There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

6th Round: CB Kenneth Acker - SMU is now a 49er!

STRENGTHS Very good size. Clean footwork, fluid hips and good balance in his pedal. Good coverage instincts. Sorts out route combos and reacts to the thrown ball. Good route recognition, anticipation and ball production. Has a 36-inch vertical jump and adjusts well to the ball in the air. Plays with confidence. Willing in run support.

WEAKNESSES Average press strength. Struggled keeping phase with Texas A&M WR Mike Evans down the field and will struggle vs. the physicality of bigger receivers. Low, dive tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE A big, short-area, zone corner with intriguing ball skills to stick as a No. 4 or No. 5 corner and special-teams contributor.

Wow I can tell from this thread that everyone is very excited about this pick. Settle down everyone.
Don't now anything about him but does look athletic baalke took a flyer
Don't sleep on him, we've done very well with identifying late prospects at corner going back for several years now.
I'm fine with the pick, and the Keith Reaser pick. Need some depth. Reaser is a stash away pick. Acker can play I'm sure. Going to be fun to watch.
Originally posted by cory4903:
Wow I can tell from this thread that everyone is very excited about this pick. Settle down everyone.

Lol!
I watched a handful of SMU games this past year sort of scouting Garrett Gilbert as a possible backup QB. The guy that stood out the most to me in the SMU games I watched was Acker...he's got great feet, plays physical with WRs and always seemed to be around the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a solid CB for us in the mold of Tramaine Brock.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
SMU produces a CB per year that makes an NFL team. He is this year's CB lol. Acker also used to be a WR if I am remembering correctly who the beat writers described on Twitter while I was reading about the picks at work.
On that video it said in high school he had 11 punt/kick returns for TDs and 4 ints for TDs. He could have a shot at our PR or KR. I think Ellington has a chance at KR and possibly PR as well. Also, I like Acker better than Reiser and maybe Johnson but I think all 3 of these guys have great potential. We did well with Phillip Adams (out of south carolina st) a few years back and Cooper last year so watch out for these guys. I'm going to be watching him closely; I was big on Brock as well. Acker and Johnson are going to give Morris Cox and Cook a run for their money. Reiser probably goes to NFI.

More on Acker:
Prep: A three-star Rivals.com recruit... Ranked as the sixth-best player in the state of Oregon by Scout... Lined up at quarterback, slot receiver, outside receiver, cornerback, punt and kick returner and kicker at various points as a prep... Generated nearly 3,000 all-purpose yards and 40 touchdowns as a senior... Had 11 kickoff/punt returns for touchdowns and four pick-sixes on the season (six interceptions overall)... Became the first player to be named both the Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year by the Portland Interscholastic League - and did so twice (2008 & 2009)... Also named first team All-State Class 6A at defensive back and second team at quarterback... Was a high school teammate of Mustang hoops standout Paul McCoy... Was a first-team All-State point guard as a junior... Had five scholarship offers including one from Hawaii.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
He looks like the typical cover corner that fangio likes. Hope he develops fast under Fangio and Donatelle. [ rock]
Don't be surprised if we give this guy a shot at punt returns as well. We value versatility and while he wasn't a dedicated punt returner at SMU he did return some punts and was pretty filthy at it in high school (11 kickoff and punt return td's). He also dabbled at wr as well.

Check out the below highlights from a single game in high school.... the punt return is FILTHY, even for high school competition. This guy seems like an athlete with upside and potential versatility to land him on the roster.

Looks like a grown man vs 6 year old kids. Kind of like Clowney high school tape. I mentioned in my post a few up but yeah he has a chance to unseat Morris as the #6 especially if he can be our #1 punt returner. Ellington will probably be the #1 KR if LMJ goes and Cox, Acker, etc could fight for PR.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM ]
Hope this kid gets some reps at KR/PR during pre-season. Would like to see what he can do out there.
I'm hoping he makes the roster. I could see him beating out Cox for a spot as our KR/PR CB
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM ]