There are 155 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

Kevin Lynch saying Stevie Johnson wont make team if they sign Crabtree before season starts
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the whole QB/WR timing thing is a bunch of crap. There are plenty of rookies that come in and produce and way more than a hand full of veterans. Kap and Steve are two vets. There is no excuse. It's either the scheme, Stevie or Kap. I'm leaning towards scheme, just because Stevie deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's had 3 thousand yard seasons with scrub QBs. WR come to SF and die. Straight up.

Boldin hasn't died. He's thrived but I agree that we aren't WR heaven unless you are one of the 2 starters
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Kevin Lynch saying Stevie Johnson wont make team if they sign Crabtree before season starts

• 9moon
  • Veteran
It would be a great mistake if Johnson doesn't make the team, especially if they keep Lloyd. Johnson would we the perfect sidekick for Crabb once Boldin retires, and seeing both Patton and Ellington on the slot would be a nightmare for opposing team.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

f**king dumb lol hahaha. It's not like it's his fault the ball hasn't gotten thrown his way. Especially against SD when Kap was running for his life all game.
  • thl408

I don't get it. If Crabs is extended, his new salary kicks in in the 15-16 season. Crabs salary doesn't change in the soon to start 14-15 season. Why does extending Crabs affect SJ in the 14-15 season?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Was listening to KNBR to. If they sign Crabs to an extension, I think its possible SJ gets cut next season due to his salary or he's restructured. This season I think he's safe because he's only making $3 million I think. Next year though, like Lynch said, you can't have 3 WR's making $6+ million each.

I really don't think SJ has the playbook down yet and/or no timing with Kaep. That timing will come though as the season moves on.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

f**king dumb lol hahaha. It's not like it's his fault the ball hasn't gotten thrown his way. Especially against SD when Kap was running for his life all game.

I'll be seriously f**king pissed. No way this is true. We finally get some WR depth only to blow it up in a few weeks. Doesn't make sense.

We made the trade for proven production in the REGULAR SEASON. We'd be nuts to cut him over a slow TC and pre-season.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Was listening to KNBR to. If they sign Crabs to an extension, I think its possible SJ gets cut next season due to his salary or he's restructured. This season I think he's safe because he's only making $3 million I think. Next year though, like Lynch said, you can't have 3 WR's making $6+ million each.

I really don't think SJ has the playbook down yet and/or no timing with Kaep. That timing will come though as the season moves on.

Next season, maybe. But he's not going anywhere this year. We gotta see what this guy can bring to the table first. Make the decision to keep him or not next off-season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Baldie:

That makes a lot more sense. That it affects SJ in the 15-16 season. Dream scenario. The 49ers extend Crabs, win a SB, and send Boldin riding off into the sunset. SJ takes Boldin's $6 salary slot in 15-16 because he proves he's worth it.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

I'll be seriously f**king pissed. No way this is true. We finally get some WR depth only to blow it up in a few weeks. Doesn't make sense.

We made the trade for proven production in the REGULAR SEASON. We'd be nuts to cut him over a slow TC and pre-season.

Yup...

As much as it doesnt make sense to us, I could see the FO doing exactly this.
Not that its the most important thing about being a WR... but this preseason he has been the best blocking WR on the field. For as good as Hyde has looked, allot of those extra yards are coming from Johnson's side.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

As much as it doesnt make sense to us, I could see the FO doing exactly this.

Lynch's argument was basically that we got SJ for free so its no big deal if hes cut
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
When you hear a local radio host saying something like Stevie Johnson might not make the team. Take it with a huge grain of salt. Its just the host trying to drum up controversy to get people to call in.
Share 49ersWebzone