LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

• pd24
  • Veteran
We can't cut him. The seahawks will pick him up. Maybe we are going to use Patton, lloyd, and Ellington as the 3rd WR in 3 WR sets and Stevie Johnson is going to be used to give Boldin and Crabtree breaks.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Damn, please update the title of this thread to "Stevie Johnson is a Niner!" or something because every time I come here and see the title I always read it as "Niners traded Stevie Johnson" and my heart skips a beat. There are other threads like this as well.

I absolutely agree!

Either we are both dyslexic, or we are both simply logical. Either way, I second a thread name change!
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
If they get rid of a WR it should be Lloyd's slow ass he cant separate himself from any defender even if his life depended on him, Plus he's not even healthy right now, save a roster spot for someone that will actually make a difference.Stevie is still on a learning curb im sure by mid season he'll making big plays when we need him.

funny, I saw Lloyd separate himself from Talib quite effortlessly a sunday ago

I also saw him separate himself from Cully so much in 2012 he went off for almost 200 yards receiving
Originally posted by thl408:
I hope you are right, but one telling sign was how Patton received the majority of the snaps with the 1s versus SD, which was preceded by Maiocco stating SJ was on the bubble. If there are timing issues with SJ and Kap, shouldn't SJ be in there to work it out? I don't know what to think anymore. The better WR will earn the snaps given to them.

I'll admit it is a bit odd but I just think jim doesn't look at the preseason games as being anything different (meaning in his mind, the third game is not a "dress rehearsal"). In fact, aikman and joe buck alluded to this in the broadcast.
We don't cut Johnson this year, not at his salary of 3 millionish, but next year He'd be gone at $6 million salary.
f**k Maiocco, his speculation is going to cause some b******t national story. That's how the Harbaugh and Baalke rift started, because of Kawakami speculating on something.
He will be fine... He is playing catch up
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
He will be fine... He is playing catch up

This. He's playing in an entirely new offense. If he comes on strong later on in the season, 49ers will be fine. No way do I see him being cut however.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
We can't cut him. The seahawks will pick him up. Maybe we are going to use Patton, lloyd, and Ellington as the 3rd WR in 3 WR sets and Stevie Johnson is going to be used to give Boldin and Crabtree breaks.

NIners would be crazy to cut SJ, They are not cutting SJ. He'll come back to haunt them mark my words.

I think Patton got playing time with the 1's just to get time in. I'm not thinking much more than that. The niners have one of the deepest most talented WR core in the league and to cut any of that talent would not make sense especially if they may need to depend on that passing game this season.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
We don't cut Johnson this year, not at his salary of 3 millionish, but next year He'd be gone at $6 million salary.

If Gabbert isn't going to be cut at $2 million, no way in hell SJ would be cut at $3 million. If everything works out for SJ, I can see an extension/restructuring. SJ is a bay area guy so may even give a hometown discount as well. None of us know yet if Crabs is back or not either.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:

If Gabbert isn't going to be cut at $2 million, no way in hell SJ would be cut at $3 million. If everything works out for SJ, I can see an extension/restructuring. SJ is a bay area guy so may even give a hometown discount as well. None of us know yet if Crabs is back or not either.
Originally posted by Baldie:
NIners would be crazy to cut SJ, They are not cutting SJ. He'll come back to haunt them mark my words.

I think Patton got playing time with the 1's just to get time in. I'm not thinking much more than that. The niners have one of the deepest most talented WR core in the league and to cut any of that talent would not make sense especially if they may need to depend on that passing game this season.

I think Patton has a better grasp of the offense right now. Over time, Johnson will get more comfortable and he'll be essential against teams with deep secondaries such as Seattle and Arizona.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM ]
Much ado about nothing. Seems like they were just giving Patton a chance to start for all the hard work he has been doing this offseason. Johnson will not get cut... MM lost some respect in my eyes after all offseason we here how Johnson is looking good but for the purposes of one article contradicts that to make a story. We should expect better than that from MM.
I think the whole QB/WR timing thing is a bunch of crap. There are plenty of rookies that come in and produce and way more than a hand full of veterans. Kap and Steve are two vets. There is no excuse. It's either the scheme, Stevie or Kap. I'm leaning towards scheme, just because Stevie deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's had 3 thousand yard seasons with scrub QBs. WR come to SF and die. Straight up.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
trade for him, never use him.

#Romaning
Share 49ersWebzone