There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trey Millard Is A Niner!

He gonna fill a delanie walker type of role?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
This selection capped off another terrific draft. Millard gets a year to study and learn the H-back position and is much further along as pass catching FB than Delanie Walker was as a WR coming out. Millard won't be counted on as the #2 TE, like Walker was which will help assimilate him to the offense.

He will be a better blocker than Vance McDonald at the beginning and a better pass catcher than Bruce Miller was when he started. Great pic for our offense as a replacement for Garrett Celek as the 3rd TE/FB and probably on special teams. I think he got hurt early in the season, so he may be ready by training camp.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
How about we run a split pro set with millard frank vern bold crabs + stevie. Get everything nice and wide then pop it to trey up the middle for four.

Why do they say he won't play next year? Was the surgery bad?

He'll play in 2015, not this season. He won't be ready by training camp, I think they'll activate him off of PUP for few weeks to get some practices in....and then IR him for the rest of the season. This year there's just too much depth, by next season(2015), Gore, Hunter and James could all be gone potentially.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
That's 6 skill guys. Either Kap sits, or we only have 4 OL in this scenario...


What makes you think I can count?
I liked the pick, especially in the 7th rd. Swiss Army Knife, somebody referred to him as one. One guy to keep your eye on is Derek Carrier...reportedly Harbaugh and Baalke love his athleticism...similar comments as to his overal skillset as Millard.
Just comparing highlight packages, he looks like a better runner than Hyde. If Lattimore can come back close to his old form, that could be a scary 3-headed monster down the line
  • DeUh
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,200
Bob Stoops: Jim Harbaugh Will Like Trey Millard




By Taylor Price

To examine the San Francisco 49ers 12-man NFL Draft class, 49ers.com checked in with a college coach of each pick. We continue our series with...

"Fat Daddy."Also known as Trey Millard.

The former Oklahoma fullback, selected by San Francisco in the seventh-round of the draft, has more than a killer nickname. The 6-foot-2, 247-pound jack-of-all-trades has the kind of versatility that made him a popular player for the Sooners.

"Everyone in this area knows I'm his biggest fan," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told 49ers.com. "In my mind, he was the most important guy we had the past couple of years on our team. It was not just because of leadership, but because of all the different positions he played, and he'd been our best special teams guy over the past few years as well."

Millard suffered a torn ACL in his left knee on Oct. 26 and is currently on San Francisco's Active/Non-Football Injury List. He is one of three 2014 draft picks rehabbing a major knee injury with the team's strength and conditioning staff.

Millard rushed 98 times for 578 yards and posted six rushing touchdowns for the Sooners between the 2010 and 2013 seasons. He added 70 receptions for 677 yards and seven more touchdowns as a receiver, too.

It's not known when Millard will make his NFL debut. But here is what we do know after a phone call with Stoops.

First Impressions
"We thought he had a great shot to be a special player," Stoops said. "You don't get many guys who are that big that can move, can run the football and have soft hands to catch the football and can block. You can put him on the move and block. He can play fullback, H-back, tight end – we saw a big, incredible athlete who can do so many things."

College Improvements
"He was a great worker with his strength and conditioning through the years," Stoops said. "Year by year, it just got better. As far as on the field, he was always really natural with everything. He was a guy we'd leave back there in a one-back set, and he was fine carrying the ball. You could put him on the line and he could block; you could put him at the fullback spot and he was great out of the backfield. He was natural at all of those things, but the strength and the physical abilities continue to improve as he got older."

Greatest Strengths
"He had a 70-yard run against Kansas State," Stoops said. "That was pretty special. Also, two years ago, he caught a ball out of the backfield, hurdles a guy and then knocks another guy over against Texas. He went for about 60 yards on that play. He's got the ability to make those kinds of plays."

Coach's Advice
"I called him the day of the draft and congratulated him," Stoops said. "I told him, 'I don't think you could have gone to a better fit – to a team that fits you better.' I've been around coach Harbaugh and watching him from afar – they value physical guys. They value fullback, H-backs, tight ends in how they play. He can play all of those positions, and he's incredibly smart. I think they're really going to appreciate all of the things he can do."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Bob-Stoops-Jim-Harbaugh-Will-Like-Trey-Millard/faf59952-121f-45eb-ae8e-cf57a08ce0de
Originally posted by DeUh:
Bob Stoops: Jim Harbaugh Will Like Trey Millard




By Taylor Price

To examine the San Francisco 49ers 12-man NFL Draft class, 49ers.com checked in with a college coach of each pick. We continue our series with...

