LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Liked this pick. Another long CB in the Dick Sherkins mold.
I really like this pick. His measurables are really nice. I'm eager to see how the defensive coaching staff works with him.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Derk Shermanigan
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I know absolutely nothing about him.
This is now the "we drafted Dontae Johnson" thread. He's 6'2", 200, very well built for the position. 4.45 40, 38 inch vertical, was one of the guys at the Combine for the 60 yard shuttle. Pretty fluid hips for a bigger defensive back too. Downside is he's got pretty small hands, average arm length, not a ballhawk at all.

He's yet another college safety that Baalke is drafting to play cornerback. He has experience at CB already, along with safety and is a quality special teams performer too. Doesn't tackle real well, hence he's moving away from safety.

"This kid can play corner and safety. As a safety, I don't like his tackling skill set, but as a corner it's adequate. Teams either liked him or didn't like him at all. He's a better athlete than a football player. You just have to develop this kid." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/dontae-johnson?id=2543739

#t=37

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Nice! I'm betting Donatelle is going to have his hands full with these raw rookies. I'm looking forward to seeing the preliminary products in pre-season.
Certainly going to be competition at the CB position this camp. All 3 we took day 3 look interesting, Johnson will have the best shot to contribute early on.
McShay and Kiper on him:

I'm intrigued.....
Originally posted by Giedi:
Nice! I'm betting Donatelle is going to have his hands full with these raw rookies. I'm looking forward to seeing the preliminary products in pre-season.

Agree. Can't wait to see this guy during the pre-season!

We surely added size to the CB corps. He's close in size to Chris Cook. Hate to say it but we're taking a page from Seattle when rebuilding our secondary.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
We surely added size to the CB corps. He's close in size to Chris Cook. Hate to say it but we're taking a page from Seattle when rebuilding our secondary.
The one part of their team in which they have an advantage over us. Hopefully, these guys are capable of elevating their game(s).
Could be another Tramaine Brock or Dashon Goldson. Developed through hard work. Learn technics and from experience when put into the lineup.
Baalke:

What do you like about your new corner CB Dontae Johnson?
"6-2, 200 pounds. Runs 4.44, verified. Has played safety. Has played corner. Versatility. Intelligence. Very smart football player and an A-plus-plus character guy."

So he'll have an opportunity to compete for other positions aside from corner?
"Right now, we're going to lock him in and put him at corner and let him go to work. Once again, with all these young guys, the more focused you can get them in one area, at least early on, the better chance they have of developing. So, you want to give them the best chance that you can for them to be successful and the best thing for him is to put him out there at corner and let him go to work."

How much do any of these guys play press in college, at NC State for example?
"A lot, and quite honestly, that's one of the problems when you're watching receivers. You don't see them get pressed. So when people say, 'Well how's he going to do against press?' You tell me. We did one guy that, in fact we did all of the guys that we had ranked at a certain level, all the receivers, had our guys go through and cut up all of the plays that they went against press, even if they weren't throwing the ball on that down, just to see how they got off of press. And the most we saw one guy had 20 snaps against press coverage. A lot of them were down in the single digits, seven, eight, nine snaps in all the film we had on them. So, it's hard to say."

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page39/#VDwMKDg4VgFQAS2o.99
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Could be another Tramaine Brock or Dashon Goldson. Developed through hard work. Learn technics and from experience when put into the lineup.

Let's hope he puts the work into early & often!
Share 49ersWebzone