LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Mel Kipers initial draft grade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That all makes me feel much better
I wouldn't say there was a team with a better draft. Texans, Rams, Raiders, and Steelers might've been just as good though.

I still hate the Saints for taking Cooks and Steelers for taking Tuitt. Lol.
[ Edited by btthepunk on May 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Passed with flying colors

The skinny: Trent Baalke was doing work the second and third day of the draft. After a terrific third and fourth rounds, he nailed a great value pick in Ellington and grabbed a big corner/defensive back in Johnson. Lynch has tremendous upside in San Francisco's defense. There are a few guys the team can stash away for the future too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349280/article/2014-nfl-draft-day-3-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
What the hell are we gonna do with all these guys?!?

A few go on season long IR, let's say three. Then of the remaining 9, five make the team. The four that get released are signed by the Seachickens, forcing Kiper to raise his grade on them because they picked up our scraps.

Seattle will pick them up when we release some of them
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Kansas City will pick them up when we release some of them

I fixed it for you.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I fixed it for you.

Good one!!
Originally posted by buck:
Overview: The 49ers also traded a conditional 2015 fourth-round pick to Buffalo for Stevie Johnson, though GM Trent Baalke recouped the 2015 fourth-rounder in a day-two trade with Miami.

It's almost inevitable that a team with so many selections will warrant high "grades" after the draft. The 49ers had a lot of picks, and turned them into a lot of good prospects. Each of the first six players San Francisco selected were at one point or another projected as possible late first-round picks during the pre-draft phase.

Borland, Thomas, Lynch, Reaser, and Millard are all year-one "redshirt" candidates.

Ward, Hyde, Martin, Ellington, and Johnson all offer potential to make rookie-season contributions.

They were one of only two NFC teams I assigned an "A".

Grade: A

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47166/174/draft-2014-nfc-draft-grades?pg=2

Why is Borland a year one "redshirt" candidate? The consensus was that he is ready to contribute immediately.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I wouldn't say there was a team with a better draft. Texans, Rams, Raiders, and Steelers might've been just as good though.

I still hate the Saints for taking Cooks and Steelers for taking Tuitt. Lol.

I agree with this. It is nice tho to see high praise across all the draft experts. I guess except for Pete prisco, but I never really valued his opinion on football anyway.
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Why is Borland a year one "redshirt" candidate? The consensus was that he is ready to contribute immediately.

I could be wrong, but I believe he is coming off shoulder surgery. I heard baalke said he had no concerns about it though.

have some fun!
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anybody have the hawks grade?
I felt like they laid an EGG

C+
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anybody have the hawks grade?
I felt like they laid an EGG

C+

It was almost funny how all the draft guys were almost making excuses for Seattle. Saying stuff like "they must know something we don't" and "their track record is better than ours". The facts are constantly killing in the late rounds is an unsustainable feat. Of course you can hit every now and again, but the odds of doing it consistently is very low. The facts are if they really knew dick Sherman and Russell Wilson were going to be as good as they are they would have taken them a lot higher. Teams in every draft get late round steals, however the narrative around Seattle is they set it up this way.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by OldMort49:

I could be wrong, but I believe he is coming off shoulder surgery. I heard baalke said he had no concerns about it though.

Shoulder concerns which is why some felt he was picked later than he should of and was such a great value pick. Ive heard he should be ready but the team could always pull a "whoa not so fast, take your time" thing like they did with last years injured bunch.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
It was almost funny how all the draft guys were almost making excuses for Seattle. Saying stuff like "they must know something we don't" and "their track record is better than ours". The facts are constantly killing in the late rounds is an unsustainable feat. Of course you can hit every now and again, but the odds of doing it consistently is very low. The facts are if they really knew dick Sherman and Russell Wilson were going to be as good as they are they would have taken them a lot higher. Teams in every draft get late round steals, however the narrative around Seattle is they set it up this way.

I have to agree. The midget wilson pick was a lucky lotto pick. Cheat Carroll is in no way in Harbaugh's league in picking QB's. Cheats lifetime win/loss average is close to 50%, it's time for him to regress towards the mean!!
Share 49ersWebzone