LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

49er argument: go all in now or be just good for a long time.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Stay on top for a decade.

Thank you.

/thread.
Originally posted by Nuns:
You need a ticket the show to have a chance. The more times you make the playoffs, the better your odds are of winning 1. The best team doesn't always win the superbowl.

Exactly, statistically the team that always makes the playoffs will win more superbowls than the ones that "go for it all".... lets remember how many #1 seeds in recent memory have actually made or won the superbowl before Seattle, who is touting the draft and UDf*gency as the reason for their success.

There is absolutely no reason nowadays to bet the farm for a 2 year SB window, the game has changed. The Steelers didnt do it, Giants didnt do it, Patriots tried but failed and havent done it since, the list goes on...

Edit: haha took me awhile to notice why UDF + Agency was censored
[ Edited by 5280High on May 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM ]
How many teams in the NFL have an identity? Take a look at the teams that make the playoffs year after year, their philosophy remains the same. There is stability in ownership, front office and coaching. How many teams in the league are Super Bowl or bust? Not many.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Niners816:
With a roster as talented as ours, there is no need to go all in. With the way the playoffs are, you just need to get in and anything can happen. Hell, 1987 might be the greatest niner team ever and they got knocked out In their first game. '88 squad gets in with a 10-6 records and wins it all. Draft picks and cap control is the life blood of an nfl team, we seem to have a front office that understands this and is shooting for longevity.
No one is considering this is the last year Kap is on his rookie deal, he is going to get a $15 mil + a year raise. If this year's and next year's draft don't yield some cheap impact players the team could decline quite a bit.

This is what we have been talking about the entire off-season. The general consensus is Kap / Aldon will be paid, Crabs / Iupati will walk. We drafted Iupati's replacedment, but not Crabtree's.

The one thing missing from this draft is Crabs replacement, which is a little disappointing.

They traded for Crabs replacement.
Stevie Johnson.

Yes, that is a good point. That is why it's a "little" disappointing. We have Johnson for three years, but he's not super cheap.

But I think that is basically our max salary at the WR position. About 6 million. I think it is a good idea.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rtj03:
People here are upset we didn't get a couple of impact players or happy that we are building a solid team for many years.

Where do you stand and why?

I believe We do have a solid roster but that has only proved to make us competitive but not good enough to be the best. We had all the ammo to get an impact,starter but instead we have players that will contribute in 2-3 years when the guys we have now are done and proved not to be good enough to win Super Bowl. I just don't want to be the eagles or even the bills. SHEhawks went after traded for Lynch and traded for Harvin and I know he didn't contribute this past year but it's an example of trying to get over the top and going for the jugular.

This seems somewhat familiar.

Have you created other threads focusing on the same theme?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
How many teams in the NFL have an identity? Take a look at the teams that make the playoffs year after year, their philosophy remains the same. There is stability in ownership, front office and coaching. How many teams in the league are Super Bowl or bust? Not many.
You can add top 10 QB to that list. The perennial contenders haven't been doing it with scrub QBs.
We did both.

We added a guy in Stevie Johnson who has over 1K receiving yards 3 or the last 4 years and drafted the:

#1 RB
#1 C
#1 FB
#2 ILB
A 1st or 2nd round talent at OG that will redshirt most likely this year
One of the top rated safties who will be one of if not the best nickle CBs in this years draft
A WR/KR that Mel Kiper called not far off from Brandon Cooks in Bruce Ellington
A OLB/DE with 1st round talent that has had some personal issues that could turn out to be a huge steal

AND we added a bunch of guys that provide solid depth, who could turn out to be big contributors (I think CB Dontae Johnson has big time upside, could end up being a starter)

Not to mention we add 2 rookies that redshirted last year with 1st round talent in Tank and Lattimore. Oh and we're getting Ian Williams, a guy who beat out Dorsey for the staring NT job back from injury and Chris Culliver, arguably our best CB in 2012 back. This roster is loaded, we're bringing in guys who can and will contribute right away, others who will provide depth now and have a chance to make big impacts later while also adding some guys we can stash on IR or NFI this year.
[ Edited by matt49er on May 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM ]
I would argue that this offseason makes us better this year versus just adding a few players. Inuries happen and we are now prepared to handle most injury on the roster other then a few positions. Competition bringsout the best in players and this will be by far the most competitive training camp we have seen in the Jim Harbaugh era. There is a lot of young hungry guys that are going to have to fight just to make this squad let alone start, everyone needs to bring their A game. It wouldnt be a stretch to see vets lose their jobs. What if Stevie Johnson comes out hot this training camp, he could easily push Boldin or Crabtree for their starting role, on the flipside I wouldnt be surprised to see Patton be the third receiver. I know I might get toasted for this but I wouldnt be surprised t osee Gore lose his job to a hungry Lattimore and Hyde. Kilgore bettter bring his A game with Martin in the building, rookie or not. On defense, the cornerback spot is going to be quite interesting, the only locked in starter is Brock from last year, thats going to be a frenzy. Who is going to start opposite willis, just because wilholte was good last year does not mean he will be handed that starting role to begin the season this year! Skuta and lemonier better watch out for aaron lynch because if he plays like he did at notre dame he will be he steal of this draft. I dont even think I need to mention the dline roatation even though Justin and Ray are locked in as starters. That level of competition accross the board is going to force players to bring their absolue best just to make a spot, we wil be far better for it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Best S, C and RB and top OT and Stevie Johnson for free an signed through 2016? I'd say all four moves ARE impact moves for now and WELL into the future.

I so agree, this draft it feels to me that we addressed both, and Stevie has a knack for having big games against Sherman and Revis. Plus, as in the above statement which I am agreement with, Carlos Hyde was the best RB in the draft. I don't think we will end up being another Eagles or Bills, we definitely have the pieces, its up to the coaching staff now.
Share 49ersWebzone