Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Been nice knowing ya Snyder . . .

He's crap. He's seen better days
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
My favorite pick so far, too. I know Center isn't a sexy position, but protecting Kap up the middle is extremely important in his development as a pocket passer. Give him the time to hang in there and develop his instincts as a pocket passer. Too many times he got the snap and faced immediate pressure in his face. Martin will make a push for playing time in the Jumbo package this season.

Great points, and I'll just add that a strong center will do wonders to keep Frank Gore's career going and going and...
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Been nice knowing ya Snyder . . .

He's crap. He's seen better days

Has he even seen decent days?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Most talented center in this years draft. Not even close. Also plays guard. Baalke in full Ninja mode ! Love it !
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm going to cream my pants I love this pick so much.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
From Walter Football...:

Player Comparison: Jonathan Goodwin. Martin is nearly indentical in size to Goodwin (6-3, 318), and they have similar styles of play. Both are athletic and quick for centers with plus size. They are heavy centers, yet move well and are able to get to blocks on the second level. Goodwin has had a good career with the Saints and 49ers after being a fifth-round pick by the Jets in 2002 out of Michigan. Martin will probably go a round or two higher, but in the NFL, I could see Martin being a quality center similar to Goodwin.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
From Walter Football...:

Player Comparison: Jonathan Goodwin. Martin is nearly indentical in size to Goodwin (6-3, 318), and they have similar styles of play. Both are athletic and quick for centers with plus size. They are heavy centers, yet move well and are able to get to blocks on the second level. Goodwin has had a good career with the Saints and 49ers after being a fifth-round pick by the Jets in 2002 out of Michigan. Martin will probably go a round or two higher, but in the NFL, I could see Martin being a quality center similar to Goodwin.

This is a better comparison right here from cbssports

COMPARES TO: Alex Mack, Cleveland Browns -- Mack was among the more polished and talented centers in recent history when he left Cal and was selected by the Browns with the 21st overall pick of the 2009 draft. Martin isn't yet at this stage but his upside is clear, as is his grit and physicality. With dedication to his craft, Martin could emerge as a quality starter in the NFL.
he will push Kilgore. Camp is going to be very interesting this year
Since he has played OG before, that means we can improve on Snyder and Goodwin is gone no matter what. If Kilgore is ready, then I bet Martin plays where Snyder used to play. We win both ways. I agree, however, that having a rook call line play against StLouis, SEA, doesn't sound very appealing...but we'll see.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I cannot wait man. The competition will be terrific. And the most crazy part about it, rounds 4,5,6,7 + udfa signings are still ahead of us

Most important pick of the draft imo. Everything on Roman's offense starts with the run. When it gets shut down we struggle, simple as that. Everyone points the finger at Gore because of his age and declining stats, but there's a reason he got dropped for a loss (ie, plays out of his control) the most times in his career last year, and that has to do with the blocking in front of him and the playcalling (nothing we can do about that since Roman is still around).

For a team that under Harbaugh will always have a power mentality, having strength up the middle is crucial and this guy has the potential to raise the bar for our run game whereas I don't think anyone really looks upon of Kilgore as anything more than an average player.

Crucial pick, glad we made it, now it's up to him and the team to get him ready to start as a rookie.
Martin, Hyde, Lattimore... safe to say our running game is about to get a huge lift. And then there is our passing game upgrades...
Originally posted by 5280High:
Martin, Hyde, Lattimore... safe to say our running game is about to get a huge lift. And then there is our passing game upgrades...

Gabbert is not an upgrade...
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Great pick
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I cannot wait man. The competition will be terrific. And the most crazy part about it, rounds 4,5,6,7 + udfa signings are still ahead of us

not to mention the 2-3 QBs that ride the merry-go round for the 3rd spot.
[ Edited by Crown on May 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone