LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

He's done nothing but play well, all throughout pre-season and the regular season when he's been given the chance.

6'2" 200 lb man-to-man cover corner. Plays the ball and fills hard against the run. What's not to like? He should absolutely be starting. He's got a lot of talent.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He's done nothing but play well, all throughout pre-season and the regular season when he's been given the chance.

6'2" 200 lb man-to-man cover corner. Plays the ball and fills hard against the run. What's not to like? He should absolutely be starting. He's got a lot of talent.

coaching gaffe complete and utter.

johnson would probably be rated one of the top corners out there. dude just shines every time he gets a chance. you don't bench a kid who comes in and locks up dez bryant off the bench in his 1st career game. the only time he did bad was in the slot he's not a slot corner but outside? you just don't draft guys with his skills every year.
Why u no play
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Why u no play

Loved when we had him and Cromartie in jam-press and filling the run against the Falcons!

I think Mangini must be more partial to Acker and Brock for his zone schemes?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Why u no play

Loved when we had him and Cromartie in jam-press and filling the run against the Falcons!

Think he matches up with Calvin this week?
I like DJ. Reminds me of cully
man, our team sucks. And when we do have talent, tomsula does not play them.
Why u no play

Think he matches up with Calvin this week?

Great question!
Why does it not surprise me that the people who love to slam Baalke draft picks aren't here? I really want an open competition next season for the two starting corner positions. Let the best two men win. I think if they had a legit competition, Dontae Johnson would be one of those starters.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
He may not be starting but is he is playing. Anyone that has watched the last few games (condolences), could see that.

Why u no play

Agree. Johnson & Cromartie played great in that game
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Why does it not surprise me that the people who love to slam Baalke draft picks aren't here? I really want an open competition next season for the two starting corner positions. Let the best two men win. I think if they had a legit competition, Dontae Johnson would be one of those starters.

Hey, Baalke can draft DBs and LBs that's a fact. But as for WRs, OL, TEs Not so much
Why u no play

I already like DJ, but Cromartie def impressed me. Did well last year too.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Hey, Baalke can draft DBs and LBs that's a fact. But as for WRs, OL, TEs Not so much

Drafted Iupati and Davis and brown looks promising? WR has been his sore spot IMO. One bad TE doesn't mean he can't evaluate the position.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Why u no play

I already like DJ, but Cromartie def impressed me. Did well last year too.

Yeah, I thought he played well at the end of last year as well. I think it must be that Mangini and Fangio prefer smaller zone DB's instead over the physical jam-press WR's in Johnson and Cromartie. I guess it's great we have both and can shift on the fly (both do play in DIME/NICKEL).

But I guess I'd love to see more of what that duo can do against other NFL WR combinations (i.e. bigger WR's vs. smaller, shiftier WR's).
Share 49ersWebzone