding of the QB position and the stuff a QB goes through, due to having played the position at a high level himself, allows him to structure the game plan in a manner that maximizes a QB's strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. I do remember that the book on Kaepernick when he was coming out is that he would need at least 3 years to develop to become a starting QB. Well, he's ahead of the curve and I'm hoping that this year he's able to put it all together and become the dominant force that he's shown flashes of here and there.


I do trust that Harbaugh has a good eye for QB talent so if Faulker impressed both him and Chryst, then it could be an interesting find indeed.

You also have to look at the level of competition smith faced in KC. He went from facing Peterson and Sherman/Browner a couple of times a year to facing the chargers and raiders a couple of times a year
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 33,528
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
The entire NFL hangs on to Jim's words regarding QB's? Development of who? Kaepernick? I have a completely different view. Walsh actually groomed QB's, he and Holmgren made them masters of finding the hot read and using 4 and sometimes 5 options. I am talking Montana, Young, and even Bono who caught his education from Holmgren. I gotta be honest, I love the fire Harbs' brings and I think Andrew Luck is a fantastic talent. But leading a College QB that has been groomed in pro football his entire life does not have me in awe of Harbaugh's QB grooming skills.

He didn't develop Alex, he shut him down and turned him into a low-risk/low reward guy. It was what the team needed to win and it worked, but Alex looks better now than he did in a Niner uniform and he still is check-down Charlie. Watching Kaepernick in College, he looked explosive and he still does, but he doesn't look a bunch different to me than the pistol kid other than the number of runs he has. I love Harbs, but I don't buy into him as a QB guru and to even mention him in the same breath as Walsh is completely ridiculous.



2011 27 SFO QB 11 16 16 13-3-0 273 445 61.3 3144 17 3.8 5 1.1 56 7.1 7.3 11.5 196.5 90.7

2012 28 SFO QB 11 10 9 6-2-1 153 218 70.2 1737 13 6.0 5 2.3 55 8.0 8.1 11.4 173.7 104.1

2013* 29 KAN QB 11 15 15 11-4-0 308 508 60.6 3313 23 4.5 7 1.4 71 6.5 6.8 10.8 220.9 89.1



Yards per attempt went down, completion percentage went down, interceptions went up. Passing attempts went up but I don't see any real improvement in those numbers that supports your argument of him being "better."







I do think Harbaugh's label of being a QB guru is somewhat overrated but I do think in many ways he's an ideal guy to get the most out of any quarterback possible. Does anyone seriously think that Kaepernick or 2011 Alex Smith go somewhere else and do better than they've done with the 49ers? I think his understanding of the QB position and the stuff a QB goes through, due to having played the position at a high level himself, allows him to structure the game plan in a manner that maximizes a QB's strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. I do remember that the book on Kaepernick when he was coming out is that he would need at least 3 years to develop to become a starting QB. Well, he's ahead of the curve and I'm hoping that this year he's able to put it all together and become the dominant force that he's shown flashes of here and there.


I do trust that Harbaugh has a good eye for QB talent so if Faulker impressed both him and Chryst, then it could be an interesting find indeed.

You also have to look at the level of competition smith faced in KC. He went from facing Peterson and Sherman/Browner a couple of times a year to facing the chargers and raiders a couple of times a year

Smith was also killing Indy in Indy before his defense took a s**t. You can't blame Alex Smith for the hand he was dealt, he owned his 2013 season.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,815
This thread deviated quickly....
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,790
Cheatterrall's practice squad
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Gabbert isn't going anywhere. His $2 million salary is fully guaranteed for the year, so we have to pay the full amount, even if we cut him. There is no way a team in our cap situation pays a guy $2 million to play somewhere else.

exactly
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,364
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I miss BJ Daniels

that makes one of you