LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
He will be #3, I think MM is basing it on assumption because SJ haven't click with Kap. SJ got skills and everyone in that FO knows that, that's why they invested a 4th on him. Doubt he'll get cut or take a pay cut..if there's a person who should talked about paycut or A spot in the team it should be Gabbert.

Agreed! Gabbert should take a pay cut just like Colt did last year
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm thinking the opposite. Lots of passes to Brandon Lloyd in the last preseason game, made me think they aren't seeing enough out of Lloyd in practice. Giving him more opportunities before deciding on a cut.

They know enough about Stevie to not have to throw him a bunch of balls during a preseason game.

Kap himself did say Stevie was doing a fine job and this is the 1st I've heard of Lloyd bumping Johnson. I can see the logic but recent productivity and film study says otherwise. I have pointed out that I don't think Kap and Stevie aren't the most natural of fits but that they can help each other develop parts of their games that need developing. Once Kap gets timing and instinct in sync with Johnson they should be deadly with Crab VD and Boldin on the field. I have faith because Kap had to get in sync with Boldin as well and he made it happen in short order

And there it is in essence. Stevie is a very instinctual receiver who ad libs depending on the coverage quite a bit. It takes some time to get in sync with that style of player.
Originally posted by WINiner:
And there it is in essence. Stevie is a very instinctual receiver who ad libs depending on the coverage quite a bit. It takes some time to get in sync with that style of player.

Yep!
Patton, not Stevie Johnson got the first crack as #3 WR, both QP and Ellington played more than Johnson and Lloyd didn't play at all. I'm starting to think the 49ers will release Lloyd & resign him early in the year since his contract states that if he makes the 53, his contract is guaranteed. As for Johnson, I love the potential of having 3 WRs w/1,000 yard seasons on their resume, I like SJ but we maybe seeing the team leaning toward the younger guys and saving his contract $$ for others.

Just for the record, I hope we keep Johnson, I'm just wondering if the signs are pointing towards him not making the team.
  • thl408
Originally posted by matt49er:
Patton, not Stevie Johnson got the first crack as #3 WR, both QP and Ellington played more than Johnson and Lloyd didn't play at all. I'm starting to think the 49ers will release Lloyd & resign him early in the year since his contract states that if he makes the 53, his contract is guaranteed. As for Johnson, I love the potential of having 3 WRs w/1,000 yard seasons on their resume, I like SJ but we maybe seeing the team leaning toward the younger guys and saving his contract $$ for others.

Just for the record, I hope we keep Johnson, I'm just wondering if the signs are pointing towards him not making the team.

All the talk about SJ not making the team, or losing out to Patton, is tripping me out. I feel as though he can immensely help this passing attack, but hearing all this talk is giving me some doubt. If there is any bad chemistry between him and Kap with regards to timing on the field, work it out - fast. I can see his salary being an issue next season, but this year, if they cut him, what would they do with the money saved? There's no one to sign or trade for.
If they get rid of a WR it should be Lloyd's slow ass he cant separate himself from any defender even if his life depended on him, Plus he's not even healthy right now, save a roster spot for someone that will actually make a difference.Stevie is still on a learning curb im sure by mid season he'll making big plays when we need him.
Originally posted by thl408:
All the talk about SJ not making the team, or losing out to Patton, is tripping me out. I feel as though he can immensely help this passing attack, but hearing all this talk is giving me some doubt. If there is any bad chemistry between him and Kap with regards to timing on the field, work it out - fast. I can see his salary being an issue next season, but this year, if they cut him, what would they do with the money saved? There's no one to sign or trade for.

I think Johnson makes the roster but I think the #3 spot won't be locked down by any one receiver, there will be plenty of rotation between Johnson, Patton and Ellington, depending on the situation and the defense they are facing...etc.
Damn, please update the title of this thread to "Stevie Johnson is a Niner!" or something because every time I come here and see the title I always read it as "Niners traded Stevie Johnson" and my heart skips a beat. There are other threads like this as well.

Love the trade. When does he get here?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Love the trade. When does he get here?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think Johnson makes the roster but I think the #3 spot won't be locked down by any one receiver, there will be plenty of rotation between Johnson, Patton and Ellington, depending on the situation and the defense they are facing...etc.
This has been my belief too. In fact, Roman sort of confirmed this in his interview the other day when he said, "we don't put numbers on our receivers." However, in addition to what you're saying, I think that Lloyd will make the team as well. Lloyd could be a situational deep threat, Stevie Johnson will see rotational action as a slot receiver, Ellington will primarily serve as a backup / special teams contributor (with maybe a couple of gadget plays mixed in here and there), and Patton may be inactive and a primary backup.

I think the important thing to remember is that, even if the depth seems excessive, we're very unlikely to go through the entire season without some of our starting wideouts missing some time. As we've seen the last few years, when we're forced to rely on the free agent / practice squad types as replacements, they have been utterly worthless and completely inept. The front office does not want to get caught with their pants down again if/when an injury occurs... I'm putting my money on 6 receivers.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM ]

I'm still sticking to my guns. There is no way they gave up what they gave up and control his salary for 3 years at a reasonable rate without giving him an opportunity in regular season games.

Jim as a coach is just different in his approach to the preseason, I think very little can be read into to their handling of players based on preseason games.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I am either overestimating SJ or underestimating Patton (and I like Patton). The scenario you proposed sounds very reasonable. When SJ was first acquired, I thought he would grab that #3 WR spot by the horns. I hope that the uncertainty of the #3 WR spot is more on Patton having a nice uptick in development and not because SJ hasn't been able to integrate himself into the offense.

SJ stated that the playbook looked like a foreign language to him when he first came to SF. Then Roman said they reduced the verbiage of the playbook, I'm assuming, to help with the newcomers like SJ. Could it be that SJ is not absorbing the playbook as well as the coaches would like?
I am either overestimating SJ or underestimating Patton (and I like Patton). The scenario you proposed sounds very reasonable. When SJ was first acquired, I thought he would grab that #3 WR spot by the horns. I hope that the uncertainty of the #3 WR spot is more on Patton having a nice uptick in development and not because SJ hasn't been able to integrate himself into the offense.

SJ stated that the playbook looked like a foreign language to him when he first came to SF. Then Roman said they reduced the verbiage of the playbook, I'm assuming, to help with the newcomers like SJ. Could it be that SJ is not absorbing the playbook as well as the coaches would like?

It's a mixture of playbook digestion and him unable to handle Kaep's heat seeking missles.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

I'm still sticking to my guns. There is no way they gave up what they gave up and control his salary for 3 years at a reasonable rate without giving him an opportunity in regular season games.

Jim as a coach is just different in his approach to the preseason, I think very little can be read into to their handling of players based on preseason games.

I hope you are right, but one telling sign was how Patton received the majority of the snaps with the 1s versus SD, which was preceded by Maiocco stating SJ was on the bubble. If there are timing issues with SJ and Kap, shouldn't SJ be in there to work it out? I don't know what to think anymore. The better WR will earn the snaps given to them.
Share 49ersWebzone