LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

DB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State

luckily we have one of the best DB coaches to develop him. seems like donatell can make studs out of just about anyone we give him
With that kind of speed, I expect him to be the new gunner on special teams, since Brock is probably going to be a full time starter. Then again, Bowman starts on special teams too, so...
Originally posted by Garcia:
Derk Shermanigan

Dick Merkins is his new nickname in my book
Niners salivating over the size of Johnson

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-attracted-johnsons-combination-size-speed
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

Nice
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

we've got big johnsons on offense and defense after this offseason
Originally posted by swayze:
we've got big johnsons on offense and defense after this offseason

The Gold Rush must be pleased
Based on how Donatell has done in the past he looks VERY promising.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is now the "we drafted Dontae Johnson" thread. He's 6'2", 200, very well built for the position. 4.45 40, 38 inch vertical, was one of the guys at the Combine for the 60 yard shuttle. Pretty fluid hips for a bigger defensive back too. Downside is he's got pretty small hands, average arm length, not a ballhawk at all.

He's yet another college safety that Baalke is drafting to play cornerback. He has experience at CB already, along with safety and is a quality special teams performer too. Doesn't tackle real well, hence he's moving away from safety.

"This kid can play corner and safety. As a safety, I don't like his tackling skill set, but as a corner it's adequate. Teams either liked him or didn't like him at all. He's a better athlete than a football player. You just have to develop this kid." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/dontae-johnson?id=2543739

#t=37

On this small sample size, things I like:
1. Size, duh. He's tall enough to knock down some passes on tall receivers (Jordan Matthews) and strong enough to play off blocks in the run game.
2. Versatility. He lined up outside, inside at the slot and has S and ST (coverage units) abilities.
3. Physical/Aggressive. He's very physical in the run game and plays through the whistle on WR's (gets in their head a bit).
4. Blitz. He looked pretty effective on the blitz as well which is something we may see more of this year.
5. 50/50. He's played both off and press coverage equally (I anticipate us doing the same this year). He comes up hill hard and hits people/wraps up.
6. Positioning. I didn't see him out of position once (naturally) but what I liked most was that he always had his head turned around at the right time and was making a play on the ball with what seems like long arms (he uses his length well). He was on the WR's hip pocket every time the ball was arriving. Good job on utilizing the sidelines to his advantage as well (for tackles or running WR routes OOB).
7. Hips. For his size, he turns and runs well and has good straight-line makeup speed and was not beat deep once. Excellent job staying with a fast receiver on a double sideline move. Very fluid/smooth.
8. He seemed to take on the oppositions best WR most often and lined up in several different spots (slot/outside).
9. PD's. Good job of seperating the ball from the WR as the ball is trying to be secured. Also, often times the QB looked to his primary receiver and Johnson had good blanket coverage...lead to sacks, hurries and 2nd reads.
10. Play recognition (not fooled on the flea flicker and broke up the pass...well done). And blew up a screen pass. Not fooled at all on the WR screens (great job).
11. RZ. Good goal line burst to stuff the run and force a fumble.
12. He seems like a good student of the game (good recognition of routes) and he'll be coached by Donatell

What he needs to work on:
1. Needs to dip his hips more on pass rushes and use his arms more (slap).
2. Can get blocked out effectively in a wash on the sidelines or in short yardage (can play too high); sometimes in 1on1. Needs an effective rip moves to play off blocks. He seems to watch the WR in front of him rather than keeping his eyes on the RB and feeling through and off the blocks to make tackles (as a result gets knocked backwards).
3. Will need to be coached up more on play recognition to play a little faster and explode to the spots more (adequate now).
4. Needs to hit the juggs machine.
5. Needs to work on press technique more (to actually disrupt routes) and add more short-area burst/quickness.
6. Tends to play mostly press inside the RZ. On the P.I. and TD, I thought he did a fine job getting turned around and had very good positioning (I didn't think the TD or the P.I. were accurate calls). He'll need to be a tad quicker and not force the refs to make a call.
7. Will need to learn to jump more routes; almost plays too textbook. Will need to make more plays on the ball and in ripping the ball out when the tackle is secured.

Overall:
I think he is absolutely a perfect fit for our defense and the type of 50/50 schemes we run here. He probably needs a year to develop and refine his technique but the negatives I listed are all very coachable and he seems like a student of the game. Donatell is already working on his press technique. While I think he is probably a year away, it would not surprise me one bit if he genuinely challenges Culliver for the #2 spot this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM ]
NCommand, great post, videos & info. With our defensive coaches should have fun with a guy like this they can mold to fit there defense to a 'T'. Hope he gets a ton of opportunities come training camp & preseason & makes the most of them.

Originally posted by tohara3:
NCommand, great post, videos & info. With our defensive coaches should have fun with a guy like this they can mold to fit there defense to a 'T'. Hope he gets a ton of opportunities come training camp & preseason & makes the most of them.

You bet. Thanks to Phoenix for posting the videos and his own analysis (agreed with it after watching). It sure seems he, like some many other 2014 draft picks, are ideal for the systems we run (or plan to). That's exciting!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
He leaves the impression of being smart, competitive and energetic.

Take into account that he is VERY athletic ( 40 Yrd 4.41, 10 Yrd 1.57, Vertical 38 1/2, Broad 10´04", 3-Cone Drill 6.82 ), the fact he now calls Ed Donatell his coach + his college tape....,he could develop into something special in our system !

Still very exited about this pick.

Originally posted by DeUh:
He leaves the impression of being smart, competitive and energetic.

Take into account that he is VERY athletic ( 40 Yrd 4.41, 10 Yrd 1.57, Vertical 38 1/2, Broad 10´04", 3-Cone Drill 6.82 ), the fact he now calls Ed Donatell his coach + his college tape....,he could develop into something special in our system !

Still very exited about this pick.

Very much agreed! And like I said in another thread, it's going to take Culliver a while to get his NFL legs back and all the while, Johnson is going to get a real shot here. May the best man win!
He seems like a very heady guy, like Reid. I can see why Harbaugh recruited him.
love his size, hope he can develop!
Share 49ersWebzone