LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Bruce Ellington is not a 49er!

Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Would I curse him is what I'm saying?

Why would you want to curse him potty mouth?
Wonder what number he'll end up choosing
Can't believe he lasted into the 4th

We picked a real winner.

That return showed his ability in addition to his receiving skills.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM ]
this cat is going to be great!
Rookie or not this kid NOT only has he earned the respect of his coaches and his teammates i think hes also earned the right to be our slot receiver ahead of Lloyd Patton & Johnson he has worked his tail off n he deserves to be out there when we have 3 receiver sets. Call me crazy but hes well ahead of the rest of the other WR's i just mentioned.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Rookie or not this kid NOT only has he earned the respect of his coaches and his teammates i think hes also earned the right to be our slot receiver ahead of Lloyd Patton & Johnson he has worked his tail off n he deserves to be out there when we have 3 receiver sets. Call me crazy but hes well ahead of the rest of the other WR's i just mentioned.

People getting way too carried away over preseason football. Ellington is impressive and has a lot of potential but Johnson has had 3 1,000+ yard seasons in his career thus far. I think people are putting way too much weight on a limited sample size. I'd still have Johnson and Crabtree on the outside with Boldin in the slot, especially with Johnson's ability to handle press coverage.

I also think Patton and Ellington are pretty much even, both bring different things to the table, both had outstanding rookie preseasons. Patton has more experience in the offense. Lloyd has the most experience as a receiver overall but injury issues have slowed him down and I don't know if he makes the team over Osgood depending on what the coaching staff prioritizes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

People getting way too carried away over preseason football. Ellington is impressive and has a lot of potential but Johnson has had 3 1,000+ yard seasons in his career thus far. I think people are putting way too much weight on a limited sample size. I'd still have Johnson and Crabtree on the outside with Boldin in the slot, especially with Johnson's ability to handle press coverage.

I also think Patton and Ellington are pretty much even, both bring different things to the table, both had outstanding rookie preseasons. Patton has more experience in the offense. Lloyd has the most experience as a receiver overall but injury issues have slowed him down and I don't know if he makes the team over Osgood depending on what the coaching staff prioritizes.

We got to cut Lloyd and keep Osgood. He's unbelievable on special teams. The best special teamer we have. Lloyd is living in the past. He was slow the first go around in S.F. By now he is older and more injured and even slower. Patton and Ellington both belong on the team before Lloyd IMO. Younger and faster. Osgood is great on special teams.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Ellington has surpassed LMJ on return duties and has surpassed Patton and johnson at the WR position.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Ellington has surpassed LMJ on return duties and has surpassed Patton and johnson at the WR position.

According to who? The fans, sure, but fans b***hed and cried about Lavelle Hawkins getting cut last year. I think Johnson, simply based on his resume, is still the front runner. He's shown no trouble creating separation at all. I think as time goes on, he'll improve his chemistry with Kaepernick and having a guy that can handle press coverage as well as he does will be vital vs Seattle. Patton is ahead because of his experience in this offense. Ellington will contribute as a returner initially and then work his way into the offense as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Come on he didn't surpass Johnson...... Johnson has multiple 1,000 yard season in the NFL. I like Ellington a lot but it's highly doubtful he ever has a 1,000 yard season. Just because Kaep can't find him you can't blame him. Kaep is good for 1 read. Once in a great while he does a 2nd read. Rarely if ever will he do a 3rd read. I really hope he gets better at his progressions because Johnson can be something for us.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Come on he didn't surpass Johnson...... Johnson has multiple 1,000 yard season in the NFL. I like Ellington a lot but it's highly doubtful he ever has a 1,000 yard season. Just because Kaep can't find him you can't blame him. Kaep is good for 1 read. Once in a great while he does a 2nd read. Rarely if ever will he do a 3rd read. I really hope he gets better at his progressions because Johnson can be something for us.

Its not even Kaepernick. Gabbert couldn't throw the ball to save his life and guys like Johnson and Patton were constantly getting open, they were doing their jobs. Today was really bad as previously Gabbert was missing guys by inches, today he was throwing the ball like 10 feet in front of them or a few feet over their heads.

Regardless of what the fans think, the coaches will base their decisions on having seen these guys, day in and day out, going way beyond just the preseason games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Look who's already in mid-season form. It's SD49er!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

We picked a real winner.

So happy Baalke slow-played the wr class in this years draft. We got a mini Anquan Boldin with more speed in the same round that other teams were drafting failed ST-gunners. This f**king draft
[ Edited by kush on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Its not even Kaepernick. Gabbert couldn't throw the ball to save his life and guys like Johnson and Patton were constantly getting open, they were doing their jobs. Today was really bad as previously Gabbert was missing guys by inches, today he was throwing the ball like 10 feet in front of them or a few feet over their heads.

Regardless of what the fans think, the coaches will base their decisions on having seen these guys, day in and day out, going way beyond just the preseason games.

I agree they both have been opena and doing their jobs. Kaep and Gabbert have been awful. At least in this preseason.
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

We picked a real winner.

So happy Baalke slow-played the wr class in this years draft. We got a mini Anquan Boldin with more speed in the same round that other teams were drafting failed ST-gunners. This f**king draft

Mini Anquan Boldin and potential JJ Watt. Baalke really killed this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone