LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

What this draft says about CURRENT roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
A lot of us, myself included, seemed to be thinking DL in the 2nd. With Hageman and Tuitt, (to a lesser degree Jernigan and Ealy) sliding to the 2nd round, we could have traded up to grab one of these guys. To me, its a massive vote of confidence in Tank, TJE, and maybe even Okoye.
I think anyone suggesting DL picks was ignoring our depth and coaching at the position. Using a 2nd on a redshirt last year in Tank, plus the staff being high on Williams before injury, I would have been surprised if we had went early on d line. At same time I admit to being surprised we went RB, but think that can prove inspired.

Baalke has often mentioned of drafting ahead of need, and that really means we should be looking for more from previous classes this year - possibly Culliver, Tank, Kilgore, Patton, etc, and that while great if this class does well now it also offers options down the line if Lynch can replace Brooks, Ellington can become returner, Hyde can replace Gore, Thomas can replace Iupati, etc, or give us an option at least.

It is always about strengthening roster, and ensuring long term depth. It could mean player x, y or z is leaving, but it could just mean we have more cover if they do.
This draft demonstrated that we're addressing personnel from a longevity perspective.

There was a quote Bill Polian made on XM radio last year:

"You build your team to make it to the conference championship. From there, it's too dependent on specific matchups and injuries to account for all the contingencies."

This exemplifies Baalke's approach. Be 1 of the last 4 teams playing, and see what happens.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for flynhayn15.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
1. CB - staff must be pretty comfortable with Brock, Culliver, Wright, and Cook - more than fans understand.

2. WR - Staff has no belief in need for in big bodied or pure speed receivers. Despite Boldin showing the effectiveness of a big body working the inside and competing for the ball, 49ers continue to draft 6 foot, 200 lb middle speed guys. If 49ers had a great scheme that broke those guys open I would get it, but they don't.

3. OL - Iupati not expected back - maybe just too expensive for the marginal gain in ability at guard. Despite 3 year contract extension, staff not in love with Kilgore as long term answer. Looney not impressing.

4. DL - must be deep, no selections here. They must really like what they are seeing from Tank, Dial, and Le Monier (sp?).

5. RB - Needed top flight insurance for Lattimore being feature back. Need some burst and power to replace Gore's running. Nobody like to hear it, but Gore is clearly no longer running with the violence, power, or burst he had - who would after 10,000 hard yards in the NFL.

6. LB - Surprised they spent more resources on ILB than OLB with Aldon Smith being in trouble. Wilhoite did pretty well filling in at ILB. Suspect some of these picks are special teams needs.

Our draft doesn't necessarily say anything about about our roster. It could just as easily say something about the draft class in that position. Let's take WR in the 2012 draft class as an example. The 1st 5 WRs taken were Blackmon, M. Floyd, K Wright, Jenkins, and Quick. Does that mean that every team that passed on them felt they were set at WR? Some could have had a very real need at WR but felt that the none of those players would be a significant upgrade over what they already had.

I agree that corner was a big need for the team. I wasn't sold on Gilbert, fuller, and Verret. I'm not gonna lie, I may or may not have let out a cuss word or 2 when dennard got drafted because I thought we needed a corner that wouldn't be a liability in the run game and we would get pushed around like we did against Sea and Ind last year when we when nickel. Getting Ward seems like the next best thing. Or at least that's what the FO believes he is. BTW, I don't think any of the corners taken after round 1 could beat out cox and wright this year anyway.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Our draft doesn't necessarily say anything about about our roster. It could just as easily say something about the draft class in that position. Let's take WR in the 2012 draft class as an example. The 1st 5 WRs taken were Blackmon, M. Floyd, K Wright, Jenkins, and Quick. Does that mean that every team that passed on them felt they were set at WR? Some could have had a very real need at WR but felt that the none of those players would be a significant upgrade over what they already had.

I agree that corner was a big need for the team. I wasn't sold on Gilbert, fuller, and Verret. I'm not gonna lie, I may or may not have let out a cuss word or 2 when dennard got drafted because I thought we needed a corner that wouldn't be a liability in the run game and we would get pushed around like we did against Sea and Ind last year when we when nickel. Getting Ward seems like the next best thing. Or at least that's what the FO believes he is. BTW, I don't think any of the corners taken after round 1 could beat out cox and wright this year anyway.

You don't think Robey or Baptiste would make the roster?
1. CB - staff must be pretty comfortable with Brock, Culliver, Wright, and Cook - more than fans understand.

2. WR - Staff has no belief in need for in big bodied or pure speed receivers. Despite Boldin showing the effectiveness of a big body working the inside and competing for the ball, 49ers continue to draft 6 foot, 200 lb middle speed guys. If 49ers had a great scheme that broke those guys open I would get it, but they don't.

3. OL - Iupati not expected back - maybe just too expensive for the marginal gain in ability at guard. Despite 3 year contract extension, staff not in love with Kilgore as long term answer. Looney not impressing.

4. DL - must be deep, no selections here. They must really like what they are seeing from Tank, Dial, and Le Monier (sp?).

5. RB - Needed top flight insurance for Lattimore being feature back. Need some burst and power to replace Gore's running. Nobody like to hear it, but Gore is clearly no longer running with the violence, power, or burst he had - who would after 10,000 hard yards in the NFL.

6. LB - Surprised they spent more resources on ILB than OLB with Aldon Smith being in trouble. Wilhoite did pretty well filling in at ILB. Suspect some of these picks are special teams needs.

They drafted a speedy WR in Ellington not a 6ft 200 WR. (traded for Stevie Johnson).

Lemonier plays OLB not DL and they drafted DE Kaleb Ramsey in 7th.

They drafted Lynch who plays OLB/DE and ILB Borland, so not sure what you mean by spent more resources?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

You don't think Robey or Baptiste would make the roster?

I think they would make the roster. I don't think they would beat out wright and cox. Maybe our front office agreed with me.

I really hope Iupati returns.
Cox will beat out Cook
What this draft says is pretty obvious:

Drafting Carlos Hyde says the team is planning for Gore's retirement.

Drafting Jimmy Ward says the team wanted a ball hawk in the slot right away and is planning for the new trend in safety packages.

Drafting Marcus Martin says they want a bigger, better pass protector who can't get bull-rushed by nose tackles in the middle.

Drafting Brandon Thomas says they don't know if they'll be able to re-sign Mike Iupati.

Drafting Bruce Ellington means they're still looking for that outside receiver with elite speed to stretch defenses.

Originally posted by crake49:
What this draft says is pretty obvious:

Drafting Carlos Hyde says the team is planning for Gore's retirement.

Drafting Jimmy Ward says the team wanted a ball hawk in the slot right away and is planning for the new trend in safety packages.

Drafting Marcus Martin says they want a bigger, better pass protector who can't get bull-rushed by nose tackles in the middle.

Drafting Brandon Thomas says they don't know if they'll be able to re-sign Mike Iupati.

Drafting Bruce Ellington means they're still looking for that outside receiver with elite speed to stretch defenses.

Just to piggy-back:

Drafting Jimmie Ward & L.J. McCray S means they were tired of watching Rogers get beat in the slot and needed a 12th starter there (while not messing with the other positions). And there will be emphasis on ST.
Drafting Dontae Johnson means we want to play some press coverage more.
Drafting Aaron Lynch & Morgan Breslin means we want to have a pipeline of pass rushers (even if Aldon misses time).
Drafting an injured Keith Reaser is another example of acquiring developing talent without affecting your 53-man roster.
Drafting Trey Milliard & Asante Cleveland is another example of trying to find a placement for Walker in the H-back role (i.e. Carrier this year).
Drafting Chris Borland & Shayne Skov means we don't want to rush Bowman back and we know Willis remains nicked up as well.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Cox will beat out Cook

Depends. Cox usually plays Nickle and Cook would most likely back up Culliver and Brock on the outside.
Crake, you may very well be right, but I think Ellington was drafted with the hope of taking over for crabs when he goes elsewhere for big money. We already know his stance on being paid.
2012 draft was a huge swing and a miss, so the Niners needed to infuse some less expensive depth and competition to the existing roster. Therefore, 11 picks become 12 players and the Niners preseason just got a lot more interesting.
Seems like they weren't comfortable with the slot CB position to draft Ward. Last year they had to go through Wright, Cox, and C.Rogers. Maybe because of injuries, but none of the those guys leave you feeling confident.
Share 49ersWebzone