LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
really looking forward to him stepping up as a starter after an impressive rookie campaign. 6"2' 4.4 has a mean streak and can flat out cover. with the new defensive backs coach track record we should see him continue to develop and become a really good corner, even dominant maybe.

Love the nasty streak the kid has & can play all over the field on defense. Going to be a major piece of the defense next year for sure!
Originally posted by tohara3:
really looking forward to him stepping up as a starter after an impressive rookie campaign. 6"2' 4.4 has a mean streak and can flat out cover. with the new defensive backs coach track record we should see him continue to develop and become a really good corner, even dominant maybe.

Love the nasty streak the kid has & can play all over the field on defense. Going to be a major piece of the defense next year for sure!

and with more pressure applied he can probably get more interceptions. he's already shown a knack to not let the play happen in front of him. if he has a chance to break it up he does. if he has a chance to intercept he does. long arms and is not afraid to tackle. he can play the slot but i really like him on the outside taking someone away.
Na...
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I didn't get to see the game tonight but it sounded like he got burned a few times (got caught peeking in the backfield)? I see in the end, we gave up yards but only 17 points. Anyone have an assessment?

BTW: I like him best in the slot...he's been playing on the outside, both sides, off-on all year d/t the injuries of Culliver, Cox and Brock. But he's epic in the slot!

Maybe I forget but I thought he got abused in the slot and played better outside. Anyways he did have his rookie mistakes, but his future looks a lot better than I expected originally

He bit a couple times in stutter moves at the very end of the season but that's a great learning lesson. IIRC I think he was only beat for that one catch in the slot by Gates? Not sure. I just liked him WAY more than Ward in the slot. Even if Cox and Culliver take off Brock and Johnson are starters. Plus maybe Cook again, a healthy Ward, McFadden, Reaser, Acker, etc. Terrific!
Due to his size and physical play, he's best suited for outside DB. However, i don't want Ward playing the slot anymore.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Yeah and an answer to the taller receivers we face
With Baalke making little effort to resign Culliver, no effort to resign Cox, and not having much interest at all in the free agent cornerback market, it leads me to believe he is very confident in starting Dontae Johnson on the outside to open the season if need be. I'm confident in Johnson too. He looked like he belonged on the field at the end of last season and I think he has a ton of potential.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
With Baalke making little effort to resign Culliver, no effort to resign Cox, and not having much interest at all in the free agent cornerback market, it leads me to believe he is very confident in starting Dontae Johnson on the outside to open the season if need be. I'm confident in Johnson too. He looked like he belonged on the field at the end of last season and I think he has a ton of potential.

Yup yup!
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Agreed. We've got two starters in Dontae and Brock. Reaser and Acker are both very interesting as well. Really think all we need to do is bring in a veteran through FA and spend a high pick on one.
put me down with Adrian.

He has a lot of work to do, but we need to ensure Dahl and Cromartie stay on the sidelines. They're garbage in coverage.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Na...

care to elaborate??
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Na...

care to elaborate??

Na...
I like Dontae Johnson next year.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Due to his size and physical play, he's best suited for outside DB. However, i don't want Ward playing the slot anymore.

To his credit his foot was still broken from what I understand, that's really hard to play with especially in the slot. I think he'll breakout this year
Share 49ersWebzone