There are 192 users in the forums

Brandon Thomas OL (traded to DET)

Shop 49ers game tickets
And since he was on I.R. doesn't that mean we get him for that 5th year?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM ]
Didn't be stone clowney last year in college. He can be a lg and since he was a solid tackle he could be a swing or backup tackle. Finally we get some good pass protection
  • thl408
I'm not sure how realistic it is to think BT can win one of the Guard spots next season. All of last season was dedicated to rehabbing his injury. He hasn't had one practice so he's essentially a rookie. My early prediction is that the starters of the interior will be MMartin (guard), Kilgore (center), and Boone with BT the first guy off the bench while Looney packs his bags. MMartin is the backup C if Kilgore goes down.

In 2016, Kilgore and a Boone's contracts expire and that's when BT becomes a starter and MMartin moves to Center. Just a prediction.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not sure how realistic it is to think BT can win one of the Guard spots next season. All of last season was dedicated to rehabbing his injury. He hasn't had one practice so he's essentially a rookie. My early prediction is that the starters of the interior will be MMartin (guard), Kilgore (center), and Boone with BT the first guy off the bench while Looney packs his bags. MMartin is the backup C if Kilgore goes down.

In 2016, Kilgore and a Boone's contracts expire and that's when BT becomes a starter and MMartin moves to Center. Just a prediction.

I think Kilgore will be here long term.

And Looney is pretty good for depth, not sure why we would get rid of him
  • thl408
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Oh you are right. Kilgore signed a 4 year deal. I don't think very highly of Looney, but that's just me.
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:45 AM ]

Oh you are right. Kilgore signed a 4 year deal. I don't think very highly of Looney, but that's just me.

I love predictions. Always good to put yourself out there. Yeah, Looney is a good pulling G but still needs to lean down and get better technique in pass protection. The guy has been all over the map and IIRC, even played a game at C for us last year?

For me personally, I hope the ZBS is installed and I hope it's open competition for every position and REAL competition. The one thing this OL lacked was accountability. Hell, the entire offense never had one single personnel move d/t poor play which is mind-boggling to me.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Didn't be stone clowney last year in college. He can be a lg and since he was a solid tackle he could be a swing or backup tackle. Finally we get some good pass protection

Brandon Thomas Draft Profile: From NFL.com

STRENGTHS Good size with very long arms and big hands. Quick out of his stance. Knee bender with good balance and body control. Solid base. Places his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Strong-handed puncher with good grip strength once he latches on. Athletic, efficient mover. Light on his feet to step to the second level or pull. Can maneuver and throw his hips in the hole. Climbs to the second level. Three-year starter who played tackle (two-time first-team All-ACC at LT). Held his own against Jadeveon Clowney without help.

WEAKNESSES Power element missing. Limited hip snap -- not a road-grading mauler. Susceptible to bull rush when he sets tall. Could stand to improve lateral slide and inside punch to shut down strong inside moves. Inconsistent second-level sustain. Is better with simple assignments and effectiveness wanes in space. Can do a better job playing with his head on a swivel. Still learning what it means to prepare like a pro.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3

BOTTOM LINE Strong-bodied, dependable gap blocker who played left tackle in college but will likely slide inside in the pros. Showed improvement as a senior and has the potential to be a long-term fixture at left guard. Ability to play tackle in a pinch adds to value.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brandon-thomas?id=2543702
Looney was called out by our coach as playing poor so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, not good depth either. BT and MM will compete for the lg spot and I believe bt may win bc of his superior pass blocking skills being a tackle in college.

The niners can't afford to have kap running around and pressured for his life every game. The ol definitely had the biggest affect on the offense along with the play calling/ lack of adjustments
Looney was called out by our coach as playing poor so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, not good depth either. BT and MM will compete for the lg spot and I believe bt may win bc of his superior pass blocking skills being a tackle in college.

The niners can't afford to have kap running around and pressured for his life every game. The ol definitely had the biggest affect on the offense along with the play calling/ lack of adjustments

Totally. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Baalke trade back a couple spots and even pick up a premier OL as well this draft...I'm about to review the OL's available in FA as well.
Originally posted by slowriot:

Brandon Thomas Draft Profile: From NFL.com

STRENGTHS Good size with very long arms and big hands. Quick out of his stance. Knee bender with good balance and body control. Solid base. Places his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Strong-handed puncher with good grip strength once he latches on. Athletic, efficient mover. Light on his feet to step to the second level or pull. Can maneuver and throw his hips in the hole. Climbs to the second level. Three-year starter who played tackle (two-time first-team All-ACC at LT). Held his own against Jadeveon Clowney without help.

WEAKNESSES Power element missing. Limited hip snap -- not a road-grading mauler. Susceptible to bull rush when he sets tall. Could stand to improve lateral slide and inside punch to shut down strong inside moves. Inconsistent second-level sustain. Is better with simple assignments and effectiveness wanes in space. Can do a better job playing with his head on a swivel. Still learning what it means to prepare like a pro.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3

BOTTOM LINE Strong-bodied, dependable gap blocker who played left tackle in college but will likely slide inside in the pros. Showed improvement as a senior and has the potential to be a long-term fixture at left guard. Ability to play tackle in a pinch adds to value.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brandon-thomas?id=2543702

Sounds like a good to great fit for LG to me in a ZBS. Should be interesting!

I see Daniel Jeremiah just mocked us with OG/T Brandon Scherff with #15.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:

I love predictions. Always good to put yourself out there. Yeah, Looney is a good pulling G but still needs to lean down and get better technique in pass protection. The guy has been all over the map and IIRC, even played a game at C for us last year?

For me personally, I hope the ZBS is installed and I hope it's open competition for every position and REAL competition. The one thing this OL lacked was accountability. Hell, the entire offense never had one single personnel move d/t poor play which is mind-boggling to me.

With Dillon Farrell already contributing so early, I see Looney on the way out. Farrell bring so much more upside and quite frankly as a prospect I thought he had hidden starter potential if developed properly. Farrell I think with a year under his belt can beat out Looney for the last interior line spot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:

With Dillon Farrell already contributing so early, I see Looney on the way out. Farrell bring so much more upside and quite frankly as a prospect I thought he had hidden starter potential if developed properly. Farrell I think with a year under his belt can beat out Looney for the last interior line spot.

That could very well be! He played C well for us in pre season and played G as well. I can't wait to watch these kids develop!
Time to let Looney GTFO and do away with that complete MESS of the 2012 Draft. 49ers need BT to win the job at LG and play solid. All these Balke picks along the OLINE like Martin and BT need to be contributing in a positive way. I also hope Balke Drafts a studd OLINEman and signs a vet OLINEMEN too.
What is up with this guy?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Time to let Looney GTFO and do away with that complete MESS of the 2012 Draft. 49ers need BT to win the job at LG and play solid. All these Balke picks along the OLINE like Martin and BT need to be contributing in a positive way. I also hope Balke Drafts a studd OLINEman and signs a vet OLINEMEN too.

Is there ANY thread you don't b***h about Baalke in? Use the official thread. Your act is not only old, but your points/logic are even worse...bring back Adam Snyder! LMAO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone