There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mel Kipers initial draft grade

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anybody have the hawks grade?
I felt like they laid an EGG

C+

It was almost funny how all the draft guys were almost making excuses for Seattle. Saying stuff like "they must know something we don't" and "their track record is better than ours". The facts are constantly killing in the late rounds is an unsustainable feat. Of course you can hit every now and again, but the odds of doing it consistently is very low. The facts are if they really knew dick Sherman and Russell Wilson were going to be as good as they are they would have taken them a lot higher. Teams in every draft get late round steals, however the narrative around Seattle is they set it up this way.

they've raped their drafts in years prior and be proven to be dead wrong in those particular years. cant remember which one it was but either 2011 or 2012 draft was given a lot of flack from most experts and turned into a great one for them. knowing that, if they disagreed with some of their 2014 picks, understandably these experts arent going to be as quick to dismiss the 2014 selections given the fact they're defending champions and have proven said experts wrong in years previous.
No doubt about it this the best draft Baalke has had imo all picks were valuable and hit needs added depth
Ok. SO be it.

I guess I will disagree with the world on need. Not backing down on that. I say B-. Everyone else disagrees though, it doesn't make sense to me.

We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.

Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.

Now we went for "value" and I am not arguing that we didn't get it.

But at positions that the league doesn't see as make-or-break for success in this league anymore: FB, RB, C, ILB

There's a premium on pass oriented skill sets in the league -- CB, DE pass rushers, OT pass protectors. So we couldn't make a deal for the skill sets in demand, we deemed the price too high.

Maybe that is what happened. Well see who is right or wrong over time.

STill reading all the reviews. Everyone loves our draft, but me, because of need not necessarily knocking the players we got.
Originally posted by crabman82:
they've raped their drafts in years prior and be proven to be dead wrong in those particular years. cant remember which one it was but either 2011 or 2012 draft was given a lot of flack from most experts and turned into a great one for them. knowing that, if they disagreed with some of their 2014 picks, understandably these experts arent going to be as quick to dismiss the 2014 selections given the fact they're defending champions and have proven said experts wrong in years previous.

I think it was the 2012 draft that was ripped by the experts. In retrospect 2012, looked like the draft that swung the needle in their favor, as our '12 draft was a disaster. Hopefully '14 swings the table back in our. I still think the narrative of always killing in the late rounds is over blown.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I wouldn't say there was a team with a better draft. Texans, Rams, Raiders, and Steelers might've been just as good though.

I still hate the Saints for taking Cooks and Steelers for taking Tuitt. Lol.

I agree with this. It is nice tho to see high praise across all the draft experts. I guess except for Pete prisco, but I never really valued his opinion on football anyway.

In all fairness, he did give the 49er draft a B. But to have it below the Seahawks draft is laughable, and throws his credibility right out the window.

49ers Faithful PrissyCo
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
In all fairness, he did give the 49er draft a B. But to have it below the Seahawks draft is laughable, and throws his credibility right out the window.

49ers Faithful PrissyCo

Yea he really didn't rip the draft, but I've never really liked his football analysis. I don't really place a lot of importance on grades as we won't know how this draft really is for a couple of years, but it is nice to see some sort of a consensus
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.

Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.


15 drafted DB's say Hi

Aaron Lynch says Hi
A+++

Baalke Killed it, wanted for murdering the draft.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok. SO be it.
We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.

Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.

But at positions that the league doesn't see as make-or-break for success in this league anymore: FB, RB, C, ILB

There's a premium on pass oriented skill sets in the league -- CB, DE pass rushers, OT pass protectors. So we couldn't make a deal for the skill sets in demand, we deemed the price too high.


- We have Ian Williams, We have dobbs, and tony jerod eddie - All of these guys are solid. Are they on the Justin Smith level, no, but they are getting better. Quentin dial is a guy that is developing too.

- Yes we are putting some stock in Tank Carradine, but I think we got enough players here.

- We have Lemonier and now we have Aaron Lynch, who has a better frame and better speed than Aldon Smith.

- I don't know if this was the greatest draft to pick up a corner early. I like Ward who played corner and can play nickel. And then the niners show their knowledge of their sinkhole to draft 3 corners with size. The size of the corners early weren't really available to us.

Yes, the jury is still out, but I think they got value and they got Stevie Johnson who is vetted already.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok. SO be it.
We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.

Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.

But at positions that the league doesn't see as make-or-break for success in this league anymore: FB, RB, C, ILB

There's a premium on pass oriented skill sets in the league -- CB, DE pass rushers, OT pass protectors. So we couldn't make a deal for the skill sets in demand, we deemed the price too high.


- We have Ian Williams, We have dobbs, and tony jerod eddie - All of these guys are solid. Are they on the Justin Smith level, no, but they are getting better. Quentin dial is a guy that is developing too.

- Yes we are putting some stock in Tank Carradine, but I think we got enough players here.

- We have Lemonier and now we have Aaron Lynch, who has a better frame and better speed than Aldon Smith.

- I don't know if this was the greatest draft to pick up a corner early. I like Ward who played corner and can play nickel. And then the niners show their knowledge of their sinkhole to draft 3 corners with size. The size of the corners early weren't really available to us.

