LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Don't see why not. Always liked him.

Good coaching makes a hell of a difference. We'll see his true potential this year. I'm with you, if he balls out and pushes Witherspoon to the bench for 1 year, better for everybody.

It's the same DB coach as last year correct? I'm sure Saleh/Shanahan decide who ends up starting but I'm sure the DB coach has a lot of say as well.

Hafley...good call Lucky. Let's see if, under this scheme, if he sees DJ as a more natural fit... good sign he's taking first team reps early.

Gut predictions?

DJ starts week 1 is mine cause the good matchup with Carolina. Probably ride hot hand as soon as game kicks off.

Man, tough call!

My gut says Robinson and Johnson outside and Williams at the slot. But I don't know if that's permanent...like you noted...if either slip at all, Redmond for Williams, Witherspoon/Reaser for Johnson.

Since we'll be in cover 3 a lot, we can't dismiss the notion that Reaser or even Redmond may be better fits outside too at the #2 to pair with Robinson.

Good coaching makes a hell of a difference. We'll see his true potential this year. I'm with you, if he balls out and pushes Witherspoon to the bench for 1 year, better for everybody.

It's the same DB coach as last year correct? I'm sure Saleh/Shanahan decide who ends up starting but I'm sure the DB coach has a lot of say as well.

Hafley...good call Lucky. Let's see if, under this scheme, if he sees DJ as a more natural fit... good sign he's taking first team reps early.

Gut predictions?

DJ starts week 1 is mine cause the good matchup with Carolina. Probably ride hot hand as soon as game kicks off.

Man, tough call!

My gut says Robinson and Johnson outside and Williams at the slot. But I don't know if that's permanent...like you noted...if either slip at all, Redmond for Williams, Witherspoon/Reaser for Johnson.

Since we'll be in cover 3 a lot, we can't dismiss the notion that Reaser or even Redmond may be better fits outside too at the #2 to pair with Robinson.

I agree a 100% with everything... But didn't spoon have success against shifty WRs and held his own vs John Ross if im not mistaken?

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

I agree a 100% with everything... But didn't spoon have success against shifty WRs and held his own vs John Ross if im not mistaken?

Spoon had a ton of success against everyone. I only hold reservation with him starting because his own coach in college said he needs 18 months of training, diet, development, etc. to start reaching his full potential.

So I don't want to rush him. I don't know how the coaching staff feels about him at this juncture but they may share similar sentiments...why rush him?

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

Spoon had a ton of success against everyone. I only hold reservation with him starting because his own coach in college said he needs 18 months of training, diet, development, etc. to start reaching his full potential.

So I don't want to rush him. I don't know how the coaching staff feels about him at this juncture but they may share similar sentiments...why rush him?

Culliver and Robinson got work as rookies... Not about rush, if the overall talent is there compared to DJ or Reaser then get him out there. If he has a few mistakes so be it, perhaps he learns and makes up for it with a pick or shuts his guy down after that point.

I was just making a point that hes shifty enough we might not need to go with Reaser or Redmond.

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

Culliver and Robinson got work as rookies... Not about rush, if the overall talent is there compared to DJ or Reaser then get him out there. If he has a few mistakes so be it, perhaps he learns and makes up for it with a pick or shuts his guy down after that point.

I was just making a point that hes shifty enough we might not need to go with Reaser or Redmond.

Gotcha... that's the flip side to that stance. I think, once the coaching staff can guage our front 7, they may be more inclined to give him a go and let him learn while he plays.

Yeah, it sure depends on how many DBs we want to keep.

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

Gotcha... that's the flip side to that stance. I think, once the coaching staff can guage our front 7, they may be more inclined to give him a go and let him learn while he plays.

Yeah, it sure depends on how many DBs we want to keep.

Im praying and am okay to be considered a lil over confident lol...
Lynch and Elvis combine for 20+ sacks.

