LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson Thread (signed with SD)

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I do not even know why this was even a competition. Stevie has had 3 1000 yard seasons with the crummy bills. He should have been given the starting job from crabs from the get go. This kid should have the ball thrown to him twice as much as crabs.

They weren't going to bring in a brand new guy and just hand him Crabs job. We don't work like that but SJ has definitely earned more looks. Just think about that with this coaching staff. We don't overpay FAs and we don't hand new guys old guys jobs unless they've taken it away from them
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM ]
This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite Niners. I want to see him on the field MUCH more following the bye.
Originally posted by prime21:
the only reason we gave into Crabtree's demands when he held out as a rookie was because we sucked. Now that we are a winning program, there are plenty of guys that would take a pay cut to have a chance at a super bowl ring and probably even put up better numbers than Crab. Lets face it, when he had his 1000 yard season we had no choice but to throw him the ball there was no one else to throw to except Vernon who doesn't have the best hands or route running ability. He was probably hoping we wouldn't throw the money at em so he could sign with the Cowgirls.

Please correct me if I'm wrong BUT we didn't give into his demands when he was a rookie.

He caved and came on board when we were winning w/out him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
the only reason we gave into Crabtree's demands when he held out as a rookie was because we sucked. Now that we are a winning program, there are plenty of guys that would take a pay cut to have a chance at a super bowl ring and probably even put up better numbers than Crab. Lets face it, when he had his 1000 yard season we had no choice but to throw him the ball there was no one else to throw to except Vernon who doesn't have the best hands or route running ability. He was probably hoping we wouldn't throw the money at em so he could sign with the Cowgirls.

Please correct me if I'm wrong BUT we didn't give into his demands when he was a rookie.

He caved and came on board when we were winning w/out him.

We were 4-0 we he signed, with the help from mc hammer

Not sure who caved but we were winning without him
we were not 4-0, we were 3-2 with wins against the 2009 rams, cardinals and seahawks who all suckeed. we lost to the falcons and Vikings. We reportedly paid him $8mill more than the original offer. He was willing to sit out the whole season and enter the 2010 draft.
we were not 4-0, we were 3-2 with wins against the 2009 rams, cardinals and seahawks who all suckeed. we lost to the falcons and Vikings. We reportedly paid him $8mill more than the original offer. He was willing to sit out the whole season and enter the 2010 draft.
He had to sign by the deadline because had he sat he was a 3rd rd pick at best. No sane team was going to draft a guy in the first two rounds that had sat out of football a year as a malcontent. He was bound to sign by the cutoff point. He would have been foolish to sit out the year. The additional money we added was to save face but it was fluff. We won that deal handily IMO
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite Niners. I want to see him on the field MUCH more following the bye.

ditto
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why trade him? He is still talented and did you really expect him to have #1 WR numbers with all that talent on the field? He is constantly going against the other teams best CB (depending on scheme) while SJ and Lloyd are not. If he leaves in FA SF will receive a good comp pick anyway. Just be happy that we have a plethora of good WRs on the team for once lol.

This is malarkey. To say Johnson and Lloyd are performing because they aren't being covered by the team's best DBs is really funny. Let's go back to the Kansas City game where Brandon Lloyd jumped over 6'3" Sean Smith, KC"s best DB, to make a clutch catch that turned the game around. The truth is that Crabtree is not a #1 WR which would put him in the same league as Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, etc. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but he lacks the explosion he once had since his return from Achilles surgery. He may never get all the way back as that injury is tough on a guy who has to rely upon speed and the ability to make sharp cuts.

As to putting up #1 WR numbers, they don't seem to be having a problem at Denver with all those good WRs. Crabtree has regressed and we need to address that issue. Stevie Johnson and Lloyd should be starting along with Boldin in a 3-WR setup.
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:49 AM ]
Have a feeling Stevie is gonna go off today

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Yea my gut is telling me that too...now I'm debating wether or not I should start Stevie or Pierre Garcon...
I can see Stevie replacing Crabs next year...

Boldin
Stevie
Patton
Ellington
Rookie/Vet*

and that's assuming Lloyd retires
If they keep giving Lloyd playing time, he'll continue to light it up and will be happy to return next season. He's in great shape and loves the game, plus he's been mentoring the rookie DBs. Great in the locker room -- big change from his first tour of duty with the Niners.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Yea my gut is telling me that too...now I'm debating wether or not I should start Stevie or Pierre Garcon...
I like Crabtree and Vernon today. I know Stevie is hot right now but I like their matchups better. People just like hating on Crabs and VD right now but they will correct their issues.
Both Stevie & Boldin are our ONLY true playmakers on offense sad thing both were players we traded for. So much for bringing up our own players.
Share 49ersWebzone