There are 358 users in the forums

Aaron Lynch Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Look at the alignment. Look at the 4-point stance. The leo is essentially a track athlete sprinting to the quarterback.

Lol Barnett doesn't have the get off and short-area speed to live from a wide alignment.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Look at the alignment. Look at the 4-point stance. The leo is essentially a track athlete sprinting to the quarterback.

Lol Barnett doesn't have the get off and short-area speed to live from a wide alignment.

100% on Kap
Another mistake by Kap

I understand how the LEO works. I'm waiting to see how Barnett does in his pro day on his measurements without having the flu. If we're talking about straight line speed than I agree, he's not going to blow you away. My point is that Barnett has a quick first step and bend to go along with it. I just happen to believe that he can use those traits to beat his man from lined up wide just as well as pure speed and once he does with a full head of steam, he's just as capable of running down the QB.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I understand how the LEO works. I'm waiting to see how Barnett does in his pro day on his measurements without having the flu. If we're talking about straight line speed than I agree, he's not going to blow you away. My point is that Barnett has a quick first step and bend to go along with it. I just happen to believe that he can use those traits to beat his man from lined up wide just as well as pure speed and once he does with a full head of steam, he's just as capable as running down the QB.

Barnett simply doesn't have the requisite get off and short-area speed to live from a wide alignment. He needs to be close where he can use his superior hands and ability to dip that inside shoulder underneath.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM ]

That's assuming in the 49ers rendetion of this scheme that he will be asked to "live" from a wide alignment. I think with his dip and first step he has the capability of rushing from wide or not.
That's assuming in the 49ers rendetion of this scheme that he will be asked to "live" from a wide alignment. I think with his dip and first step he has the capability of rushing from wide or not.

You're totally right. That's why I prefaced my original with, "If they plan to use more of a traditional leo that rushes from a wide 9 technique". We simply don't know what they intend to do.

You're totally right. That's why I prefaced my original with, "If they plan to use more of a traditional leo that rushes from a wide 9 technique". We simply don't know what they intend to do.

Agreed. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that Barnett be the guy to constantly play wide, otherwise than Harris would probably be our guy. I agree that Barnett's hands and quick first step make him ideal from a closer alignment. I was just suggesting that with a quick first step and his bend that he has the capability to be able to line up wide as well as more of a "wrinkle", and with those two traits in a live action, full pads game, he could still run the QB down after beating his man and taking off towards the QB with a full blown head of steam.

I believe that his game lends a bit more versatility than he gets credit for and that he's not just pigeonholed to one particular play by play alignment.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 30, 2017 at 12:11 PM ]

Agreed. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that Barnett be the guy to constantly play wide, otherwise than Harris would probably be our guy. I agree that Barnett's hands and quick first step make him ideal from a closer alignment. I was just suggesting that with a quick first step and his bend that he has the capability to be able to line up wide as well as more of a "wrinkle", and with those two traits in a live action, full pads game, he could still run the QB down after beating his man and taking off towards the QB with a full blown head of steam.

I believe that his game lends a bit more versatility than he gets credit for and that he's not just pigeonholed to one particular play by play alignment.

This is more of my point Heroism. This is taken from Walter football.

Strengths:
Smooth pass-rusher
Very skilled at bending
Adept to dip underneath tackles
Uses hands and feet at same time
Deceptively athletic
Can beat tackles with speed or power
Flashes strength to shed blocks
Enough quickness to beat tackles
Awareness
Instincts
Quick to cut to the inside
Plays low
Can close on the quarterback
Gives a second effort to get sacks
Displays some natural pass-rushing skills
Upside

Todd McShay released an article as well where he felt Barnett closes better than anybody in the draft not named Myles Garrett.

Ironically Barnett and Charles Harris had very close 40 yard times and 20 yard shuttles. Barnett was pretty superior in the 3 cone. All of this was Barnett performing under the duress of the flu. I'm anxiously​ awaiting his performance in his pro day to see if he can improve his numbers. This is what I see when I watch Barnett. I see a guy that once he's lose he gets to the QB quickly. And that reinforces why I think he has the versatile ability both be it wide and inclosed at the LOS. His hands and quick first step make him lethal inline and I think he can use that same first step and bend of his to get around his man quickly outside as well in formations and use that closing ability to either flush the QB from the pocket or get the sack.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on your earlier assessment of Aaron Lynch. Aaron Lynch should be exclusively used inline where his length and hands are exclusively suited. He is not a LEO in a modern Seahawks style defense. Infact he's much closer to the five tech. Like you, I'm anxious to see the version of what the 49ers rendetion will look like.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM ]
I have no idea what happened to Charles Harris at the combine. His performance was terrible, but I am a believer in tape over everything. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's a technical aspect to all the drills at the combine that a lot of people gloss over. Being able to run, for example, a good 40 time is more than just lining up and running. The drills are not absolute indicators of athletic ability. They're just one tool in an extensive process.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:52 PM ]
I have no idea what happened to Charles Harris at the combine. His performance was terrible, but I am a believer in tape over everything. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's a technical aspect to all the drills at the combine that a lot of people gloss over. Being able to run, for example, a good 40 time is more than just lining up and running. The drills are not absolute indicators of athletic ability. They're just one tool in an extensive process.

That I agree with as much, and have advocated the same in the past. I believe that combine numbers never "paint the whole picture", and the only reason I brought it up was because you were questioning Barnett's straight line speed and short area quickness in comparison to a guy like Harris and outside of what your eyes tell you on tape, those numbers are the only official base of comparison that we have on the two as far as comparing and contrasting their measurables.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:58 PM ]

BTW I really like Barnett. I love edge rushers that are proficient with their hands. I just don't think he's a great fit for what we presume Shanahan and Saleh to ideally want on the corners.
BTW I really like Barnett. I love edge rushers that are proficient with their hands. I just don't think he's a great fit for what we presume Shanahan and Saleh to ideally want on the corners.

Yeah, I've seen you give Barnett some love. Where our disconnect is, is I don't think Barnett is an every down Wide 9 rusher and is more closer to an inline player down for down but I think his skills can translate out wide as an added wrinkle and that versatility is what I like about him.

What kind of a revelation is this? Two guys watch film and share a difference of opinions. Now we know why there are so many scouts and teams project players differently​.
Originally posted by cools:
Not sure where he's going to play,
wonder if he's been asked to lean up to 270ish so he can play that RDE/Leo spot

If they plan to use more of a traditional leo that rushes from a wide 9 technique, Lynch is a terrible fit for the leo. Aaron Lynch's strengths lie in using his length and hands. Since a wide alignment puts you further away from the tackle, it neutralizes those strengths of his. The wide 9 technique is conducive to speed rushers. Rather than taking a conventional "arc" to the quarterback, the wide alignment gives the leo a straight path right to the top of the quarterback's drop back. Speed rushers that can bend and dip are best suited in this spot.

We have none of those
Bingo. Plus it gives the rusher and extra step of space to bull rush or use a pass rush move if needed and if the RB runs to that side, the angle forces the RB inside. But you MUST be a speed rusher and not only quick and explosive off the line at the snap but have tremendous closing speed. This is the difference between a true edge rusher and a SAM or strong side DE. And he must be able to do it from both sides of the LOS in this defense.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Bingo. Plus it gives the rusher and extra step of space to bull rush or use a pass rush move if needed and if the RB runs to that side, the angle forces the RB inside. But you MUST be a speed rusher and not only quick and explosive off the line at the snap but have tremendous closing speed. This is the difference between a true edge rusher and a SAM or strong side DE. And he must be able to do it from both sides of the LOS in this defense.

Share 49ersWebzone