There are 155 users in the forums

Bruce Ellington is not a 49er!

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by McClusky:
Receiver is arguably the most notoriously difficult position to transition to in the NFL. The game is played drastically differently at that position then it is in college. Far more talented receivers than Ellington have flamed out in the NFL because they couldn't get adjusted to the NFL game. Considering he was pretty raw coming out of college I don't blame any of the coaching staffs for having a hard time finding ways to use him so far in the NFL. It remains to be seen if he can make the jump in year 3.

A guy can flash athleticism in a limited role, and struggle to get involved in a larger capacity. Just look at guys like Cordarelle Patterson or Tavon Austin.

FWIW Austin took a nice step forward this year as an offensive weapon. It took an OC that actually had a creative bone or two in his body (unlike Brian Schottenheimer) to move him around and find ways to get him the ball in space or find ways to let him use his speed and quickness to make plays. They even lined him up at HB.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
How much do you really know about what Chip likes or what kinds of players he has used in the past? Seems like not that much. If you look back through his Philly rosters and Oregon teams, you will find he has played small WR's and has moved the WR into the backfield to give the defense a different look.

Ditto

Next you will say you know nothing Jon snow

Based on what chip has used in the past at WR Ellington is on the small end to say the least. Another more informed poster said as much earlier in the thread..

Based on what chip is on record saying he likes in a footballer, BIG, STRONG, athletic.

ellington has 1 of three covered on that demand.

Hope for his sake that is his lucky odds, and 1 of three coaches like him for more game time. As the last two coaches made the call on him.
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by MFWIC:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
3rd coach that has a chance to actually use him before he's gone and gets used properly somewhere else

he's our tyler lockett but the coaches have been dunces and haven't used him enough

lol

It's been argued by many that the coaches know best as they are on the inside watching the team train etc...

So if two coaches have left him out of position and or not used him much what makes you think the third coach will,suddenly see the light on him and make him a big part of the plays?

So you buy that Jim Tomsula knew best? Or Jim Harbaugh, who is clearly Sid Gillman/Don Coryell reincarnated knew how to use receivers?

No I don't, coaches were the worst in the league last year, and the performance on the game day showed it. what I said was "its argued by many" that coaches new best.

In other threads this has been used ad nauseam.

As for JH an ego maniac to be sure, but he does have some coaching ability, so was Ellington used much when he was coaching? Answer no.

I really can't see chip doing much with Ellington, he is too small for the WR type player he likes. With questions raised about his training and how he looks after himself adding weight to concerns that chip may overlook him.

How much do you really know about what Chip likes or what kinds of players he has used in the past? Seems like not that much. If you look back through his Philly rosters and Oregon teams, you will find he has played small WR's and has moved the WR into the backfield to give the defense a different look.

I don't know much about his preferences for WRs and tried to get a sense of it based off of who he's drafted and who gets snaps. I think he likes big bodied WRs but Josh Huff goes against that line of thought. Ellington, though, is really short.

I've seen him use jet sweep motion from a WR, but I haven't seen him use a WR out of the backfield like how Tavon Austin is used, getting carries like a RB. How often did he line up WRs in the backfield while at Oregon?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
3rd coach that has a chance to actually use him before he's gone and gets used properly somewhere else

he's our tyler lockett but the coaches have been dunces and haven't used him enough

lol

It's been argued by many that the coaches know best as they are on the inside watching the team train etc...

So if two coaches have left him out of position and or not used him much what makes you think the third coach will,suddenly see the light on him and make him a big part of the plays?

So you buy that Jim Tomsula knew best? Or Jim Harbaugh, who is clearly Sid Gillman/Don Coryell reincarnated knew how to use receivers?

No I don't, coaches were the worst in the league last year, and the performance on the game day showed it. what I said was "its argued by many" that coaches new best.

As for JH an ego maniac to be sure, but he does have some coaching ability, so was Ellington used much when he was coaching? Answer no.

I really can't see chip doing much with Ellington, he is too small for the WR type player he likes. With questions raised about his training and how he looks after himself adding weight to concerns that chip may overlook him.

I don't know much about his preferences for WRs and tried to get a sense of it based off of who he's drafted and who gets snaps. I think he likes big bodied WRs but Josh Huff goes against that line of thought. Ellington, though, is really short.

I've seen him use jet sweep motion from a WR, but I haven't seen him use a WR out of the backfield like how Tavon Austin is used, getting carries like a RB. How often did he line up WRs in the backfield while at Oregon?

In The NFL he will do some of the WR like 5 yards behind the LOS almost even with the QB for a bubble screen or a sweep. He used Jackson in it his 1st year.

