There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New 49ers QB Kory Faulkner

Interesting under-the-radar Harbaugh choice. He met with him at Northwestern's Pro Day along with Garoppolo. Reportedly Harbaugh was texting him every day the week before the draft and the 49ers were prepared to use a draft pick on him due to the Rams having some interest in him as well. After the Rams took Garrett Gilbert, that went out the window and he became the 49ers first announced UDFA signing of 2014.

Nice size for the position at 6'4", 230, mobile, strong arm, accuracy is a bit iffy, rather raw and seems like a long term project for Harbaugh to work with but if he see's something in this guy then I am definitely on board.

"Coach Harbaugh saw me throwing side-by-side next to Jimmy and liked what he saw," Faulkner explained. "He asked for some tape and really liked my tape."

Over Easter weekend, Harbaugh flew into St. Louis to meet one-on-one with Faulkner for a couple of hours.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound former state football MVP ran a 4.67 in the 40, which was better than the NFL's target time of 4.9 for quarterbacks and near what he was hoping to run he said.

Faulkner, who was the Southern Illinois-Carbondale starting QB for the past three seasons, also benched 225 pounds 19 times; his vertical jump was 34 inches (30 inches is the target for QBs), and his broad jump was 9 feet-8 inches (9-0 target). His times in the 10-split and 20-split, as well as his shuttle and 3-cones run time, were not available.

"The [Philadelphia] Eagles and [Tennessee] Titans quarterback coaches were there, and I went through about 40 or so throws with the receivers," he said. "I talked with 12 teams after that."

http://www.stegenherald.com/sports/article_956c5a88-a95a-11e3-a997-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.siusalukis.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051014aaa.html

"Yeah, really liked watching the tape. It was a fun process. [Quarterbacks coach] Geep Chryst and I were together on that and we must have watched 40 or 50 quarterbacks. And really enjoyed watching them all. Some fabulous moments from college football we got to see. But, thought we did a thorough job. And feel really good about Kory. Feel really good about him as a person and a player. We like him."-Jim Harbaugh

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaughs-tour-qbs-finds-good-boned-prospect

Shaun ‏@FCSScout Feb 28 Heard from a former NC State player that SIU QB Kory Faulkner's arm strength rivals that of Bucs' Mike Glennon. Jus'saying..
https://twitter.com/FCSScout

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.
Yeah, you just have to know if Harbaugh decides on a guy, then there's a reason.

Waiting to see what happens with Gabbert, if Harbaugh see value, then there's a reason.
He'll win the #3 job. Plus he wears my high school football jersey #
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on May 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This guy looks just like McLeod Bethel-Thompson on the field. He looks to have a pretty decent arm with good mobility, he could be a steal.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This guy looks just like McLeod Bethel-Thompson on the field. He looks to have a pretty decent arm with good mobility, he could be a steal.

I can't wait to see him in pre-season.
Impressive from the video. Very wide stance makes him look shorter in the pocket than he is. Great footwork though.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
I like this. I hope he wins a roster spot.
Harbaugh hand picked him and it looks like he has the height, arm strength, mobility. Interesting to see how he'll be in preseason…he made some good "anticipation throws" in that brief highlight video posted above.

Between Johnson, Gabbert, Thompson and him, I wonder who wins out and if we even keep 2 backups on the roster, unlike only 1 last year…(weren't Kyle Williams and Boldin our emergency QBs? lol)
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on May 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Harbaugh hand picked him and it looks like he has the height, arm strength, mobility. Interesting to see how he'll be in preseason…he made some good "anticipation throws" in that brief highlight video posted above.

Between Johnson, Gabbert, Thompson and him, I wonder who wins out and if we even keep 2 backups on the roster, unlike only 1 last year…(weren't Kyle Williams and Boldin our emergency QBs? lol)

The way Johnson lit it up in pre season 2 years ago, I'm betting he has an inside shot at #2 QB. If Kory can make the PS squad, that will be a big victory for him and his fans.
Originally posted by Giedi:
It's funny how the entire NFL hangs on to Jim words regarding QB's. His development of Colin and Alex has earned him that. He's probably going to be more careful in the future about what he says regarding QB's if suddenly our needs at the QB position increase. In the meantime, in my opinion, I think he's the closest thing to Bill Walsh as an NFL QB developer this current era has.

Haven't you heard? Kap is the new Romo
I miss BJ Daniels
let the QB whisperer have a few weeks to work with him , he could be fun to watch in this system during pre-season, the same goes for Sunshine