LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Baldie:
Beat me to it. Yeah I just read that article to and was a bit concerned. If Johnson doesn't make that #3 WR, that would be a dissapointment. Everything that I've read to date and seen on Comcast Sportsnet that Johnson was doing well. Cohen states of 28 passes thrown, he's only caught 13 and dropped 4. But who's been throwing him those passes? Couldn't be all Kaep. If it was then I'd be really concerned but Cohen doesn't state that. Some info was missing from his article for me to believe all of it. He said Ward is also not doing well, but I've read otherwise at times.

The sooner that you accept that both Cohn's are merely professional trolls and clickbaiters, the better off you will be. I'm not passing any judgments based on third hand reporting of what happened at practice. The preseason games will pretty much speak for themselves in terms of where guys are at.

agree!
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Yes, take anything the Cohns report with a grain of salt. You'll have read all sorts of reports and out of nowhere, the Cohns will report something completely left and not consistently with anything previously reported. Everything I've read about Stevie at this point is that he's been solid but Cohn claims he's in danger of losing #3 to Patton.

In a way, I hope that is true, but only due to Patton being outstanding and not because Johnson is struggling. I want to see both guys playing out of their minds and pushing each other.

That would be a positive narrative but Cohn's made it sound like Stevie is a complete bum who's doing an atrocious job and that is the first I've ever heard of Stevie struggling. So I'm not sure what to believe.
Cohn had a point though when he said Patton not Johnson replaced Crabtree in the lineup.
Yes, take anything the Cohns report with a grain of salt. You'll have read all sorts of reports and out of nowhere, the Cohns will report something completely left and not consistently with anything previously reported. Everything I've read about Stevie at this point is that he's been solid but Cohn claims he's in danger of losing #3 to Patton.

In a way, I hope that is true, but only due to Patton being outstanding and not because Johnson is struggling. I want to see both guys playing out of their minds and pushing each other.

Johnson is still struggle? Are you sure? Do u have any proof? Where did u get to heard from?
  • thl408
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Cohn had a point though when he said Patton not Johnson replaced Crabtree in the lineup.

I wouldn't read too much into that. SJ needs to stay in his role/position to learn the new offense. Patton is most likely going to be the first guy off the bench if any of the big 3 (Crabs/Boldin/SJ) goes down. I am saying this on the assumption that SJ will take the #3WR spot.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Johnson is still struggle? Are you sure? Do u have any proof? Where did u get to heard from?

Outside of Cohn's article, I haven't seen anything to suggest Stevie is struggling. No fireworks (expected, still learning the offense and building chemistry with Kap) but still solid.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I know Cohn basically makes a career out of being a negative ass...but he just posted an article talking about how Stevie is having a horrible camp. From what I have read it didnt seem that way...I mean I dont hear about how he is tearing it up, but I hadn't heard anything negative at all until now...anbody have some insight?

That is a bunch of crap. both MM and MB both said Johnson is having a fine camp. He has been a bit quiet but solid, but not bad by any means. Cohn has his head so far up his own ass i am not sure how he even is able to type any of his "observations".
Come to think of it I haven't heard much about Stevie at camp. Only thing i seen was him mic'd up. But I don't recall reading anything positive or negative about him. doing much at camp. But it was telling that Patton was the starting wr over Johnson when Crabs went down. Maybe he's not a great practice player. .
Originally posted by thl408:
I wouldn't read too much into that. SJ needs to stay in his role/position to learn the new offense. Patton is most likely going to be the first guy off the bench if any of the big 3 (Crabs/Boldin/SJ) goes down. I am saying this on the assumption that SJ will take the #3WR spot.

Correct.
Don't look to much into that fellas. Ofcourse patton stepped in when Crabtree went down they are both our Z receivers. Johnson and Ellington are our slot receiver Y. Boldin is X on the other side. Patton filled in because he was next in line at the Z spot. Have some faith in SJ my brothas he's gonna be a good for when he's clicking with Kap

I have actually read to the contrary. At least two articles I have read said he was one of the bright spots...It's another Cohn. Not sure the guy knows what he's even looking at practice.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Come to think of it I haven't heard much about Stevie at camp. Only thing i seen was him mic'd up. But I don't recall reading anything positive or negative about him. doing much at camp. But it was telling that Patton was the starting wr over Johnson when Crabs went down. Maybe he's not a great practice player. .
  • thl408
Originally posted by barrymartin:
I have actually read to the contrary. At least two articles I have read said he was one of the bright spots...It's another Cohn. Not sure the guy knows what he's even looking at practice.

Agreed. I would rather have a football mind cover training camp than a writer. I don't care how articulate the person giving training camp updates is, I care if he knows what he's looking at. There is so much context being left out in these training camp updates that it gives us (fans) so much room to interpret it the way we want.

Oh Ellington is ballin! Wait, does that mean the secondary is sucking ass?
Oh, more INTs for the secondary! Wait, does that mean Kap is sucking ass?

These training camp updates from MM, CInman, Cohn etc. need more context.
Agreed. I would rather have a football mind cover training camp than a writer. I don't care how articulate the person giving training camp updates is, I care if he knows what he's looking at. There is so much context being left out in these training camp updates that it gives us (fans) so much room to interpret it the way we want.

Oh Ellington is ballin! Wait, does that mean the secondary is sucking ass?
Oh, more INTs for the secondary! Wait, does that mean Kap is sucking ass?

These training camp updates from MM, CInman, Cohn etc. need more context.

Cohn is terrible, as a team we seem to lead the league in crappy sport writers. This seems like more of cohn's style. He knows niner fans are excited about the SJ addition so of course he gonna spin it anyway that puts SJ in a bad light or not performing to expectations.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
Beat me to it. Yeah I just read that article to and was a bit concerned. If Johnson doesn't make that #3 WR, that would be a dissapointment. Everything that I've read to date and seen on Comcast Sportsnet that Johnson was doing well. Cohen states of 28 passes thrown, he's only caught 13 and dropped 4. But who's been throwing him those passes? Couldn't be all Kaep. If it was then I'd be really concerned but Cohen doesn't state that. Some info was missing from his article for me to believe all of it. He said Ward is also not doing well, but I've read otherwise at times.

He does state that. He is speaking of all quarterbacks combined.

@grantcohn "Quarterbacks have thrown Johnson's way 28 times in team drills. Johnson has caught 13 passes and dropped four"

The sooner that you accept that both Cohn's are merely professional trolls and clickbaiters, the better off you will be. I'm not passing any judgments based on third hand reporting of what happened at practice. The preseason games will pretty much speak for themselves in terms of where guys are at.

If would not say that he is a professional troll but have you have a point with calling him clickbaiter. There are some good things in his reports but it should be taken with a grain of salt. Similar to Nolan Nawrocki´s scouting reports.

It´s Training Camp. Players on both sides of the ball are making plays.

The difference between, for example, Maiocco and Cohn is that Maicco tries to highlight the positive things wherever possible and Cohn is on the hunt for the things that still need some work.

From all the reports out there, Johnson has his up and downs but a solid camp so far.

This.
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
Cohn is terrible, as a team we seem to lead the league in crappy sport writers. This seems like more of cohn's style. He knows niner fans are excited about the SJ addition so of course he gonna spin it anyway that puts SJ in a bad light or not performing to expectations.

Thank goodness for Bill Williamson/espn!
Share 49ersWebzone