At Oregon he used D Thomas as a hybrid type of player with a lot of sucess. He is a small guy and lined up all over as RB and WR.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran

lol

In The NFL he will do some of the WR like 5 yards behind the LOS almost even with the QB for a bubble screen or a sweep. He used Jackson in it his 1st year.

At Oregon he used D Thomas as a hybrid type of player with a lot of sucess. He is a small guy and lined up all over as RB and WR.

If many college players have trouble with the transition to NFL, and many a commentator saying College play calling doesn't transition all that well to NFL.
I find it strange to references a college player in a college league as evidence on how an NFL HC in a NFL WR would be used.

More likely chips use of WR in the NFL would be more accurate to how he most likely will use our WR

As thl408 has said twice now, chip prefers bigger taller WR Ove the size of Ellington.
  • thl408
If many college players have trouble with the transition to NFL, and many a commentator saying College play calling doesn't transition all that well to NFL.
I find it strange to references a college player in a college league as evidence on how an NFL HC in a NFL WR would be used.

More likely chips use of WR in the NFL would be more accurate to how he most likely will use our WR

As thl408 has said twice now, chip prefers bigger taller WR Ove the size of Ellington.

I don't know that, I just think that based on who he drafted and plays. But there is evidence of Chip acquiring WRs with small builds that I wasn't aware of. There's Huff who is a 5'11 WR he drafted in the 3rd round which I consider a high draft pick. I think he likes WRs that can run well with the ball in their hands since he likes to get his WRs in space for RAC. Bigger WRs are more likely to break through an arm tackle from a CB.
Just rereading this , several thots come to mind

Crabtree leaves, and does well in Oakland.

Lockette goes to SEA and plays well.

We have yet a 3rd guy Ginn, who didn't do squat go to Panthers and becomes useful but not great.

The thot that comes to mind is we have not seen a HC since mooch come here and have any idea what the heck an O is, nor how to use WRs, nor how to teach WRs. We have had one DC after another as HC and then Harbaw comes as the QB whistperer, and he is a foul ball on O. Lousy QB coach, lousy WR coach and chose assitstants who were no better than he was. I've admitted to not wanting Chip here, but now am very glad he came here. We have been a wasteland on O for yrs now, and have had WRs come and go and nobody has done well. I certainly can't be the only one to think our WR play is due a lot more to crappy coaching than poor talent. I suspect our WR play will pick up immeasurably this yr, tho have no idea who the WRs will be.

As an aside, in rereading the above the obvious choice for a WR like player that chip ends up using would be Miller. Chip doesn't use a FB, but Miller i can see being used a lot in chips O...just not as a FB. He blocks well, runs well, and catches well. I bet he is used at WR a fair amount this yr.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:17 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran

lol

You know that the big deal about Chip and his offense is that he brought mostly his college offense to the NFL. That is why people are skeptical of weather or not the Chip Kelly offense can last in the NFL.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

We have yet a 3rd guy Ginn, who didn't do squat go to Panthers and becomes useful but not great.

The thot that comes to mind is we have not seen a HC since mooch come here and have any idea what the heck an O is, nor how to use WRs, nor how to teach WRs. We have had one DC after another as HC and then Harbaw comes as the QB whistperer, and he is a foul ball on O. Lousy QB coach, lousy WR coach and chose assitstants who were no better than he was. I've admitted to not wanting Chip here, but now am very glad he came here. We have been a wasteland on O for yrs now, and have had WRs come and go and nobody has done well. I certainly can't be the only one to think our WR play is due a lot more to crappy coaching than poor talent. I suspect our WR play will pick up immeasurably this yr, tho have no idea who the WRs will be.

As an aside, in rereading the above the obvious choice for a WR like player that chip ends up using would be Miller. Chip doesn't use a FB, but Miller i can see being used a lot in chips O...just not as a FB. He blocks well, runs well, and catches well. I bet he is used at WR a fair amount this yr.

This
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

This

Ya, i think they keep Miller as a RB/TE/FB/H-Back role.

I don't know that, I just think that based on who he drafted and plays. But there is evidence of Chip acquiring WRs with small builds that I wasn't aware of. There's Huff who is a 5'11 WR he drafted in the 3rd round which I consider a high draft pick. I think he likes WRs that can run well with the ball in their hands since he likes to get his WRs in space for RAC. Bigger WRs are more likely to break through an arm tackle from a CB.
Two of the best seasons for wide receivers in his three years were maclin and desean. Both small.
Bruce Ellington was taken 12 Spots Higher then this guy who the 49ers and Kaep Desperately needed:

Can Some one Say New GM Wanted Please.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Bruce Ellington was taken 12 Spots Higher then this guy who the 49ers and Kaep Desperately needed:

Kaep desperately needed to learn how to play QB last year. He couldn't even see wide open guys.

Broken record.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Broken record.

FFS, THIS!!!
Share 49ersWebzone