LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

RB Carlos Hyde Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ya....the comments about Lattimore are kinda funny.

Drafting Hyde has a lot more to do with Gores age than Lattimores health. Of course Lattimores health is in question...he tore 3 ligament in his knee. Even if he's 100% and looks good right now, there are no guarantees.

Putting all your chips on Lattimore simply isn't smart...especially with the best RB in the draft staring you in the face.

This. I agree with you, I believe this move was more to prepare for life without Gore and revamping the running game than it was Lattimore's recovery. With that being said, given his injury history, I wouldn't put all my chips into him either and I wouldn't rely on him being the sole feature back. Bringing in Hyde not only provides for a more dynamic duo in the future, but also takes a whole lot of pressure off of Latt as well. The guy was basically a cowbell back in SC.
Triginally posted by thl408:
Seems to always carry the ball in his right hand, even when he's running to the left side of the formation. This makes it easier for tacklers to poke the ball loose. Just an observation. Easily correctable.

that and it looks like he doesn't cover up the ball when going through the hole
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on May 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:

Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:

Did you see about Chris Borland did stop hyde. Hyde must a hit on him when he must a get TD but he seem to slow to run and failed to close on TD. Borland did good job but I thought, he was a soft. Why hyde didn't get a Td. That suck.. I am little worry about hyde if he didn't get success a football.
i think borland was about the only person who stopped him...that's why the niners drafted him, so now there is no one left to stop him. That was a good pop though, and it was actually twice.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
I think this is a great pick. Why di we lose to the seahawks? Because our RB's couldn't pick up any yards. Gore looked almost done by that game only getting 14 yards on 11 caries. Mix this guy and Lattimore in and make that defense take a beating. We are now deep at OL and have a big back who gets stronger as the game goes and wears down defenses.

I think Gore will still get significant carries. I believe we were running quite well (from my memory) until Iupati went down and we had to plug in Snyder.
dont underestimate borland. the guy is a little wrecking ball. those plays say more about borland than it takes from hyde.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ya....the comments about Lattimore are kinda funny.

Drafting Hyde has a lot more to do with Gores age than Lattimores health. Of course Lattimores health is in question...he tore 3 ligament in his knee. Even if he's 100% and looks good right now, there are no guarantees.

Putting all your chips on Lattimore simply isn't smart...especially with the best RB in the draft staring you in the face.

This. I agree with you, I believe this move was more to prepare for life without Gore and revamping the running game than it was Lattimore's recovery. With that being said, given his injury history, I wouldn't put all my chips into him either and I wouldn't rely on him being the sole feature back. Bringing in Hyde not only provides for a more dynamic duo in the future, but also takes a whole lot of pressure off of Latt as well. The guy was basically a cowbell back in SC.

Gore has fooled people before, where he looks pretty much washed up for a couple games, then he rips off a few in a row where he comes up big. But HarBaalke & Co. know the day is coming sooner rather than later where he won't be able to do it any more.

So no, I do not think the drafting of Hyde was some kind of indictment on the progress of Lattimore, but rather being proactive in planning for the future, which would not shock me in the least if we see that future this season, i.e. Gore doesn't carry near the load he has in the past.

And notice that Hyde is very adept at running out of Pistol/RO? First and foremost, they drafted him because he's a very good RB...but having grown up in Urban Meyer's spread option doesn't hurt.

imagine the opportunities kap will get on the outside with this monster and lattimore on the inside
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
After thinking about it for a few days, I'm beginning to really really like this draftee. With the power run philosophy that we have, I've always wanted a guy that had the power, quickness, speed, and agility to operate in this system. If I had my three Alladin lamp wishes - one of them would be to bring back earl Campbell in his prime to play for the 49ers and Jim Harbaugh. This Hyde guy can be a bigger and stronger Gore but possibly has more speed than Gore. Add in the powerful center in Martin, and we might be seeing the 2nd coming of Rocky Blier/Tom Rathman.

This power run offense just got three times more dangerous with this years draft picks and with Marcus coming online.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
imagine the opportunities kap will get on the outside with this monster and lattimore on the inside

He may not have to pass as much as he did last year!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I wonder if this means Lattimore is not looking like the player he was before the injury?

I think it has more to do with Gore and Hunter being in the last year of their contracts, LMJ being unhappy here, and the value was outstanding.
Officially a 49er, inked a 4yr deal with us just now.
Share 49ersWebzone