• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Could he provide solid depth as a back up safety...maybe convert him, see if he's worth keeping for depth during camp / preseason

We're too thin at safety, especially if Reid leaves... Ward is not a safe safety to keep around

No

For 1 mill...sure.

Or minimum wage ...

Since he can't look back at the ball and gets burned a lot, wouldn't it be easier if he made the transition. I only mentioned it because he played safety in college and we are not deep in that area (Reid maybe gone and Ward is not dependable).

Led the team in tackles...he's got that going for him.

Along with being a vet on the team / familiarity with the scheme... Idk how he would pan out but it can't hurt to let him compete in camp/preseason for a back up spot (we need depth). At least the ball and WR would be in front of him most times
Originally posted by socalniner:

John let Peters slip away, dont make the same mistake twice!

I'd bring him back on a min deal and move him to safety exclusively. He knows how to tackle in space and most importantly on this team, stay healthy.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Funny that people try to call him TRASH on here. Sure he didn't play up to what we think he could, but he started for us, thus meaning he was better than everyone else we had at the position outside of Witherspoon and probably our slot CB. I like the idea of bringing him back if he will come back cheap. Worse case he is a capable back up to whom ever we draft or sign in FA to replace him as a starter.
Potentially seeing what he could be at safety also makes sense to me, because he has the measurements and the game to be a good safety, thus having him on the roster could help us, by having a guy who can play multiple positions on the roster, and most notably be able to stay healthy, unlike Ward who can play multiple positions.

He / his agent must know the team is on the upswing big time. I don't think he wants to split, he should be more than willing to take a reasonable deal and make the conversion back to safety (just to see if he's got anything there).

Ward is injury prone to the max and Reid (I'd like to keep him) might be gone so, I hope we draft back up with one of our two 3rd rounders...
Although I think he goes to Seattle or Chicago if he is not brought back, but do yall think the coaches would like to see what Sherman can influence on someone like Johnson...who never turns his head around?

He has the size, speed, and experience. He played well before offenses tasted blood (thanks to Hopkins) and kept attacking the guy.

If he comes back for a one or two year deal, I'd love to see if he improves his game under Sherm.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He got benched multiple times with this same coaching staff. He's gone.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Although I think he goes to Seattle or Chicago if he is not brought back, but do yall think the coaches would like to see what Sherman can influence on someone like Johnson...who never turns his head around?

He has the size, speed, and experience. He played well before offenses tasted blood (thanks to Hopkins) and kept attacking the guy.

If he comes back for a one or two year deal, I'd love to see if he improves his game under Sherm.

I'd re sign him for 1.5 mill. Maybe a better pass rush and surrounding cast could help. Also knowledge of the system.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM ]
I'd re sign him if he gives us money to play here.
[ Edited by SF_Warrior on Mar 13, 2018 at 5:38 AM ]
  • Stud
Originally posted by GEEK:
He got benched multiple times with this same coaching staff. He's gone.

Good. Had potential, didn't show much. Let's move on.
another shade of grey. next.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
That's where I am at with Johnson, if he's willing to come back on a cheap, like basically 2 million or less a year, then I am game for it. He has the size and tools that are needed in Saleh's D. If brought back, he should be a back up to who ever we get in FA or draft that we plan to start opposite of Witherspoon. I like the idea of trying Johnson out at some safety positions in practice and perhaps in pre season games to see how he does, to see if he can not only back up the outside corners, but perhaps be able to back up a safety spot or both? No harm in trying him out in the safety role to see if something is there.

I'm pretty sure Joan from payroll would do a better job. Draft a 7th round rook with height and he probabky does just as poor.
I'm surprised but delighted he got his $91K incentives. Now i hope he takes that with him, and don't let the door hit him in the backside on the way out.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I get a feeling he gets resigned...

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

He was benched during games for guys signed off the street (L. Hall/ T. Powell/), please no.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Now Jimmy G is gonna test him
Why niner talk
Share 49ersWebzone