ILB, Chris Borland, Wisconsin

Round 3
13th Selection (77th overall)
Name: Chris Borland
Position: ILB
School: Wisconsin

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Will challenge for starters roll while Bowman is out. A gamer, nice pick.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Seems like a guy who wont shine but wont make the big mistake. Always in the right place at the right time. An excellent career backup.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Don't know dude, I think Wilhoite has that all sewn up. He balled out when he came into the lineup last year.
As a huge Niners/Badgers football fan, I fully endorse this pick! Take it from the guy with one post on this forum, Borland is an absolute football player, I've been watching him play since he was a senior in Ohio getting recruited by Wisconsin. He's a stud. I'm also obviously biased!

He's a better athlete than he gets credit for as well -- certainly not an upper-echelon athlete - but better than people think.

9. Chris Borland, Wisconsin, LB: The 5-11, 245-pound linebacker -- the 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year -- has had a knack for turning heads from the days even before he was a Badger. In fact, former Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema once told me he remembered noticing Borland in one of the Badgers camps. "I'm watching him and he had about five interceptions in about an hour and half of 7-on-7," said Bielema.

Badgers' backer Chris Borland can rip off a standing back flip at will. (USATSI)Borland does a standstill box jump of 51 inches, said strength coach Evan Simon. "He can also do a standing back flip at will and one time landed one in the splits for fun. He is as solid as two rocks and one of the hardest workers you'll find."

Not only that, Badger insiders say Borland has also been known to kick 40-yard field goals, practice catching balls either with one hand or behind his back out of the jugs gun and can throw the ball about 50 yards on a line.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22278381/freaks-list-the-20-craziest-athletes-in-college-football
Reminds me of Scott McKillop, which isn't a good thing. I guess because they're both white.

Flying tackle in HS - not that it translates to the NFL, but fun to watch!
Originally posted by dhp318:
Reminds me of Scott McKillop, which isn't a good thing. I guess because they're both white.

He seems so to be more instinctive, which is a good thing when you're not as athletic. He'll never be a full time starter, but could definitely be a valuable backup / ST ace.
Aldon may get hit with suspension, # of games undetermined. Navorro may not be healed yet. Good insurance, and he was rated somewhat higher pick by the ESPN wizards. Saw him a few times and looked very solid at a great program. And I bet he was a helluva lot more talented than the DBs baalke was looking at. It really looks like he drafted BPA after our DB, and just got value. Who can argue that? Only thing missing is QB right now.

WRs were taken care of by trades, a lot cheaper than giving 3 or 4 picks up for an untried entity. Look for a dozen DBs in camp as UDFAs and maybe half a dozen WRs in camp as UDFAs. Pure baalke.
Originally posted by Preacherpj:
As a huge Niners/Badgers football fan, I fully endorse this pick! Take it from the guy with one post on this forum, Borland is an absolute football player, I've been watching him play since he was a senior in Ohio getting recruited by Wisconsin. He's a stud. I'm also obviously biased!

He's a better athlete than he gets credit for as well -- certainly not an upper-echelon athlete - but better than people think.

9. Chris Borland, Wisconsin, LB: The 5-11, 245-pound linebacker -- the 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year -- has had a knack for turning heads from the days even before he was a Badger. In fact, former Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema once told me he remembered noticing Borland in one of the Badgers camps. "I'm watching him and he had about five interceptions in about an hour and half of 7-on-7," said Bielema.

Badgers' backer Chris Borland can rip off a standing back flip at will. (USATSI)Borland does a standstill box jump of 51 inches, said strength coach Evan Simon. "He can also do a standing back flip at will and one time landed one in the splits for fun. He is as solid as two rocks and one of the hardest workers you'll find."

Not only that, Badger insiders say Borland has also been known to kick 40-yard field goals, practice catching balls either with one hand or behind his back out of the jugs gun and can throw the ball about 50 yards on a line.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22278381/freaks-list-the-20-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

Great post, as a niner/badgers fan!!!! i cosign this as well! Not a willis, bowman clone. But we got one helluva football player right here in chris borland!!
Welcome to the niners!!!
GONINERS
Draft notes: Built in the mold of former Dolphin great Zack Thomas. Leads the Badgers with 92 total tackles (56 solo) through 11 games (despite only missing one game with injury). His 8 tackles for loss (-29 yards) also lead the team. In 2012, a first-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and entered 2013 on watch list for Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Butkus Award, Lombardi Award and Lott Impact Award. Senior Bowl Invite. Ourlads' Scouting ServicesOne look at him prior to the game starting and I would say close to 90% of the public would state he had no shot at making an impact in the NFL. I think he is even shorter than his listed 5'11" with stubby arms and a lack of upper body strength. With that said, I've seen Borland more than enough to believe he will be a starting linebacker in the NFL, and a very good one to boot. He has out-produced expectations every season of his career, turning himself in to one of the most accomplished and well rounded linebackers in the nation. Borland is incredibly smart and decisive. He is constantly moving in the right direction, rarely caught out of position. He moves exceptionally well in pursuit, easily displaying true sideline-to-sideline range. He's been a dominant blitzing linebacker because of his ability to time snap accounts and sneak under the pads of much taller, less agile blockers. Borland can be overwhelmed in traffic because of the size deficiency, but he is a guy that simply finds a way to get it done week in, week out. I'll have him graded much higher than where I expect to see him selected. But even then, I can't see him available after the 3rd or 4th round. Dave Syvertsen, Ourlads' Draft Analyst

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/chris-borland/92181

His ceiling is Zach Thomas his floor is Blake Constanzo
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If he can play ST like Costanzo that's okay with me.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If he can play ST like Costanzo that's okay with me.
We shoulda just resigned Costanzo if we wanted a ST ace and saved our 3rd round pick for someone who has starter potential.
Originally posted by Preacherpj:
I hit harder than that in pop warner lol. That wasn't that impressive. He has better videos though.