LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Grade your confidence level in the first round selection of CB/S Jimmie Ward

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade your confidence level in the first round selection of CB/S Jimmie Ward

Coach em up
This guy is going to be a stud at the nickel corner.
I
I trust Baalke, and we have been very good at identifying db talent so I remain very optimistic.
B. I'm very confident he will be an exceptional slot corner right off the bat, and has the skills to be a really good safety or outside corner.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM ]
C, he needs to put on another 10 pounds at least.
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
They said "in the LATER ROUNDS". There is a difference. Culliver is not above average just yet, and Brock is ascending. None of our later round DBS are qualified to be considered a "nail" just yet. BTW Goldson is not a product of this current regime. So that was a fail.

Brock was good enough to let 2 other db's go start and sign to a big contract...so maybe yea you're right that's not a nail
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
And furthermore, why are you disingenuously comparing the Aldon and Reid picks to this one as if they are on the same plane by throwing them in the "1st round" box. AJ Jenkins went in the first round too. So that has no bearing on wether or not that pick was a good one. Aldon fit the need of the team, Reid fit the need of the team that year. The need of the team is a press man corner (preferably big) that can accomodate the switch in philosophy.

If you weren't in so much of a rush to just type things and actually read what I wrote you would see the correlation. You even mentioned the correlation in your post. The exact connection was track record with 1st round draft picks offense vs defense.

so yes he was picked in the 1st round so he is in the 1st round box and aj jenkins was mentioned as well.

11' aldon pro bowl
12' jenkins bust
13' reid pro bowl
14 ward ?

follow?
  • Phil
  • Veteran
B. I'm fairly confident he fills a need and will be an impact player. And with the signing of Johnson the first round pick looks even better. We may go after a taller/bigger corner now in the second round. Ward should make it possible for a big corner to have an impact.
Heard greg cosell's breakdown on Jimmy Ward on KNBR, nothing but great things to say. I'm on the positive side, but still, we'll have to wait and see.
i wanted Ward in the 2nd all along, but he still a 49er!!! Dude can cover like a CB. Good man to man Safety, u just dont see that anymore. Baller!!, was fkn up Ohio St. by himself.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
i wanted Ward in the 2nd all along, but he still a 49er!!! Dude can cover like a CB. Good man to man Safety, u just dont see that anymore. Baller!!, was fkn up Ohio St. by himself.

This. In the webzone collaborative mock - I drafted him in the 2nd round and wrote that he should have a grade high enough to warrant the 30th pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I've got complete confidence of Ward, he's a football smart kid, good personality and a hard worker, everything else will fall into place.
B....I am never 100% confident in a draft pick. Things happen after all. But he is a great talent, with great attitude that fills an area of immediate need and projects to a bigger roll down the line. Great pick from a front office that doesn't just chase the big names.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
If you weren't in so much of a rush to just type things and actually read what I wrote you would see the correlation. You even mentioned the correlation in your post. The exact connection was track record with 1st round draft picks offense vs defense.

so yes he was picked in the 1st round so he is in the 1st round box and aj jenkins was mentioned as well.

11' aldon pro bowl
12' jenkins bust
13' reid pro bowl
14 ward ?

follow?

Don't waste your time arguing with him. He has this an irrational disdain for the FO and pretty much every move they make and he's desperately trying to grasp at straws to find a reason to hate this pick.

Ward's tape is excellent and he's proven that he can roll with the big boys. He's very legit. Coverage is top notch, one of the best ballhawks coming out of the draft, tough, physical, plays bigger than his size, very cerebral and intelligent player as well as versatile - he can play multiple positions in the secondary and fits our current need at nickel/slot CB and in the long term next to Reid at safety. What's not to like?

When it comes to defensive players, I fully trust Baalke and his staff. They have a great eye for defensive talent and the right guys to fit our system. I know Jimmie will succeed under Donatell and Fangio. So I grade my confidence in this pick as B. And Jimmie certainly has the potential become a stud in this league.
I'll be honest this guy looks good.
Share 49ersWebzone