There are 191 users in the forums

Official 53-Man Roster Prediction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
SaksV and Kap2crab, both look solid guys. Deep roster. The losses of Iupati and Crabs, eventual I mean will be lessen by the additions we made, Stevie, and Martin/Thomas. Love this draft.
Originally posted by SaksV:
QB - Kaepernick, Gabbert
RB - Gore, Lattimore, Hyde, Hunter
FB - Miller
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton, Ellington, Osgood
TE - Davis, McDonald, Celek
LT - Staley
LG - Iupati, Looney
C - Martin, Kilgore
RG - Boone
RT - Davis, Martin
LE - McDonald, Jerrod-Eddie
RE - Smith, Carradine
UT - Dorsey, Williams
LOLB - Brooks, Skuta
LILB - Wilhoite, Borland
RILB - Willis, Moody
ROLB - Smith, Lemonier, Lynch
LCB - Culliver, Cook, Johnson
RCB - Brock, Ward, Wright
FS - Reid, Spillman
SS - Bethea, Ventrone
K - Dawson
P - Lee
LS - McDermott

I expect one CB and/or one WR to be de-activated on a regular basis throughout the season...perhaps Osgood/Johnson/Wright
When Bowman returns, expect Brandon Lloyd to be released and Nick Moody/Aaron Lynch to join the de-activation rotation.

NFI - OG Brandon Thomas, CB Keith Reasor

Practice Squad - QB Bethel-Thompson, OT Marquardt, DE Okoye, UT Dial, CB Morris, CB Acker, WR Jacobs, 7th Rounder

Not bad, but I don't think we'll carry 7 receivers on the 53, especially given the nature of our offense. Otherwise, you might've nailed it.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on May 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
SaksV and Kap2crab, both look solid guys. Deep roster. The losses of Iupati and Crabs, eventual I mean will be lessen by the additions we made, Stevie, and Martin/Thomas. Love this draft.

AB, do you believe we'll retain one or both at this point?

I feel like we've set ourselves up nicely to offset the potential loss of Iupati now with the additions of Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas.
The tough question I'm having is, based on my roster, who would be the 7 inactives assuming full health. My guess would be Hyde, Ellington, Marcus Martin, Lynch, TJE/Ian Williams, Moody, Dontae Johnson, and whoever is worse at special teams between Wright and Cox.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

I feel like we've set ourselves up nicely to offset the potential loss of Iupati now with the additions of Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas.

I truly believe Iupati is as good as gone. Crabs idk. I want to keep him, but It's 50/50 IMO.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

I truly believe Iupati is as good as gone. Crabs idk. I want to keep him, but It's 50/50 IMO.

I'm feel the same way. It just stinks, because crabs really is developing into a top flight WR. After the garbage we went through to get him to sign his rookie deal, I just got a feeling he is looking to break the bank.
Drop James, add a CB.

Also Reaser will start on PUP also, he is recovering from a Torn ACL, he is a stash away player.

who is returning punts? Cox and?
Originally posted by znk916:
Drop James, add a CB.

Also Reaser will start on PUP also, he is recovering from a Torn ACL, he is a stash away player.

Ellington?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Ellington?

as far as I can tell, he returned 3 punts for 16 yds in his college career
Drop James, add a CB.

I would put Ellington back there, or Cox. Both should(I hope) be better than James.

Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for znk916.
I would put Ellington back there, or Cox. Both should(I hope) be better than James.

My god we've butchered the punt return position yet again...I guess they really don't care about it lol.

My god we've butchered the punt return position yet again...I guess they really don't care about it lol.

I think James is a good return guy and it's by no means a given that he won't be on the team. Baalke reiterated again that he's gonna be our returner and that doesn't guarantee anything but it's still worth noting.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
I think James is a good return guy and it's by no means a given that he won't be on the team. Baalke reiterated again that he's gonna be our returner and that doesn't guarantee anything but it's still worth noting.
In my opinion the Baalke quotes are nothing but a smokescreen. I think they're going to trade him.

Let's say Baalke comes out and says, "yeah, James lost his role as a returner. Our backfield is really crowded now, after Hyde and Lattimore. We may consider shopping him." Well, now what? Now any team that negotiates with us will say, "why would we give you anything of value? You said it yourself -- he doesn't have a spot. We'll just wait for you to release him."

Meanwhile, if he says, "James is our starting returner. We envision a bigger role for him this year," then suddenly we give the illusion that he's more valuable. "Hey, Chip, I'd love to make James an Eagle, but he's our starting return guy. We're gonna need some decent compensation if we're gonna let him go."

I mean, the point is, they're always going to blow sunshine and flowers up our asses in public comments. I'm guessing other teams put little stock into what we coaches/GM's say publicly. But saying something negative about a player has almost no value.
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM ]
I guess Ellington will be in the mix for PR, not really inspiring any confidence but I don't see how he gets on the field any other way as a rook. How about Patton, he had 8 returns for 27 yards in college
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
QB: Kaep/Gabbert
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Hyde*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Patton
WR: Boldin/Ellington*
WR: Johnson*/Osgood

LT: Staley/Martin*
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Martin*/Kilgore