There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke realized why we came in 2nd three years in a row: Deep coverage issues

2011 playoffs: Giants game and 4th quarter of Saints game, secondary got torched deep

2012 playoffs and Superbowl: secondary got torched deep by GB, ATL, BALT

2013 playoffs: secondary got torched deep by a struggling Russell Wilson going into the game.

Goodbye Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, Dashon Goldson

Hello Eric Reid, Jimmie Ward. Our safety position is taken care of for the next decade.

Great pick!!
[ Edited by kronik on May 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM ]
You got it. Secondary has been highly prone to breakdowns at key moments the last 3 years. Jimmie Ward is a very good player. Very versatile, he can play any DB position.
Originally posted by kronik:
2011 playoffs: Giants game and 4th quarter of Saints game, secondary got torched

2012 playoffs and Superbowl: secondary got torched by GB, ATL, BALT

2013 playoffs: secondary got torched by a struggling Russell Wilson going into the game.

Hello Eric Reid, Jimmie Ward. Our safety position is taken care of for the next decade.

Great pick!!

True dat, Ward is going to be Rogersx2 on our defense.
Great pick by the FO
Agreed!!!, i get so sick and tired of the adlib play of Wilson, or a no name Kyle Rudolph or old Tony Gonzales TORCH DA HELL OUT OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
19-0
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Agreed!!!, i get so sick and tired of the adlib play of Wilson, or a no name Kyle Rudolph or old Tony Gonzales TORCH DA HELL OUT OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the highlight reel for Ward and how well he plays against scrambling QBs who extend plays.
We're gonna need to get even more secondary help. This could be the 1981 draft again
Originally posted by dhp318:
We're gonna need to get even more secondary help. This could be the 1981 draft again

Nope. Not a chance. Ronnie Lott was the #8 pick in the draft. A one man wrecking crew. I like wards aggressiveness but I don't see a piledriver.
  • Crown
  • Veteran
I am 100% fine with this pick.
i have seen plenty of mocks that had him as high as #20, 21 30.
not really a reach just because he wasn't invited to the green room.

Lets Go.
Gonna be SO nice to have him on the field with Brock, Culliver, Bethea and Reid. Finally, we'll be able to play more press coverage and throw a sh!tload of schemes at the offense with all the versatility these players bring. Think about it:

Reid - can switch between either S position and may now be asked to play some single-high S.
Ward - can play FS and in nickle/dime and as a CB and can blitz and play ST (blocked kicks) and grow into a starter by next year utilizing the weight room.
Bethea - can play in the box, blitz and cover better than we realize in our defense.
Culliver - former slot CB and tough and physical enough to play press and off-coverage.
Brock - from UDFA and has played every CB position on our team; now our #1. Tough and physical enough to play press and off-coverage.
Wright - NFL experience and in our defense who will push the two starters.
Cox - taking a similar path as Brock.
Cook - ST and can play press coverage.
Morris - lightning speed, our fastest gunner and will be working into the slot.

PS: Keep your eyes out for D.J. Campbell as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM ]
2011 playoffs: Giants game and 4th quarter of Saints game, secondary got torched

2013 playoffs: secondary got torched by a struggling Russell Wilson going into the game.

Great pick!!

GREAT call!

Here's JimmY.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/28/5650590/jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Great pick!!

GREAT call!

Here's JimmY.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/28/5650590/jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Spot on...his recovery and tip-drill-INT's were also very impressive. Finally, someone willing to play the ball and either knock it down or INT it.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Gonna be SO nice to have him on the field with Brock, Culliver, Bethea and Reid. Finally, we'll be able to play more press coverage and throw a sh!tload of schemes at the offense with all the versatility these players bring. Think about it:

Reid - can switch between either S position and may now be asked to play some single-high S.
Ward - can play FS and in nickle/dime and as a CB and can blitz and play ST (blocked kicks) and grow into a starter by next year utilizing the weight room.
Bethea - can play in the box, blitz and cover better than we realize in our defense.
Culliver - former slot CB and tough and physical enough to play press and off-coverage.
Brock - from UDFA and has played every CB position on our team; now our #1. Tough and physical enough to play press and off-coverage.
Wright - NFL experience and in our defense who will push the two starters.
Cox - taking a similar path as Brock.
Cook - ST and can play press coverage.
Morris - lightning speed, our fastest gunner and will be working into the slot.

PS: Keep your eyes out for D.J. Campbell as well.

Seriously. I think our secondary is gonna be amazing this year. This is the most stacked it's been since the mid 90's, and we still have 10 more picks to possibly get more playmakers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Seriously. I think our secondary is gonna be amazing this year. This is the most stacked it's been since the mid 90's, and we still have 10 more picks to possibly get more playmakers.

I hope so. Defensive back is the last piece of the superbowl puzzle. We have Tank, Lemon-yay, aldon Brooks, willis (we need a LB for insurance if Bowman can't come back 100%) We still have Dorsey, Ian, and some promising players like Okoye and dial. Cornerback and safety has always been a sore point. I'm glad they are putting some high draft capital at that position now.
Our front 7 has made our DB's look better then they are. This was evident last year when the smiths were hurt.

To top it off, we lost whitner, rogers and brown to free agency.

Our cb situation this year is like our wr situation last year.

We are depindin on brock, wright, morris, culliver and bethea to step it up.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM ]