LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Originally posted by Niners418:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
With Baalke making little effort to resign Culliver, no effort to resign Cox, and not having much interest at all in the free agent cornerback market, it leads me to believe he is very confident in starting Dontae Johnson on the outside to open the season if need be. I'm confident in Johnson too. He looked like he belonged on the field at the end of last season and I think he has a ton of potential.

Agreed. We've got two starters in Dontae and Brock. Reaser and Acker are both very interesting as well. Really think all we need to do is bring in a veteran through FA and spend a high pick on one.
we've got chris cook who was coming along nicely before being injured for the season. resign him and get someone in the draft.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cooper22:
With Baalke making little effort to resign Culliver, no effort to resign Cox, and not having much interest at all in the free agent cornerback market, it leads me to believe he is very confident in starting Dontae Johnson on the outside to open the season if need be. I'm confident in Johnson too. He looked like he belonged on the field at the end of last season and I think he has a ton of potential.

I'll never forget the first game against Dallas. Cully and Brock both went down in the first half and DJ stepped up big time.
They are replaying the SB on NFL network right now. Watch how NE uses Vereen, that's how we'll use Bush.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
To his credit his foot was still broken from what I understand, that's really hard to play with especially in the slot. I think he'll breakout this year

I hope he doesn't Break his foot again this year.
I think Baalke wasnt agressive in FA for CBs because he really sees a breakout season for dontae johnson and ward. Probably has a lot of faith in acker also.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
They are replaying the SB on NFL network right now. Watch how NE uses Vereen, that's how we'll use Bush.

ummm. wrong thread?
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Mar 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

ummm. wrong thread?

lol..all random.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I'm excited for this guy starting next year. He played well and also has some things to work on in the offseason. The thing is though, he played major snaps as a rookie, got experience, knows what to expect in the NFL, and knows exactly what he needs to work on.
Originally posted by pd24:
I'm excited for this guy starting next year. He played well and also has some things to work on in the offseason. The thing is though, he played major snaps as a rookie, got experience, knows what to expect in the NFL, and knows exactly what he needs to work on.

Seriously. And I really like some of the chess pieces Mangini and Tim Lewis have now. They can start Brock and Johnson outside but then when we play teams that move their big WR's inside to the slot (like Brandon Marshall) or have big, tall TE's like Graham, Mangini can slide Johnson inside to cover them and bring in Cook on the outside and not lose any size (i.e. can still play jam-press, press, etc.). Plus I'm excited to see what McFadden brings back and esp. Acker and Reaser and how Ward is developing after healing up. We should have a really nice nickle package.
lights out again on the outside. displayed the speed. he came up and hit on run plays and almost had a pick 6

im telling you now. he's going to be a top corner in this league on the outside.

IMO, he played the best of our CB yesterday.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, he played the best of our CB yesterday.
so far so good
I think all of our corners other than him are above average. I think DJ is heads above them and may end up being great though. He should be a definite lock to start. His style of press coverage helps eliminate those short throws over the middle that keep killing us on third and longs. IMO he fits the scheme better than everyone else. Even though our dbs looked pretty mediocre yesterday I see a lot of promise for us to have a great secondary.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I think all of our corners other than him are above average. I think DJ is heads above them and may end up being great though. He should be a definite lock to start. His style of press coverage helps eliminate those short throws over the middle that keep killing us on third and longs. IMO he fits the scheme better than everyone else. Even though our dbs looked pretty mediocre yesterday I see a lot of promise for us to have a great secondary.

Really liked the play of the young secondary. Tartt, McCray, Acker, Reaser and of course Johnson. Our DIME and NICKEL packages should be improved as long as they continue to grow and Reid/Bethea shine. Wright and Brock are the seasoned vets and I'm looking to seeing them behind the front 7 play, new scheme, DL and pass rushing rotations, etc.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

Really liked the play of the young secondary. Tartt, McCray, Acker, Reaser and of course Johnson. Our DIME and NICKEL packages should be improved as long as they continue to grow and Reid/Bethea shine. Wright and Brock are the seasoned vets and I'm looking to seeing them behind the front 7 play, new scheme, DL and pass rushing rotations, etc.

If we can get sold play from all of our young secondary players, we should be ok.

Anyone for the idea of making, s**t can't remember his name...lol, the Safety turned nickle back 1st round pick last year, but making him the number one Safety on the depth chart to come in if Reid of Bethea get hurt. Screw trying to turn him into a nickle. We've got 3 young CBs in Johnson, Acker, and Reaser that if needed could be our 3 main CBs.(two starters and one nickle)
Share 49ersWebzone