There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stevie Johnson Thread

Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't see ANY possibility that Lloyd ends up above Stevie Johnson on the depth chart.



Ok. Tell me who is #3WR Johnson or Patton or Ellington or Lloyd?

The one with three 1,000 yard seasons and a history of doing well against top flight CB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655110-why-stevie-johnson-is-even-better-than-you-think
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't see ANY possibility that Lloyd ends up above Stevie Johnson on the depth chart.



Ok. Tell me who is #3WR Johnson or Patton or Ellington or Lloyd?

The one with three 1,000 yard seasons and a history of doing well against top flight CB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655110-why-stevie-johnson-is-even-better-than-you-think



Wow. Thank you. JOHNSON can beat to Sherman and revis? Wow.. I am exciting to watch him in preseason and regular season. .
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 4,430
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
So, after day one of camp, can we ask the most important question of the offseason?
Can Stevie block in the run game?

With Spiller and Jackson forming a nice RB tandem, no team ran the ball more often than BUF last season. It was easy to get a gauge for how well SJ run blocked. In a word, I'd call his blocking average. On many of the plays I watched, he showed a willingness to get into position on the DB, placing himself properly between the DB and where the running play was going. He has adequate strength to not get tossed aside.

He was not what I call 'extra physical' with the DB the way Crabs and (especially) Boldin is. Crabs and Boldin will get into position and, more often than not, initiate the contact with their targeted block, especially Boldin. SJ will get proper positioning then wait for the DB to come to him. He basically 'gets in the way', as opposed to hit and attempt to physically dominate the way Boldin does. I don't know if that's what BUF WRs were coached to do or what. SJ does not easily lose positioning on his targeted block, but neither does he sustain blocks the way Boldin/Crabs does. I know I am comparing him to Boldin, who I have very high regards for as a run blocker, so it may be a bit unfair. I feel run blocking among the WRs on a team is contagious. Once he sees how much pride Crabs and Boldin put into their run blocking, he will learn that every 49er WR must run block. I think SJ will do fine and will not be a liability in the run game as a blocker.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
So, after day one of camp, can we ask the most important question of the offseason?
Can Stevie block in the run game?

With Spiller and Jackson forming a nice RB tandem, no team ran the ball more often than BUF last season. It was easy to get a gauge for how well SJ run blocked. In a word, I'd call his blocking average. On many of the plays I watched, he showed a willingness to get into position on the DB, placing himself properly between the DB and where the running play was going. He has adequate strength to not get tossed aside.

He was not what I call 'extra physical' with the DB the way Crabs and (especially) Boldin is. Crabs and Boldin will get into position and, more often than not, initiate the contact with their targeted block, especially Boldin. SJ will get proper positioning then wait for the DB to come to him. He basically 'gets in the way', as opposed to hit and attempt to physically dominate the way Boldin does. I don't know if that's what BUF WRs were coached to do or what. SJ does not easily lose positioning on his targeted block, but neither does he sustain blocks the way Boldin/Crabs does. I know I am comparing him to Boldin, who I have very high regards for as a run blocker, so it may be a bit unfair. I feel run blocking among the WRs on a team is contagious. Once he sees how much pride Crabs and Boldin put into their run blocking, he will learn that every 49er WR must run block. I think SJ will do fine and will not be a liability in the run game as a blocker.

Thank you th! ^^^
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
So, after day one of camp, can we ask the most important question of the offseason?
Can Stevie block in the run game?

With Spiller and Jackson forming a nice RB tandem, no team ran the ball more often than BUF last season. It was easy to get a gauge for how well SJ run blocked. In a word, I'd call his blocking average. On many of the plays I watched, he showed a willingness to get into position on the DB, placing himself properly between the DB and where the running play was going. He has adequate strength to not get tossed aside.

He was not what I call 'extra physical' with the DB the way Crabs and (especially) Boldin is. Crabs and Boldin will get into position and, more often than not, initiate the contact with their targeted block, especially Boldin. SJ will get proper positioning then wait for the DB to come to him. He basically 'gets in the way', as opposed to hit and attempt to physically dominate the way Boldin does. I don't know if that's what BUF WRs were coached to do or what. SJ does not easily lose positioning on his targeted block, but neither does he sustain blocks the way Boldin/Crabs does. I know I am comparing him to Boldin, who I have very high regards for as a run blocker, so it may be a bit unfair. I feel run blocking among the WRs on a team is contagious. Once he sees how much pride Crabs and Boldin put into their run blocking, he will learn that every 49er WR must run block. I think SJ will do fine and will not be a liability in the run game as a blocker.

Thank you th! ^^^

This. Good post.
Stevie ads to a bolstered WR crew this year. It feels sorta like 94 where it feels we will dominate teams. Our d is already elite. Now our offense is catching up.

Boldin, crabs, stevie, vd, gore, kap.

That is a lot to deal with.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Stevie ads to a bolstered WR crew this year. It feels sorta like 94 where it feels we will dominate teams. Our d is already elite. Now our offense is catching up.

Boldin, crabs, stevie, vd, gore, kap.

That is a lot to deal with.

not when the play calling sucks, that needs to improve
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Stevie ads to a bolstered WR crew this year. It feels sorta like 94 where it feels we will dominate teams. Our d is already elite. Now our offense is catching up.

Boldin, crabs, stevie, vd, gore, kap.

That is a lot to deal with.

not when the play calling sucks, that needs to improve

Well the hope is that with more weapons, passing game will expand and play calling will improve. Barring injuries, no excuses for Roman (and Kap) to step up.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't see ANY possibility that Lloyd ends up above Stevie Johnson on the depth chart.



Ok. Tell me who is #3WR Johnson or Patton or Ellington or Lloyd?

The one with three 1,000 yard seasons and a history of doing well against top flight CB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655110-why-stevie-johnson-is-even-better-than-you-think




I knew Lloyd looked better now than past years. I need him because he has pretty good too speed. I hope if LLoyd can possible beat the tough to Seahawks's defense.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/29/6591487/49ers-wr-brandon-lloyd-returns.html
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:15 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't see ANY possibility that Lloyd ends up above Stevie Johnson on the depth chart.



Ok. Tell me who is #3WR Johnson or Patton or Ellington or Lloyd?

The one with three 1,000 yard seasons and a history of doing well against top flight CB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655110-why-stevie-johnson-is-even-better-than-you-think

He always manages to get open. That's a great combination to have with Kap's ability to extend plays by scrambling around. I can't wait to see Stevie sneak behind the defense when they're busy looking at the QB
i think itll be crabs and stevie starting by the years end or atleast featured the most, with boldin moving the chains and roughing up the 3rd CB all year long. johnson and crabs are in their prime and are both monster receivers. boldin will still get his yards but i think we will feature the young guns a little more than him to save him for the playoffs where his veteran leadership and clutch play will pay off the most. heres to the scariest 4 headed monster in the league featuring the 3 beasts out wide and VD manhandling people and hurdling ghosts everywhere else! lol
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,522
Greg Roman

"We're excited to have him with us because he's a big, physical guy. I don't want to give other team's scouting reports for them but he's a big, big guy that's really quick and you don't really see that very often. And he's a competitive guy, and plays the game with a great deal of energy and wants to make plays."
Originally posted by DeUh:
Greg Roman

"We're excited to have him with us because he's a big, physical guy. I don't want to give other team's scouting reports for them but he's a big, big guy that's really quick and you don't really see that very often. And he's a competitive guy, and plays the game with a great deal of energy and wants to make plays."

Roman will put Stevie in as part of the jumbo package at the goal line. Other teams just can't scout that s**t
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Roman will put Stevie in as part of the jumbo package at the goal line. Other teams just can't scout that s**t

He'll be blocking for Frank Gore while Bruce Miller goes out wide.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Roman will put Stevie in as part of the jumbo package at the goal line. Other teams just can't scout that s**t

He'll be blocking for Frank Gore while Bruce Miller goes out wide.

Ish ain't funny probably gonna happen