There are 252 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Originally posted by mr_P:
DJ is one of the better players on this team. its a luxury to have a 6'3 CB that can play.

hell yea it is
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Hopefully Johnson and not Wright starts on the outside opposite of Brock. Ward can play the slot. Wright should be our vet #4 guy not a starter. Not sure why Johnson was playing so late in the game with the backups. My guess is they wanted to see Wright vs starters or he is on the inside track to starting and Johnson is behind him.
It's not going to happen if Ward's foot injury doesn't improve.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Hopefully Johnson and not Wright starts on the outside opposite of Brock. Ward can play the slot. Wright should be our vet #4 guy not a starter. Not sure why Johnson was playing so late in the game with the backups. My guess is they wanted to see Wright vs starters or he is on the inside track to starting and Johnson is behind him.
It's not going to happen if Ward's foot injury doesn't improve.

I'd much rather keep Ward as the primary back-up at Safety while "grooming" him to start when Bethea retires/cut.

I really don't see any reason for him to be our nickle back.

I'm pretty disappointed in our 1st round picks these last two years. Both players were/are considered projects.
After showing some good play in his rookie year why isnt this dude getting any playing time ????
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
After showing some good play in his rookie year why isnt this dude getting any playing time ????

probably spoke up behind the scenes and got on Mangini's s**t list....

haven't seen him play a bad game.

I don't know how Acker and Reaser moved ahead of him to "compete" for the starting role.

And I like both of those guys.
This kid played well as a rookie and in preseason. He has done nothing wrong on the field. What happened? He should have been starting over Acker from day one. Love his size... this is baffling to me.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
This kid played well as a rookie and in preseason. He has done nothing wrong on the field. What happened? He should have been starting over Acker from day one. Love his size... this is baffling to me.

A lot of things we do under Mangini is baffling.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He's a true man to man corner that isn't a good fit in a zone scheme.

Ironically, that's also the strength of the rest of the defense. This scheme is a bad fit for our team.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He's a true man to man corner that isn't a good fit in a zone scheme.

Ironically, that's also the strength of the rest of the defense. This scheme is a bad fit for our team.

This, 100%.

Have Brock and Johnson in press man, Reid and Bethea deeper, throw in more Big Dime with Ward, Tartt, Acker/Reaser, etc. Get Bowman and Wilhoite off the field. Neither can cover right now esp. in trail mode.
Originally posted by GEEK:
This scheme is a bad fit for our team.

So much this.

Whatever changes are made are fine by me. What we had out there last nite, 441 yd passing, plus the winning TD in the last 1:51? It is probably a combo of talent and scheme. But Wilhoite and Bow just flat out can't cover. We have to do better than this...441? wow. And DJ? should be playing all the time. Whether he is ready to play as Adrian says on an island, or not, what we have isn't working so put DJ in and leave him. Sure he'll make some mistakes, but we just saw 441 yds put up and we got two guys in there that flast out cannot cover. Strange, you would think mangini saw that and would have made a change....but didn't.
Where is Johnson??? Why is he getting no playtime?
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Bad fit for Mangini's scheme. Total man to man CB. Mangini is forcing his roster to adjust to his scheme rather than adjusting his scheme to fit his players.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 28, 2015 at 7:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Bad fit for Mangini's scheme. Total man to man CB. Mangini is forcing his roster to adjust to his scheme rather than adjusting his scheme to fit his players.

It's disgusting to watch the misuse of players by this coaching staff
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It's disgusting to watch the misuse of players by this coaching staff

my main gripe is not using Carradine, Armstead and Lynch on passing downs ...but DJ does need to get more snaps to sharpen his tools
Share 49ersWebzone