LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Mel Kipers initial draft grade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just read this on espn.com and figured Id share it to hopefully relieve some of the stress to what some consider a bad draft that didnt fulfill our needs.

San Francisco 49ers: A
Top needs: CB, WR, LB, DL
Needs: A-
Value: A
Summary: The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here. The Niners just got so many good players. Jimmie Ward will cover, attack the line of scrimmage, and will play fast and fearless. If you call that a reach, remember that Arizona had taken Deone Bucannon at No. 27, so there were already three safeties off the board (not that Bucannon and Ward are that similar) and the 49ers knew if they didn't Ward there, they had no chance later. They got the No. 1 RB in the draft at No. 57. Frank Gore has a lot of miles on the odometer, LaMichael James may not be there long, and if Marcus Lattimore is your No. 1, you better have a 1-A. Carlos Hyde made sense and, again, he's the top RB in the draft. Marcus Martin is a future starter at center, Chris Borland is immediate depth at linebacker and has the experience to play now. Brandon Thomas is another 49ers redshirt, but could be a star guard when he comes back (he hurt his knee this spring, but would have gone in Round 2 otherwise). Bruce Ellington isn't a far cry from Brandin Cooks, but he went 86 picks later. It goes on and on. Dontae Johnson is solid and Aaron Lynch has developmental promise. I even like the pick at No. 245 -- Trey Millard is the top fullback in the draft and was another guy who dropped on some boards after a knee injury. What I like about this draft is the 49ers are in a championship window, and they still managed to balance both the need for immediate help and also got a lot of talent for the future. The window can remain open.

Link http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10901684&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FopwlJgCehS%22%7D&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_KiperDraftGrades
[ Edited by LoneWolf on May 11, 2014 at 3:04 AM ]
               Â
Originally posted by lucky_49:
� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

Yeah i guess copy and paste doesnt work well from my phone.
Usually the draft grades are a bit of a crap shoot because they don't really know what they got, but Kiper and McShay do a good job of really breaking things down.

I also remember how the experts were glowing about the 49ers 2007 draft, and that one sure did come to fruition.
Can't really disagree with this. This isn't an A grade based on crystal balls. It's just saying that based on an assesment of need and value the 49ers did well. You know they didn't pull an Al Davis and take the fastest reciever with TONS of better receivers on the board because the dude was half a tenth of a second faster running in his underwear.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Those two really love to talk and listen to themselves talk. This quote, alone "The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here" is the best thing they have said for the whole 3 days. I love it!!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Those two really love to talk and listen to themselves talk. This quote, alone "The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here" is the best thing they have said for the whole 3 days. I love it!!

And Baalke made MadDog happy.

I think Kiper is a goof, especially after this quote: "While sparring with fellow draft analyst Todd McShay, Kiper made the following declaration: "If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it. I'm out."

But, still, you really can't get a better post draft assessment than what the 49ers have today.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
How many more analogies can kiper make about frank gores age

Tread on the tire
Mileage on the odometer
Gray hair on the ol cock and balls
Here's an easier view

Summary: The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here. The Niners just got so many good players. Jimmie Ward will cover, attack the line of scrimmage, and will play fast and fearless. If you call that a reach, remember that Arizona had taken Deone Bucannon at No. 27, so there were already three safeties off the board (not that Bucannon and Ward are that similar) and the 49ers knew if they didn't Ward there, they had no chance later. They got the No. 1 RB in the draft at No. 57. Frank Gore has a lot of miles on the odometer, LaMichael James may not be there long, and if Marcus Lattimore is your No. 1, you better have a 1-A. Carlos Hyde made sense and, again, he's the top RB in the draft. Marcus Martin is a future starter at center, Chris Borland is immediate depth at linebacker and has the experience to play now. Brandon Thomas is another 49ers redshirt, but could be a star guard when he comes back (he hurt his knee this spring, but would have gone in Round 2 otherwise). Bruce Ellington isn't a far cry from Brandin Cooks, but he went 86 picks later. It goes on and on. Dontae Johnson is solid and Aaron Lynch has developmental promise. I even like the pick at No. 245 -- Trey Millard is the top fullback in the draft and was another guy who dropped on some boards after a knee injury. What I like about this draft is the 49ers are in a championship window, and they still managed to balance both the need for immediate help and also got a lot of talent for the future. The window can remain open.
Anybody have the hawks grade?
I felt like they laid an EGG

Bleacher report gave us an A+. Only team with an A+. Seattle got a C lol
And the window stays open.......!!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Here's an easier view

Thank you AB. When i copy and paste from here it looks much better
What the hell are we gonna do with all these guys?!?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Here's an easier view

Summary: The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here. The Niners just got so many good players.

• Jimmie Ward will cover, attack the line of scrimmage, and will play fast and fearless. If you call that a reach, remember that Arizona had taken Deone Bucannon at No. 27, so there were already three safeties off the board (not that Bucannon and Ward are that similar) and the 49ers knew if they didn't Ward there, they had no chance later.
  • They got the No. 1 RB in the draft at No. 57. Frank Gore has a lot of miles on the odometer, LaMichael James may not be there long, and if Marcus Lattimore is your No. 1, you better have a 1-A. Carlos Hyde made sense and, again, he's the top RB in the draft.
  • Marcus Martin is a future starter at center,
  • Chris Borland is immediate depth at linebacker and has the experience to play now.
  • Brandon Thomas is another 49ers redshirt, but could be a star guard when he comes back (he hurt his knee this spring, but would have gone in Round 2 otherwise).
  • Bruce Ellington isn't a far cry from Brandin Cooks, but he went 86 picks later.
  • It goes on and on. Dontae Johnson is solid and Aaron Lynch has developmental promise.
  • I even like the pick at No. 245 -- Trey Millard is the top fullback in the draft and was another guy who dropped on some boards after a knee injury.

What I like about this draft is the 49ers are in a championship window, and they still managed to balance both the need for immediate help and also got a lot of talent for the future. The window can remain open.
Share 49ersWebzone