Yes, the jury is still out, but I think they got value and they got Stevie Johnson who is vetted already.

I've said it a couple of times on a few other thread, I follow the florida state program pretty close and if tank is right he is an absolute beast of a pass rusher and could prove to be a steal in last years draft even in the second round. I hope that our lack of drafting pass rush in this draft in huge numbers is an indication that tank is well on track. Because if he is we just essentially got another first round pick in this '14 draft.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok. SO be it.

I guess I will disagree with the world on need. Not backing down on that. I say B-. Everyone else disagrees though, it doesn't make sense to me.

We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.

Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.

Now we went for "value" and I am not arguing that we didn't get it.

But at positions that the league doesn't see as make-or-break for success in this league anymore: FB, RB, C, ILB

There's a premium on pass oriented skill sets in the league -- CB, DE pass rushers, OT pass protectors. So we couldn't make a deal for the skill sets in demand, we deemed the price too high.

Maybe that is what happened. Well see who is right or wrong over time.

STill reading all the reviews. Everyone loves our draft, but me, because of need not necessarily knocking the players we got.

The biggest problem our pass protection has come from the Center, we addressed that. The 49ers staff feel that Jimmie Ward plus three other CBs and two defensive ends will provide what we need in pass defense but what do they know, they ought to check with this guy posting on the Webzone.
Kiper really liked our draft after day 2. And that was before the 3 CBs, et al on day 3. The end result is no surprise. We needed CBs and we got 4 DBs, incl one (a SS who has played press corner) in round 1. For Brodie: 1 out of every 3 picks was a DB, and 3 were corners. As for WRs, trent finessed WR picks in the draft by trading for a proven slot WR followed by Steveie a slot plus deep threat. We needed potential help at ILB if Aldon gets suspended, and/or Navarro doesn't come back til later...and one or the other is very possible. We got the C at about where he should have been drafted, an OL , DL, and we got Ellington a WR via draft. We got a Qb, but I think that was just a throw in. Not expecting much there, but who knows.

Our biggest problem? Noted above, where do we put all these guys with just 7 slots open and assuming Ward sticks, both WRs in trade stick, and one, maybe two CBs stick, the C sticks, Hyde sticks, oops, we are out of slots. Now our OL goes on IR, plus I think 2 or three others are on IR. But right there is our team plus the 41 locks written up by AB. And, who knows, maybe a WR or CB in the UDFAs is good enough to displace one of our 41 locks. In all, we just went from best talent in the league to better yet.
Originally posted by judodono:
Guess you can't impress everyone, CBSSports grades our draft below seattle's
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24557993/grades-lots-of-as-and-no-fs-much-to-like-in-2014-nfl-draft

This is funny because CBS is the same source that rated:
Ward as the #1 safety
Hyde as the #1 RB
Martin as the #1 C
Millard as the #1 FB...

So let me get this straight, we take 4 positions that are team needs, we get the best 4 in their respected positions...
And a team with Paul Richardson as their 1st pick is ahead of us?

Lol, CBS = TMZ
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok. SO be it.

I guess I will disagree with the world on need. Not backing down on that. I say B-. Everyone else disagrees though, it doesn't make sense to me.
We have a sink hole at the corner back position, we didn't address it in a manner commensurate with the size of the sink hole.
Same with pass rush. We need help there. Two years in a row. We're putting a lot on Tank being a super stud. Not hedging our bets there.
Now we went for "value" and I am not arguing that we didn't get it.
But at positions that the league doesn't see as make-or-break for success in this league anymore: FB, RB, C, ILB
There's a premium on pass oriented skill sets in the league -- CB, DE pass rushers, OT pass protectors. So we couldn't make a deal for the skill sets in demand, we deemed the price too high.

I know that we didn't get much of them last season, typically because we had Rogers and Nmandi in our slot... But you remember when we used to get coverage sacks?
We can bulk up all the D-line we want, won't help if we are going against mobile QB's when we have average CB's covering their speedy WR.
Us drafting Jimmie Ward helps out our D-line more than people realize, both our D-line and secondary feed off of each other and if one is slacking, it doesn't matter how good the other is.
Don't forget, we are still a run-first team and we proved it.
You should watch the Stanford-Oregon game and tell me that the run game is still over-rated. Seriously, pick any game over the past 3 years and come back and say football is changing to a passing game.
If that is the case, we are set.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I know that we didn't get much of them last season, typically because we had Rogers and Nmandi in our slot... But you remember when we used to get coverage sacks?
We can bulk up all the D-line we want, won't help if we are going against mobile QB's when we have average CB's covering their speedy WR.
Us drafting Jimmie Ward helps out our D-line more than people realize, both our D-line and secondary feed off of each other and if one is slacking, it doesn't matter how good the other is.
Don't forget, we are still a run-first team and we proved it.
You should watch the Stanford-Oregon game and tell me that the run game is still over-rated. Seriously, pick any game over the past 3 years and come back and say football is changing to a passing game.
If that is the case, we are set.

Ive been sayimg this for a minute now, if football really is becoming more of a passing game/league as long as lattimore hyde work out the way that we hope we will be geared to win for a while because defenses are geared more towards stopping the pass then the run. There is a reason us and the oklahoma city seahawks are the best two teams in the league by far.