I hope we dont cut Reaser and he makes it as a 6th CB. Good depth, contract year factor
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 4, 2017 at 1:51 AM ]

I hope we dont cut Reaser and he makes it as a 6th CB. Good depth, contract year factor

Yeah, I have Reaser on the bubble right now.

RCB: Dontae Johnson; Ahkello Witherspoon
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; Will Redmond
LCB: Rashard Robinson

Yeah, I have Reaser on the bubble right now.

RCB: Dontae Johnson; Ahkello Witherspoon
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; Will Redmond
LCB: Rashard Robinson

LBs-Bow,Foster,Smith,Ray-Ray,Brooks,Harold.

DL- Thomas,Mitchell,Buck,AA,Elvis,Lynch,Blair,Dial,Carradine.

CB-Robinson,Spoon,DJ,Redmond,Williams,Reaser.

Safeties-Ward,Reid,Tartt,Jerome.

Theres my 25 for D. 25 for offense.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 4, 2017 at 2:57 PM ]
I love this!

CB Dontae Johnson. Carlos Hyde hit Dontae Johnson in the jaw. Johnson didn't see the hit coming. Hyde was jogging down the sideline after he made a short catch in the flat – the play seemed over. But as he passed Johnson, Hyde extended his forearm and blasted the cornerback in the chin. The hit seemed dirty and intentional, and it almost knocked off Johnson's helmet. The helmet stayed on only because the chin-strap got caught around Johnson's nose. Johnson pulled the chin-strap back down to his jawline and jogged back on the field for the next play, and a few plays later when Hyde took a handoff and ran in Johnson's direction, Johnson lowered his shoulder and hit Hyde as hard as he could and Hyde's feet flew into the air and he landed on his back. I love football justice. Every play provides an opportunity for revenge. Players don't need to yell or fight or act tough like they do in baseball and basketball.
^love it

I love this!

CB Dontae Johnson. Carlos Hyde hit Dontae Johnson in the jaw. Johnson didn't see the hit coming. Hyde was jogging down the sideline after he made a short catch in the flat – the play seemed over. But as he passed Johnson, Hyde extended his forearm and blasted the cornerback in the chin. The hit seemed dirty and intentional, and it almost knocked off Johnson's helmet. The helmet stayed on only because the chin-strap got caught around Johnson's nose. Johnson pulled the chin-strap back down to his jawline and jogged back on the field for the next play, and a few plays later when Hyde took a handoff and ran in Johnson's direction, Johnson lowered his shoulder and hit Hyde as hard as he could and Hyde's feet flew into the air and he landed on his back. I love football justice. Every play provides an opportunity for revenge. Players don't need to yell or fight or act tough like they do in baseball and basketball.

Football....the greatest sport in the world!

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

I haven't heard anything about Witherspoon since camp started. Any word on him? (I know he has his own thread , I'm just lazy right now.)
How is my bae, my spirit animal, doing in camp?
Originally posted by Sourball:

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

I haven't heard anything about Witherspoon since camp started. Any word on him? (I know he has his own thread , I'm just lazy right now.)

He's still working in with the 1's and 2's and has a golden opportunity to knock Reaser out while he's injured. The real battle is between Dontae and Witherspoon with Dontae ahead right now.
Originally posted by Sourball:

Gut predictions?

Man, tough call!

He's still working in with the 1's and 2's and has a golden opportunity to knock Reaser out while he's injured. The real battle is between Dontae and Witherspoon with Dontae ahead right now.

I kno this is stupid bc its the past but i sit here wondering if Harbaughs staff was still coaching would DJ already be a starter with experience bc when he was drafted he showed promise but as soon as the staff left he wasn't used and he regressed, I think he has the size and speed to be a good player in this league, the battle between him and Witherspoon I expect him to win..having Robinson, DJ and Redmond in the slot with Witherspoon and Williams the 4th and 5th CB is a nice young group of CBs to grow together..
Share 49ersWebzone