There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft - 4th Round - Pick 129, the Niners select Dontae Johnson DB North Carolina Stat

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He is one of the most intriguing picks to me! I love his size,speed along with being a double major in college...it will be interesting to see him in training camp and pre-season

Agree and with more and more and more talk of playing press, this guy fits the bill. I'm happy to hear the other "big guy" in Cook is also playing well also. This should be THE most intriguing group to watch evolve...the DB's outside of Brock/Reid.

Agreed! I've been reading a lot of posts on ESPN, CBS, NFL network etc where a ton of Seattle fans are laughing at how bad our secondary will be based on lost FAs. But I just think we have gotten rid of the weak links and have added younger, faster, and bigger players. I guess I'm the glass is half full kinda guy, but I think our secondary will be more athletic with more INTs and not as many personal fouls.

And don't forget "experience in our system." Brock, Culliver, Cox, Morris and Reid have a ton of experience in our system and have specifc roles (starters, nickle, slot, FS, etc.). The only guys we need to get up to speed is a vetaran in Bethea (all reports are he and Reid are working very well together already) and "backups" in Cook, Johnson, Acker, etc. Plus Ward is almost a "luxury" pick right now...take your time and heal physically and he can be brought along slowly. Right now there is nothing but very positive reports on the guys you want to make that jump from last year in Morris, Johnson, Cook, Cox, etc. Culliver is the only question mark at the moment but we all know that dude can ball so he can take his time healing physically as well which allows his backups to continue to get 100% of the snaps and continue with their development...and if any of them need to step in to a starting LCB, I'm already feeling confident in Cook/Johnson esp. if we do plan on running more press coverage.

Yup a lot to be excited about!
IM predicting it now, this guy will make the team and have a significant role on defense.
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
IM predicting it now, this guy will make the team and have a significant role on defense.

Is your name Dontae Johnson? Either way, I'm possibly buying what you're selling!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
IM predicting it now, this guy will make the team and have a significant role on defense.

Is your name Dontae Johnson? Either way, I'm possibly buying what you're selling!

Maybe
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
IM predicting it now, this guy will make the team and have a significant role on defense.

Is your name Dontae Johnson? Either way, I'm possibly buying what you're selling!

Maybe

Kick ass for us then! Ha
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by EastOakland9er:
IM predicting it now, this guy will make the team and have a significant role on defense.

Is your name Dontae Johnson? Either way, I'm possibly buying what you're selling!

Maybe

Kick ass for us then! Ha

You betcha
He has a tantalizing combo of speed and size, whether he'll put it all together remains to be seen.
I could see this guy being a stud.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I could see this guy being a stud.

I'm pumped to see how the secondary as a whole comes together! loving the size and speed of Johnson and Cook
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm pumped to see how the secondary as a whole comes together! loving the size and speed of Johnson and Cook

Me too...and Brock/Culliver have always been very physical as well. I'm very curious to see how they handle press against our own in Crabtree, Boldin, VD, Johnson, etc.
Its hard for a 4th round DB to make noise on a Superbowl caliber team who has a great defense already.

But every report i see mentions Johnson making a play. And not just against camp fodder. He is making plays against some of our starting WRs as well.

If he makes the team he'll have earned it and that means he's a legitimate talent.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Agreed! I've been reading a lot of posts on ESPN, CBS, NFL network etc where a ton of Seattle fans are laughing at how bad our secondary will be based on lost FAs. But I just think we have gotten rid of the weak links and have added younger, faster, and bigger players. I guess I'm the glass is half full kinda guy, but I think our secondary will be more athletic with more INTs and not as many personal fouls.


Brock was our highest rated corner last year.
Culliver was our highest rated corner two years ago.

So we have the highest rated corners of the last two years finally starting together. Seattle fans don't have any idea about any of this.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Brock was our highest rated corner last year.
Culliver was our highest rated corner two years ago.

So we have the highest rated corners of the last two years finally starting together. Seattle fans don't have any idea about any of this.

Some Niner fans don't know either.

Srsly, I think Rogers and Brown were both addition by subtraction. Brock + Culliver is going to be a bigger upgrade than people realize. It's their time. They're young, fast, more athletic cover corners. and they both play the ball well.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Brock was our highest rated corner last year.
Culliver was our highest rated corner two years ago.

So we have the highest rated corners of the last two years finally starting together. Seattle fans don't have any idea about any of this.

Some Niner fans don't know either.

Srsly, I think Rogers and Brown were both addition by subtraction. Brock + Culliver is going to be a bigger upgrade than people realize. It's their time. They're young, fast, more athletic cover corners. and they both play the ball well.

Cook, Cox, Johnson, Morris -- All have stood out in camp as well. Cook's first INT ever. Cox had 2 ints today. Johnson has been a beast and Morris had 4 PDs.

Acker -- nothing yet

Reaser is IR for the year.

After Cooper, I'm worried about cutting Acker. Maybe he has a high ankle sprain.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Cook, Cox, Johnson, Morris -- All have stood out in camp as well. Cook's first INT ever. Cox had 2 ints today. Johnson has been a beast and Morris had 4 PDs.

Acker -- nothing yet

Reaser is IR for the year.

After Cooper, I'm worried about cutting Acker. Maybe he has a high ankle sprain.

Yes, the depth appears to be very good. I hope these guys live up to their training camp hype. I feel really good about Ward and Johnson.

Agree on Acker. Don't want another Marcus Cooper situation. Cutting a talented, young kid we drafted to hold onto a short-term veteran.