There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trey Millard Is A Niner!

This selection capped off another terrific draft. Millard gets a year to study and learn the H-back position and is much further along as pass catching FB than Delanie Walker was as a WR coming out. Millard won't be counted on as the #2 TE, like Walker was which will help assimilate him to the offense.
I think he starts out on PUP and doesn't go to IR ASAP, after seeing what happened with miller last year
But I really think the 49ers got a steal in Millard -- the top all-around fullback in the draft -- with the 245th overall pick. Despite being a three-time All-Big 12 selection, Millard's draft stock fell after he suffered a season-ending torn ACL in late October against Texas Tech. But Millard is going to a franchise with a roster so loaded it has the luxury of being able to "redshirt" injured players while giving them their first year to rehabilitate.

Last year, San Francisco drafted South Carolina Marcus Lattimore, who was still coming back from a gruesome knee injury. In this draft, the 49ers took two other players in similar predicaments in Clemson offensive lineman Brandon Thomas (fourth round) and Florida Atlantic cornerback Keith Reaser (fifth round), who also had ACL surgeries. In San Francisco, Millard be given plenty of time to get back to 100 percent for the 2015 season. And with a full bill of health, he has the ability to effectively block in the run game, grab passes in the flat and even occasionally carry the ball -- he averaged 5.5 yards per carry during his college career -- all of which will make him an asset in the San Francisco backfield. The 49ers are one of the few remaining teams in the NFL that love to pound the ball between the tackles.

Heck, they even used their second round pick on physical Ohio State ball-carrier Carlos Hyde, even with Lattimore and Frank Gore already on the roster. Bruce Miller, the 49ers' current starting fullback, signed a three-year extension in March. But Millard could carve out a role as an H-back, considering the 49ers didn't nab such a player for their pistol attack with any of their 12 picks this year. Though he was one of the last picks to go off the board, Millard was an excellent player in college. If he can get back to his previous form, he has a chance to be a pretty good pro for a seventh-round selection, too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4688954/take-two-7th-rounder-set-most-to-succeed
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But I really think the 49ers got a steal in Millard -- the top all-around fullback in the draft -- with the 245th overall pick. Despite being a three-time All-Big 12 selection, Millard's draft stock fell after he suffered a season-ending torn ACL in late October against Texas Tech. But Millard is going to a franchise with a roster so loaded it has the luxury of being able to "redshirt" injured players while giving them their first year to rehabilitate.

Last year, San Francisco drafted South Carolina Marcus Lattimore, who was still coming back from a gruesome knee injury. In this draft, the 49ers took two other players in similar predicaments in Clemson offensive lineman Brandon Thomas (fourth round) and Florida Atlantic cornerback Keith Reaser (fifth round), who also had ACL surgeries. In San Francisco, Millard be given plenty of time to get back to 100 percent for the 2015 season. And with a full bill of health, he has the ability to effectively block in the run game, grab passes in the flat and even occasionally carry the ball -- he averaged 5.5 yards per carry during his college career -- all of which will make him an asset in the San Francisco backfield. The 49ers are one of the few remaining teams in the NFL that love to pound the ball between the tackles.

Heck, they even used their second round pick on physical Ohio State ball-carrier Carlos Hyde, even with Lattimore and Frank Gore already on the roster. Bruce Miller, the 49ers' current starting fullback, signed a three-year extension in March. But Millard could carve out a role as an H-back, considering the 49ers didn't nab such a player for their pistol attack with any of their 12 picks this year. Though he was one of the last picks to go off the board, Millard was an excellent player in college. If he can get back to his previous form, he has a chance to be a pretty good pro for a seventh-round selection, too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4688954/take-two-7th-rounder-set-most-to-succeed

Love this pic. Also, he's 6+ months into his injury so we'll have to watch the roster moves on this guy.
He's fast and has great hands. Although I haven't seen Bruce Miller drop that many balls.
Bruce Miller catches the ball real well. But Millard is much more of a threat to run.He's looks like the more dangerous option by far when he's healthy. With Millard in there we can run a fullback pop and get yards. I think we have run Bruce Miller like 10 times in three years. Another reason teams overplay Frank.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on May 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM ]
He will be our true swiss army knife. I bet we cross train him as a TE so we only have to carry two next year. I also have a feeling we will see a few wishbone plays when he is healthy. Imagine lining up Millard, Miller and a RB in the backfield with Boldin and Crabtree split out wide. We can run, pass, or get another lead blocker in front of Kaepernick.
How about we run a split pro set with millard frank vern bold crabs + stevie. Get everything nice and wide then pop it to trey up the middle for four.

Why do they say he won't play next year? Was the surgery bad?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
How about we run a split pro set with millard frank vern bold crabs + stevie. Get everything nice and wide then pop it to trey up the middle for four.

I'm all for some old school split set weather it's pro, far or near formations. I've heard that his surgery was like 6 months ago, so I think he starts the season as a PUP candidate. Trey looks like when he is healthy he could be a Swiss Army knife type player- full back, h-back or a big jumbo back.
I figure he'll be solid depth behind Miller and will keep him fresh especially next year when he's healthy again. We'll need backs once we lose Gore next year, and possibly Hunter and LMJ.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
he ahite he ahite
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I figure he'll be solid depth behind Miller and will keep him fresh especially next year when he's healthy again. We'll need backs once we lose Gore next year, and possibly Hunter and LMJ.

He might f**k around and replace Bruce Miller completely a couple seasons down the road. Miller was a 7th round prospect converted to fullback from DE, Millard has been playing FB since the first day he got to Oklahoma, is an experienced route runner with good hands and a solid rusher out of the backfield too. I see him either taking over the H-Back role that Delanie held or eventually stepping into the starting role at FB down the road. He's got a ways to go to become the blocker that Miller is, so only time will tell if he can get there or not.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM ]
I don't see h-back for Millard. He's made to carry the ball. He's a threat to run, so that will add a dimension to our offense currently lacking.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

That's 6 skill guys. Either Kap sits, or we only have 4 OL in this scenario...