LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Love hearing about the plays Johnson is making in camp so far. Really like the comment from Fangio that the kid is going to be even better when it clicks & he plays with more aggression & confidence on the field. Great pickup by the front office!
Without a doubt, this is THE group that can make us...or break us this yr. I haven't seen any film, but the reports sure have been positive. And, it sounds like DJ is really playing well. Depth at CB? Wow. From all reports it sounds like we will have some super DBs this yr. And to win, we have to.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Without a doubt, this is THE group that can make us...or break us this yr. I haven't seen any film, but the reports sure have been positive. And, it sounds like DJ is really playing well. Depth at CB? Wow. From all reports it sounds like we will have some super DBs this yr. And to win, we have to.

As long as the DL can pressure the QB consistantly, I think the secondary will be fine.
^^^ The reverse is true as well. Now that we have CB's who can play tough, physical, jamming press coverage at the LOS, it no longer gives the QB an easy "out" like we saw so much under Brown and Rogers in off coverage schemes. So with no outs and us physically dominating the receivers, it gives the OLB's and DL extra time to collapse the pocket and acquire "coverage sacks."
It could really help the Niners if this guy is just amazing right out of the blocks since they didn't go the FA route at CB.
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ The reverse is true as well. Now that we have CB's who can play tough, physical, jamming press coverage at the LOS, it no longer gives the QB an easy "out" like we saw so much under Brown and Rogers in off coverage schemes. So with no outs and us physically dominating the receivers, it gives the OLB's and DL extra time to collapse the pocket and acquire "coverage sacks."

congrats on that hall of fame
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

As long as the DL can pressure the QB consistantly, I think the secondary will be fine.

Yes but you also want the QB to see nothing but covered receivers AND DB's that can make plays on the ball and gather interceptions.

If any of our DB's can become a lock-down CB that QB's stay away from, then we can force QB's to play half the field along with applying pressure.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:

congrats on that hall of fame

Thanks bro!!!
-It was tougher to see the 49ers defense on the far field, but it was clear that Ahmad Brooks recorded a sack on Tyrod Taylor and later broke up a Joe Flacco pass on a designed rollout. Perrish Cox recorded an interception on Taylor and rookie cornerback Dontae Johnson recorded an interception of his own after giving up a 50-yard deep touchdown to Ravens rookie receiver Michael Campanaro. Second-year safety Eric Reid nearly recorded a diving interception on Taylor, too. First-round draft pick Jimmie Ward was observed breaking up a deep sideline pass thrown by Taylor.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Observations-from-Day-1-of-49ers-Ravens-Camp/9bfea899-711e-48b0-979f-955abca93213
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM ]
This guy's gonna be good.

Originally posted by HaiGuise:

I think so too... Who knows, maybe a 'non-Dick Sherman'

Not that I'm disagreeing, but on what are you basing this prediction?
I'm so excited to see him develop. He's gonna be a steal!
I hope so...we need another dose of internal development from our CBs. We need to start packing our roster with CBs each year and let them battle it out. Johnson is obviously taking this opportunity to heart and has seemed to study and play accordingly.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Not that I'm disagreeing, but on what are you basing this prediction?

Measurables, camp reports...that 40 pick 6 he had during practice, and that sweet Baalke mojo.

[ Edited by HaiGuise on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone