LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Competition breeds success.
DJ taking first team reps...Reaser working in.
We are looking good at DB this year. Rebuilding our way back to glory.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:

Hopefully a lot of our smaller, shifter, laterally quick receivers help these big bodies stay sharp for both kinds of receivers.
Retooled and rechooled; the affirmation of pride that this franchise will be able to have in our young DB leaders is amazing.

Ladies and Gentlemen; we are on the precipice of another golden era of defensive dominance.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Hopefully a lot of our smaller, shifter, laterally quick receivers help these big bodies stay sharp for both kinds of receivers.

Great point.. some great offenses/defenses became GREAT by practicing against players that have the advantage to their weaknesses. Of course relentless competition helps you become better too.
These new look hungry superstars are going to aim for the stars and realise their full potential by learning the hard way and giving each other a lickin' at practice; old school style.
These new look hungry superstars are going to aim for the stars and realise their full potential by learning the hard way and giving each other a lickin' at practice; old school style.

I think we're gonna have several guys to emerge for us this year like they did for us in 2011
Retooeld and reschooled, in 10 years time we will look upon this year as the dawn of the 9ers next Decade of Dominance.

Always liked this guy. Pulling for him...

http://m.49ers.com/news/article-2/Dont-Sleep-on-Dontae-Johnson-in-49ers-Cornerback-Competition/d58f8c9f-7cb4-45ff-9f9f-b73b2b11e8b4

I just want 2 solid starter CBs, and anohter pair that could start. Same for safeties. 2 bona fide starters, and 2 guys who could step in and not have a drop in quality. Both in coverage and tackling abilities.

For the past 2 yrs we have been so horrible ,esp in front 7 , then with 2 major injuries, it has muddled what the DBs have been able to do. To be honest, how could they possibly have looked worth a hang if they got bupkus in front of them. And that pretty well describes us on D. Bupkus. Sure the injury to Bow and Arik were team wreckers, but i could be easily convinced our CBs and Ss looked awful because they got zero help in front. It wasn't THAT bad, but still, it was bad,, bad.

So now, it has been so long since i have seen red and gold play D in the D backfield that i have no idea what to expect. I had high hopes for RR, and DJ, but fairly, it would be pretty hard for any DB to look good when the front was just ....well, absent. Even when both Bow adn Arik were playing, we still weren't great. So two long yrs and I've seen nothing in the DBackield that made me hopeful.

Now, i realize it would have been impossible to grade anybody, with a front end such as we had. So hopefully, i am surprised this yr instead of just waiting to see ho-hum again in back. Akhiello has some good tape from last yr, but he's new to NFL. I would hope he gets awhile to get adjusted before starting. Probably will end up being worked in, which seems pretty standard. I just really , really want to see some talent back there this yr. Sure we had holes everywhere, both O and D, and you don't fix all that in one FA and draft. Hopefully we got lots better, and the front 7 (which i have high hopes for ) helps the guys in back, so they don't just watch one completed pass after another.

The front 7 couldn't stop anybody from running on us, esp right up the gut. If we can do that, THEN we will be able to see what we actually have on the back end. For the last two yrs, our incompetence...HC, DC, OC, position coaches...and no perceptible talent...has been sickening. I see it changing, and love our new leadership. I like our new talent and am really pleased with guys we never will see again here. We need some luck, we got some talent, we got good leadership both HC and GM, and for the first time, we got some leaders that i believe will elevate on the field and become young leaders. Wtih all that, only good things can come from it... Let's play football....good football.
my dude finally getting a chance
  • thl408
Crazy that he's the veteran of the CB corp with just 3 years under his belt. For DJ, it'll be his 4th DC in 4 years (Fangio, Mangini, JoN, Saleh).

http://m.49ers.com/news/article-2/Dont-Sleep-on-Dontae-Johnson-in-49ers-Cornerback-Competition/d58f8c9f-7cb4-45ff-9f9f-b73b2b11e8b4

Same. Unlike a player like Tank, DJ has actually shown something when he's been given the opportunity. Unfortunately, he must be one of the worst practice players ever because, regardless of how well he plays in games, he always finds himself relegated to the bench.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Same. Unlike a player like Tank, DJ has actually shown something when he's been given the opportunity. Unfortunately, he must be one of the worst practice players ever because, regardless of how well he plays in games, he always finds himself relegated to the bench.

I couldn't agree more. Plus if he wins the spot, it give Witherspoon a full year to bulk up some, refine his technique, and compete next year... his college coach said he needs 18 months to develop anyhow.
Share 49ersWebzone