"Fat Daddy."Also known as Trey Millard.

The former Oklahoma fullback, selected by San Francisco in the seventh-round of the draft, has more than a killer nickname. The 6-foot-2, 247-pound jack-of-all-trades has the kind of versatility that made him a popular player for the Sooners.

"Everyone in this area knows I'm his biggest fan," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told 49ers.com. "In my mind, he was the most important guy we had the past couple of years on our team. It was not just because of leadership, but because of all the different positions he played, and he'd been our best special teams guy over the past few years as well."

Millard suffered a torn ACL in his left knee on Oct. 26 and is currently on San Francisco's Active/Non-Football Injury List. He is one of three 2014 draft picks rehabbing a major knee injury with the team's strength and conditioning staff.

Millard rushed 98 times for 578 yards and posted six rushing touchdowns for the Sooners between the 2010 and 2013 seasons. He added 70 receptions for 677 yards and seven more touchdowns as a receiver, too.

It's not known when Millard will make his NFL debut. But here is what we do know after a phone call with Stoops.

First Impressions
"We thought he had a great shot to be a special player," Stoops said. "You don't get many guys who are that big that can move, can run the football and have soft hands to catch the football and can block. You can put him on the move and block. He can play fullback, H-back, tight end – we saw a big, incredible athlete who can do so many things."

College Improvements
"He was a great worker with his strength and conditioning through the years," Stoops said. "Year by year, it just got better. As far as on the field, he was always really natural with everything. He was a guy we'd leave back there in a one-back set, and he was fine carrying the ball. You could put him on the line and he could block; you could put him at the fullback spot and he was great out of the backfield. He was natural at all of those things, but the strength and the physical abilities continue to improve as he got older."

Greatest Strengths
"He had a 70-yard run against Kansas State," Stoops said. "That was pretty special. Also, two years ago, he caught a ball out of the backfield, hurdles a guy and then knocks another guy over against Texas. He went for about 60 yards on that play. He's got the ability to make those kinds of plays."

Coach's Advice
"I called him the day of the draft and congratulated him," Stoops said. "I told him, 'I don't think you could have gone to a better fit – to a team that fits you better.' I've been around coach Harbaugh and watching him from afar – they value physical guys. They value fullback, H-backs, tight ends in how they play. He can play all of those positions, and he's incredibly smart. I think they're really going to appreciate all of the things he can do."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Bob-Stoops-Jim-Harbaugh-Will-Like-Trey-Millard/faf59952-121f-45eb-ae8e-cf57a08ce0de

Great read. I'm really excited to see how he does and I agree with Stoops that he is in the best possible place. I'm also still happy cuz he was the one guy I got right in my mock draft
How can you not love this guy? Playmaking ability, flexible enough to play multiple positions, only a 7th round pick... this guy is seriously a great fit for this offense. Can't wait to see what he does when he comes back next year.
NC got me all fired up again. Can't wait for Millard to show up next season. He's the prototypical 49er, the ideal Harbaugh player. Versatile, tough, smart, an incredibly hard worker, will do whatever you ask of him. He can basically provide depth at two different positions as well as contribute on special teams. He can fit perfectly as an H-back in this offense, a guy who can run, catch and block, can't remember ever being this excited about a 7th rounder.






Originally posted by theduke85:
How can you not love this guy? Playmaking ability, flexible enough to play multiple positions, only a 7th round pick... this guy is seriously a great fit for this offense. Can't wait to see what he does when he comes back next year.

I totally had draft crushes for Eliington and Millard. Special teams ace, 2nd FB, 3rd TE . . . football player.

I can't wait to see him. If he was healthy today he could fill the jobs of Tukuafu & Carrier and economize the roster space.
.. and the kid is wearing SF's #44!!!

.. that's a very very special FB # for the team.. make Rathman proud baby!!!

NEXT YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
.. and the kid is wearing SF's #44!!!

.. that's a very very special FB # for the team.. make Rathman proud baby!!!

NEXT YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Wonder if Rath looked at film before giving him permission? He didnt technically need it but im sure taking a coaches old # has some politics.
I think it's more of the coaching staff regarding permission.. Rathman prolly is also inlove w/the kid's talent and attitude that he didn't mind him wearing his jersey..

I remember when William "Bar None" Floyd wanted to wear #44, the number he wore at FSU, and the coaching staff advised him that he's a 1st rounder, and that he should try and get well known under his own #.. People will forever see 44 as Rathman, and the "weak minded fool" actually fell for it!!