There are 175 users in the forums

Grade your confidence level in the first round selection of CB/S Jimmie Ward

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade your confidence level in the first round selection of CB/S Jimmie Ward

If you had to grade your confidence level in the selection of Jimmie Ward, what would you grade it? I tend to trust Harbaalke when it comes to their selections in the first round. Also heard quite a bit of talk about how Ward was the best cover safety in the draft leading up to the draft.

I'm just a little hesitant because we're drafting him initially to be our nickel corner. It surprises me that we didn't try and make a play for a guy like Varrett. Did we have the safety Ward ranked ahead of Varrett as a nickel corner? Or did we prefer Ward because he has more versatility and can be our future safety? Just interesting that we draft a safety to play nickel in round 1, even though he has had plenty of experience there. Also why am I worried that this pick feels similar to AJ Jenkins for some stupid reasons. Both on the skinnier side with limited reps on the bench and both from an Illinois school. Both surprising picks. Ward however was at least projected around this spot though.

All in all, my concerns are only minor and I would grade my confidence a B. I'm fairly confident he's going to be a good player for us. I think he can be a very good cover safety. It will be interesting how he handles the nickel position though initially.
I think Varrett would've been our pick had he fallen to us but I'm guessing there is no use trading up for a few spots up and give up a couple of 2nd and thirds when there are talented first round talent players later on. I don't think Ward will be a star but I do think he will be a solid safety for years to come.
If it was any other GM, I'd go with a C, but it's Baalke
Its hard to doubt the scouting department since they have nailed DBs in later round, give them free reign on the top talent and you would assume the success to continue.

IMO its hard to see why so many are critical of this pick just because he didnt win the pre-draft popularity contest. He has experience at CB and S, led his team in tackles the past two years while racking up some of the top stats in interceptions and pass break ups in the nation. He ran a 4.47 with a bad foot, and he instincts and speed jump out at you on film. The negativity seems to stem from this guy not being mentioned enough when posters were developing draft crushes imho, not from his play.
A++ with a scented apple pie sticker.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I think Varrett would've been our pick had he fallen to us but I'm guessing there is no use trading up for a few spots up and give up a couple of 2nd and thirds when there are talented first round talent players later on. I don't think Ward will be a star but I do think he will be a solid safety for years to come.

Even if Verrett fell to 30 i still don't think they pick him Baalke would just see his height and not his skill and pass on him.
Only reasons people are doubting him is because he is not a "big" DB but, from his highlights, the guy plays pretty big.
  • dj43
I like the pick. Solid, potential Pro Bowl thought not in the "stud" range.
  • thl408
I like the skillset that Baalke drafted for. My only concern is that he's from a small school, but not everyone can play in the SEC.
On Paper, its an A grade.

How that grade actually translates is up to Ward and the coaching staff.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
I like the depth he brings to a depleted secondary. I'm still wanting that true cover/press corner to compete with Cully and brock. Also looking forward to who they get as a speedy WR.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Watching his highlights last night this guy looks like a baller all around. Looks great in coverage, he's a ballhawk, and solid tackler.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
A. great short term and wonderful long term player for us.the ones who hate him are probably those who wanted to turn bowman into the lost and found department when we drafted him
Originally posted by 5280High:
Its hard to doubt the scouting department since they have nailed DBs in later round, give them free reign on the top talent and you would assume the success to continue.

IMO its hard to see why so many are critical of this pick just because he didnt win the pre-draft popularity contest. He has experience at CB and S, led his team in tackles the past two years while racking up some of the top stats in interceptions and pass break ups in the nation. He ran a 4.47 with a bad foot, and he instincts and speed jump out at you on film. The negativity seems to stem from this guy not being mentioned enough when posters were developing draft crushes imho, not from his play.

What DBS have they "nailed" in the later rounds? Our fans ride along with just about anything.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I like the depth he brings to a depleted secondary. I'm still wanting that true cover/press corner to compete with Cully and brock. Also looking forward to who they get as a speedy WR.

Thank you Giedi!!! If we are tweaking our philosophy on coverage to more press man, then by process of elimination WE MADE THE WRONG SELECTION.
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on May 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone