LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
completely wasted a pick on this kid. Should've let him develop and take someone else's roster space instead of carrying this turd this long. He should've been drafted this year or signed off of the street.

I'd rather of had any other player drafted than martin.

Oh the what ifs and captain hindsights lol...wish every GM knew if a player was gonna pan out.

Not abnormal to expect more out of a 3rd round choice. Whiffed on this guy. I was hoping we drafted a center/guard combo guy so we can finally cut this turd.

Guy is only 22. I am not so quick to write him off yet.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Turn him into a steamroll-blocking fullback
Can he play QB?
Hate to say it, but I don't blame Baalke for this failure. I blame Martin and the previous coaching regime.
Not abnormal to expect more out of a 3rd round choice. Whiffed on this guy. I was hoping we drafted a center/guard combo guy so we can finally cut this turd.

Not saying it abnormal to expect more but it's also easy to say waste of a pick after the fact, coming out of the draft he was regarded as the best center in the draft just very very young.

Not saying it abnormal to expect more but it's also easy to say waste of a pick after the fact, coming out of the draft he was regarded as the best center in the draft just very very young.

I understand your point. My point is martin has wasted a roster spot on this team since he was drafted. He might finally physically mature and end up as a decent player next year or the year after. In the meantime, we should cut him and sign him off of the street in two years or let some other team waste a roster spot on him until he turns the corner.

I understand your point. My point is martin has wasted a roster spot on this team since he was drafted. He might finally physically mature and end up as a decent player next year or the year after. In the meantime, we should cut him and sign him off of the street in two years or let some other team waste a roster spot on him until he turns the corner.

If you cut Martin right now he would be on another team in no time and wouldn't be coming back. Plus he is our only viable backup center right now. Plus he's only 3 months older than our rookie Garnett. If it wasn't for Kilgore getting hurt back to back years I feel like the zone would have a higher opinion of Martin simply because he would have no bad film on him yet. He was thrown in the fire too early due to Kilgore's health. He needs to show improvement over last year for sure but cutting him now would be a horrible move IMO.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
lets give him 2 years.. heck, we gave Kilgore 4, no?? and I still think he's not the answer..

Agreed. I have seen enough of Martin for this time around. Keeping him here another yr....Just seems like wishful thinking. My recollections of him are being shoved back into our QB on multiple occasions. No better at OG or outside. Time to move on.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
USC players not panning out in the NFL lately

it goes back to my earlier post that when you play OL for USC, for some reason, scouts tend to give you a higher score..

With Balducci in the mix now, I'd say Martin could have a tough time making the roster as a b/u C. OG's also better and deeper than a year ago, so methinks Marcus may be a longshot to stick around. Hopefully he'll step up to prevent that from happening, but the influx of veteran and rookie OL talent will make it an uphill climb, I believe.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With Balducci in the mix now, I'd say Martin could have a tough time making the roster as a b/u C. OG's also better and deeper than a year ago, so methinks Marcus may be a longshot to stick around. Hopefully he'll step up to prevent that from happening, but the influx of veteran and rookie OL talent will make it an uphill climb, I believe.

Balducci will be lucky to make the PS...as anyone who makes the PS is. People who think a bunch of UDFAs make the 53 are smoking the predictable preseason pipe. Same thing happens every year. Martin's chances of staying on are about 80%. Balducci's chances of making the 53 are maybe 5% -- it would take a LOT of injuries to other players -- but his chances of making the PS should be slightly better than 50%.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Hate to say it, but I don't blame Baalke for this failure. I blame Martin and the previous coaching regime.

Martin was highly rated when coming out and seemed to have loads of potential.

Was it inept coaching?

I don't know - or really care at this point.

IMO, he MUST show "Improvement" this year.

I don't care how young he is - either he really improves or else it's after this season.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Martin was highly rated when coming out and seemed to have loads of potential.

Was it inept coaching?

I don't know - or really care at this point.

IMO, he MUST show "Improvement" this year.

I don't care how young he is - either he really improves or else it's after this season.

I'm fine with moving on from him IF we bring in center competition.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we need to hire JEREMY NEWBERRY to coach up this young centers and guards.. put some NASTINESS on them!!
Share 49ersWebzone