LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
You guys forgetting about Kilgore?

Gotta create competition and like Kilgore, martin also plays guard.

I get that but saying he's the "starter" is a little absurd. Anybody trust a rookie to make the line calls for Kap, in a season when we expect the Super Bowl? He needs a year before we can let him run the line.
It has happened before(Mangold/Pouncey Bros)

I get that but saying he's the "starter" is a little absurd. Anybody trust a rookie to make the line calls for Kap, in a season when we expect the Super Bowl? He needs a year before we can let him run the line.

We had a rookie long snapper last year and that faired for us pretty well, but its going to come down to the best player at center in camp. And really we dont know what we have with either at center.

Long snapper, seriously lol

You want a fresh rookie making protection calls against the front 4 of Stl?
Been nice knowing ya Snyder . . .

We had a rookie long snapper last year and that faired for us pretty well, but its going to come down to the best player at center in camp. And really we dont know what we have with either at center.

Long snapper, seriously lol

You want a fresh rookie making protection calls against the front 4 of Stl?

if he outplays kilgore in traning camp and the pre season hell yes I do. I doubt Harbaugh would put him in there unless he thought he was better. Laugh all you want about the long snapper comment but a s**tty snap or bad protection of the kicker or punter and ruin a game really quickly and i dont recall either of those last season.
Originally posted by QBguru:

Um, not the same situation at all. The Jets and Dolphins (and even the Steelers that year), were not expected to contend for the Super Bowl. Hell the Jets and Dolphins weren't even expected to make the playoffs! And what Quarterbacks were they protecting?

When you spend a high pick and pay millions you normally need to play the kid. For a 3rd rounder we can wait and let him absorb the mental stuff. If he wins out great, I just don't think it happens this year. With the defenses we play in the West it will be a tall order.

Look at it like this. The FO was comfortable letting Goodwin go, knowing we had Kilgore waiting. They had no idea if they could even get this kid prior to today. I would hope they would have faith in Kilgore starting, knowing full well we may not have been able to draft a C.

When you spend a high pick and pay millions you normally need to play the kid. For a 3rd rounder we can wait and let him absorb the mental stuff. If he wins out great, I just don't think it happens this year. With the defenses we play in the West it will be a tall order.

Look at it like this. The FO was comfortable letting Goodwin go, knowing we had Kilgore waiting. They had no idea if they could even get this kid prior to today. I would hope they would have faith in Kilgore starting, knowing full well we may not have been able to draft a C.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Um, not the same situation at all. The Jets and Dolphins (and even the Steelers that year), were not expected to contend for the Super Bowl. Hell the Jets and Dolphins weren't even expected to make the playoffs! And what Quarterbacks were they protecting?

I wasn't referring to Rookie Centers on Super Bowl Contenders. I was just referring to Rookie Centers manning the line and being very successful. And they were still protecting the starting QB. Who the QB was is irrelevant.
  • dj43

Wasn't Pouncey a rookie when Pittsburgh went to the Super Bowl?

It can be done. The rest of the OL are vets who don't need a lot of directing.

If he beats out Kilgore then we need to start him. I don't care where you were picked. If you are flat out better than the competition, then you need to start.

Really like this pick. We need better pass protection on our o-line & the guy can also hold the point. Nice job Baalke
  • thl408
My favorite pick so far, too. I know Center isn't a sexy position, but protecting Kap up the middle is extremely important in his development as a pocket passer. Give him the time to hang in there and develop his instincts as a pocket passer. Too many times he got the snap and faced immediate pressure in his face. Martin will make a push for playing time in the Jumbo package this season.
Originally posted by dj43:

Pouncey was. But missed the Super Bowl due to injury.

But he was also the 18th pick, so his skill set was a bit better coming out. If this kid was a mid 1st rounder I would say give him the keys because he's expected to be a day 1 starter.

But he was also the 18th pick, so his skill set was a bit better coming out. If this kid was a mid 1st rounder I would say give him the keys because he's expected to be a day 1 starter.

Yea but I believe Martin was rated the #1 center in the draft. I think that still counts for something. I think there was so much talent in other positions this year that C might have been overlooked imo.

Yea but I believe Martin was rated the #1 center in the draft. I think that still counts for something. I think there was so much talent in other positions this year that C might have been overlooked imo.

Yes and No. Being top rated is good without a doubt. But he's still going to be evaluated and rated properly. It's just that the best C this year was only worth a 3rd rounder. You can see the same thing with the RB's. Sometimes you get a Peterson, other times you get a Hyde. Both are good but in the overall rankings one is much more valuable.
Share 49ersWebzone