LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

• LVJay
  • Veteran
^^ lol, man Cawk suckers can't get enough of us / the Zone
Originally posted by teylo31:
I dont know why everyone is knocking Lloyd. The guy has a resume. To be honest im more interested in how come nobody is talking about Patton. The guy has done nothing for this team and was not a high draft pick to justify keeping him on the roster of he gets beat out by Lloyd. If Lloyd proves he can play then he might take Pattons spot. Don't be surprised. If we keep 6 WRs we are basically just keeping the 6 we go into camp with and really no competition. However if Lloyd makes the roster could put Patton on the bubble for Osgood(as a ST with a WR designation) I wouldnt like cutting Patton for 2 older veterans but Patton has done nothing to think he is a lock

Thank god your not our GM, you don't cut basically a rookie who is on a cheap contract for 3 more years for a old vet that didn't even play football last year! You need to think for the future and Lloyd is not the future Patton, Ellington, and hopefully Crabs are the future. When Patton has been on the field he has made some good plays and has a bright future with the team.

I love how everyone thinks Lloyd will make the team it was OTA's where all WR's look good without pads. Crab, Boldin, and Johnson only took a couple snaps which left Lloyd an a bunch of rookies to get catches. When your further down on the depth chart you need special team value which Lloyd doesn't have.
Originally posted by teylo31:
I dont know why everyone is knocking Lloyd. The guy has a resume. To be honest im more interested in how come nobody is talking about Patton. The guy has done nothing for this team and was not a high draft pick to justify keeping him on the roster of he gets beat out by Lloyd. If Lloyd proves he can play then he might take Pattons spot. Don't be surprised. If we keep 6 WRs we are basically just keeping the 6 we go into camp with and really no competition. However if Lloyd makes the roster could put Patton on the bubble for Osgood(as a ST with a WR designation) I wouldnt like cutting Patton for 2 older veterans but Patton has done nothing to think he is a lock

Because Lloyd is in his 30s, a year out of football and has had one very good season in his entire career while Patton is 23, was injured for nearly his entire rookie season and still made some big catches down the stretch. Having spent a large chunk of the offseason working out with Kaepernick will only help Patton, especially because unlike Lockette, Patton can actually run quality routes and hang on to the football.

Patton and Ellington are basically the future of the WR's on this team along with potentially Johnson.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
Wally, "the fly in the ointment is if Roman really uses the attacking passing game". My thoughts exactly. Stevie is useless if he isn't used. It would be a shame to make a steal like that, at Slot of all places, where we desperately most needed a game changer. Well, trent got us one, but he can't make roman use him.

Aside from Roman's inability to capitalize on RZ and Goal line playcalls, not using Stevie to dismantle another team falls into the same category. We can always hope Roman has turned over a new leaf, but this is the most interesting thing for me going into the season. Will roman actually use the pieces he has or does he revert to Frank and a cloud of dust? I'm keeping an open mind at this point, and hoping roman does the right thing. We aren't beating SEA without a strong passing game, to open up our running game. Kap now has 4 pro bowlers to throw to, 3 WRs and one TE. If they aren't used, then THAT would be grounds for JH schidt canning roman.

As Wally says, "the fly in the ointment..."
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't think I've ever said it before, but I'm pretty damn excited about Stevie Johnson. Two things I can't believe about him, one - is that he fell all the way down to the 7th round. Two - I can't believe Baalke stole him from Buffalo!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't think I've ever said it before, but I'm pretty damn excited about Stevie Johnson. Two things I can't believe about him, one - is that he fell all the way down to the 7th round. Two - I can't believe Baalke stole him from Buffalo!!!

The other receivers can certainly learn from him when it comes to beating out press coverage. He's handled it very well throughout his career thus far.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wally, "the fly in the ointment is if Roman really uses the attacking passing game". My thoughts exactly. Stevie is useless if he isn't used. It would be a shame to make a steal like that, at Slot of all places, where we desperately most needed a game changer. Well, trent got us one, but he can't make roman use him.

