LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for thl408.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Youtube is your friend. Just about every prospect that drafts has some sort of video or interview at the least.

Thanks for posting this. Really like watching prospect go at it versus other NFL prospects. Really liked watching him versus Nix (Notre Dame #1). I like his agility to get to the next level and run block LBs. Then the goaline play at 1:50 was nice, although it may have been more of a draw there versus Nix.

2:57 was a very nice display of a combo block.

I wanted a blue chip interior lineman more than a speed WR. So happy Baalke didn't forget the meat and potatoes of this offense.
San Francisco 49ers

Rd. 3 (70): Marcus Martin, C, USC (from JAC)

Rd. 4 (106): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (from CLE)

I really liked a lot of the Niners' picks in the 2014 draft, so I went with two here. Martin is a steal -- we had him ranked as the 37th-best player in the draft, and they got him in the third round. He is a physical interior lineman who is close to a finished project, and the Niners can play him at either center or guard and can get him on the field right away if they want. As for Ellington, he brings really good speed to the slot receiver position, and he's a good route runner with solid hands.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10913380/2014-nfl-draft-todd-mcshay-identifies-favorite-draft-pick-team
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
does this guy beat out kilgore to start.
Originally posted by susweel:

Who knows. Kilgore has the advantage of having been in this offense for 3 seasons now. Martin has the talent, either to become the starting center or to be Iupati's potential replacement next year. It's going to be interesting to see how the competition between Martin and Kilgore goes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Who knows. Kilgore has the advantage of having been in this offense for 3 seasons now. Martin has the talent, either to become the starting center or to be Iupati's potential replacement next year. It's going to be interesting to see how the competition between Martin and Kilgore goes.

with Iupai leaving I wonder if it means we keep crabs.

I think there's a good chance. Gore will also likely be leaving and that takes $6 million right off the books. Crabtree is going to look for a big bump in pay but with his injury issues, its not going to be as much as some might assume. I think its feasible but who knows what Baalke and Marathe end up doing.

I do see Iupati as the odd man out, especially with the additions of Martin and Thomas to go along with Looney.
  • thl408
There will be open competition for the 2nd and 3rd "TEs" in the Jumbo package. MMartin will have his name in the hat along with Looney and JMartin. This is assuming Kilgore locks down the Center position which is no sure thing.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think there's a good chance. Gore will also likely be leaving and that takes $6 million right off the books. Crabtree is going to look for a big bump in pay but with his injury issues, its not going to be as much as some might assume. I think its feasible but who knows what Baalke and Marathe end up doing.

I do see Iupati as the odd man out, especially with the additions of Martin and Thomas to go along with Looney.

This was a WR deep class I wish we would have gotten somebody for when crabs and boldin leave.
This was a WR deep class I wish we would have gotten somebody for when crabs and boldin leave.

No need if Crabtree stays. Crabtree, with Johnson as Boldin's replacement, and then Patton and Ellington is a solid receiving corps.

I think he beats Kilgore out and is our starting center on opening day in Dallas.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I think he beats Kilgore out and is our starting center on opening day in Dallas.

Absolutely.

Kilgore is an overachiever, but Martin is just a naturally gifted athlete, who is big, can anchor and really move quickly to the second level. I don't see how this is a contest really.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Absolutely.

Kilgore is an overachiever, but Martin is just a naturally gifted athlete, who is big, can anchor and really move quickly to the second level. I don't see how this is a contest really.

As PHX said, Kilgore's experience in the system and with the playbook definitely gives him the edge on day one, but not for long for all the reasons you stated.
Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, Lloyd/Baldwin...we would have to find another spot or cut Lloyd and Baldwin. However, this guy would be #6WR. I'd rather go for a WR early next year instead who will be #3-WR at the very best then.
Next year, save for another AJ Jenkins, we would still have Johnson, Boldin, Patton, Ellington for now. I assume that Boldin will be at least a solid #3-WR in 2015. Johnson should be a good #2-WR as well as Patton. Ellington will hopefully be a dangerous slot guy.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Absolutely.

As PHX said, Kilgore's experience in the system and with the playbook definitely gives him the edge on day one, but not for long for all the reasons you stated.

Is this doot smart?

Share 49ersWebzone