Aside from Roman's inability to capitalize on RZ and Goal line playcalls, not using Stevie to dismantle another team falls into the same category. We can always hope Roman has turned over a new leaf, but this is the most interesting thing for me going into the season. Will roman actually use the pieces he has or does he revert to Frank and a cloud of dust? I'm keeping an open mind at this point, and hoping roman does the right thing. We aren't beating SEA without a strong passing game, to open up our running game. Kap now has 4 pro bowlers to throw to, 3 WRs and one TE. If they aren't used, then THAT would be grounds for JH schidt canning roman.

Thanks!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The other receivers can certainly learn from him when it comes to beating out press coverage. He's handled it very well throughout his career thus far.

No kidding!!!!

From all the Stevie Johnson vs. Richard Sherman highlights I'd have to agree. He's one of the only receivers to beat Sherman and Revis for TD's, I don't think Boldin and Crabtree can say that. I'd even be content if the starting receivers were Johnson, Patton and Ellington, that would still be better than what the 9ers had in the Super Bowl.
No kidding!!!!

From all the Stevie Johnson vs. Richard Sherman highlights I'd have to agree. He's one of the only receivers to beat Sherman and Revis for TD's, I don't think Boldin and Crabtree can say that. I'd even be content if the starting receivers were Johnson, Patton and Ellington, that would still be better than what the 9ers had in the Super Bowl.

Now wait. We had the 2012 Crabtree Moss Delanie Walker and VD. That's three field stretchers and an elite possession WR with tremendous YAC in Crabtree. I need to see more from QP and BE before going there
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Personally I think we lost the NFC CG because we couldn't run it with Miller out, Iupati injured, and Goodwin ' s performance tanking in the playoffs. If our runs were more productive, I bet our passing game would have been the winning difference in that game.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No kidding!!!!

Now wait. We had the 2012 Crabtree Moss Delanie Walker and VD. That's three field stretchers and an elite possession WR with tremendous YAC in Crabtree. I need to see more from QP and BE before going there

I have to agree. 2012 was an offense that had one of our better receiving squads with deep speed. Delanie, Moss , and VD. With stevie I think the thought is instead of stretching the defense vertically, they will stretch it horizontally. Will they employ more WCO concepts instead of more Coryell vertical concepts? Maybe. I think the WCO fits with our WR talent set than the Coryell concepts. One reason is just not enough speed on the outside.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally I think we lost the NFC CG because we couldn't run it with Miller out, Iupati injured, and Goodwin ' s performance tanking in the playoffs. If our runs were more productive, I bet our passing game would have been the winning difference in that game.

This is true, but injuries happen and the championship caliber teams can handle the injuries, whether its depth or reinventing themselves. We lost miller before the playoffs and Goodwin was tanking for awhile. The kicker was Iupati... His loss negated any inside running advantage.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No kidding!!!!

I was actually talking about receivers only. Moss was alright, not really much after the catch. Delanie I didn't think too much of, he had a ton of drops, s**t was frustrating.

So Crabtree, Moss and Ted Ginn.

With SJ, Patton and Ellington, you're putting much more speed, quickness and RAC on the field. Not to mention age.
I was actually talking about receivers only. Moss was alright, not really much after the catch. Delanie I didn't think too much of, he had a ton of drops, s**t was frustrating.

So Crabtree, Moss and Ted Ginn.

With SJ, Patton and Ellington, you're putting much more speed, quickness and RAC on the field. Not to mention age.

I hope so but I ain't for losing Crabtree at all. I didn't like how we looked last year without him
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because Lloyd is in his 30s, a year out of football and has had one very good season in his entire career ...
I think that's selling him short.

He put up 1448 yards / 11 TDs in 2010 with the Broncos -- this is what I presume you're referring to as his "one very good" season. However, he followed that up with:
- 966 yards / 5 TDs with the Rams/Broncos in 2011, and
- 911 yards / 4 TDs in 2012 with the Patriots.

Maybe his 2011 / 2012 seasons aren't "very good", but they're still very respectable. By comparison...
...since 2010, Boldin has averaged 956 yards receiving / 5 TDs a year.
...since 2010 (but excluding his injured 2013), Crabtree has averaged 907 yards / 6 TDs a year.

Now, I'm not saying that Lloyd is as good as Crabtree/Boldin. Lloyd's age, his poor reputation and the fact that he missed all of 2013 are certainly relevant. However, I do think you're overlooking what he accomplished after his season with Denver.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jul 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone