LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

RB Carlos Hyde Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Great Read:
http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/2/17/5418546/carlos-hyde-vs-chris-borland-the-best-title-fight-that-nobody-talked

Great story and now we have both. Time to clean out a spot for the 6th lombardi.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'm not even going to go through all 11 pages. 2 pages in and all of you morons are saying they already gave up on Lattimore.

Do you realize that our #1 and #2 are both in contract years? Gore is likely to retire, Hunter will likely leave to be a more frequently used in a committee.

Our #3 LMJ is likely to be traded or cut. Not to mention we drafted Millard for 2015 who is versatile enough to fill in as RB like Marcel Reese.....

We could go into next season with a depth chart of
RB Hyde, Lattimore, rookie
FB Miller, Millard

Typical NinerTalk, 'Zone gonna 'zone and find something to complain about without stopping and thinking about the big picture.
[ Edited by sfout on May 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I like how fast Hyde hits the hole....his highlights look impressive. It's worthwhile to note that his line completely killing the other team's DL though, opening massive holes for him. A lot of RBs would look awesome behind that line.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Selecting the best RB in a draft in the 2nd round instantly puts carries in his workload. Unfortunately this to me confirms my suspicions that Hunter has not responded the way the team hoped coming back from the achilles injury and is likely both he and LMJ are not 49ers in 2015, if not 2014. I am not a fan of LMJ, but like Hunter a lot and will be sad to see him go.

I thought Hunter looked the same last year. Didn't get a ton of carries, but still looked to have that quick, powerful burst.

Id love to keep him around for sure. I like Hunter a lot, I should know better than trying to read into the draft results.
Haven't seen nearly enough of him yet. I'll wait until rathman gets a hold of him and turns him into a finished product before being harsh about the pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's going to be fun watching Hyde play in the coming years.
People keep talking about how he is our power back in the mold of a Marshawn Lynch, but I don't really see him being all that powerful for 230 pounds. I've watched a bunch of videos on him and his power looks ok in the sense that he'll fall forward, but I don't see him keep his legs churning after contact like Lynch. Lynch will bounce off of guys, break tackles, keeps his legs motoring, and push piles. I don't really see that type of power from Hyde. Someone who has watched a lot of Hyde, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see tremendous power like a Lynch or A.P. possess, and that's what I really want to see from a top running back in the draft.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
People keep talking about how he is our power back in the mold of a Marshawn Lynch, but I don't really see him being all that powerful for 230 pounds. I've watched a bunch of videos on him and his power looks ok in the sense that he'll fall forward, but I don't see him keep his legs churning after contact like Lynch. Lynch will bounce off of guys, break tackles, keeps his legs motoring, and push piles. I don't really see that type of power from Hyde. Someone who has watched a lot of Hyde, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see tremendous power like a Lynch or A.P. possess, and that's what I really want to see from a top running back in the draft.

Hyde most certainly got some of that young Jerome Bettis in him! If he stays healthy and trains hard with our staff he's going to be a bull!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Hyde most certainly got some of that young Jerome Bettis in him! If he stays healthy and trains hard with our staff he's going to be a bull!

hes 230 plus before entering an nfl weight room, has a massive frame and is fast for a big dude with a quick burst. hes like a massive frank gore who grew up next to a nuclear powerplant. hes going to get bigger and stronger and hes already a beast. i love this pick. hes going to move the chains and smack people all day long with lattimore for most of the next decade
Us taking him & mcshay/kiper on him:

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by Liono:
Why do you guys think LMJ will be traded? He's our return man, and he did a heck of a good job. He did muff a few but didn't lose them, and I expect he'll get even better in that role. A return man touches the ball more times than the typical #2 runningback.

I think he will be traded for a number of reasons:

1) He hasn't been able to consistently make the active game-day roster on a weekly basis
2) Other than his average kick return ability, he offers nothing on Special Teams
3) He has been known to complain and act like a suck if he doesn't get playing time
4) He hasn't found a role on this Offense and it doesn't appear that he will
5) He still has some trade value due to his age, speed, and the fact he hasn't been banged up too much....some desparate team out there might offer a 4th/5th rounder for him
6) With the addition of Carlos Hyde and Marcus Lattimore, there's literally no room for him...he's not much better than Jewel Hampton!

I would also add that I think it's his blocking that kills him. He can't protect the QB well, which means if he comes on the field we can't really disguise our intent - we're going to be feeding him the ball.

Anyway, I love the Hyde pick. I always thought we'd draft a RB but I thought it might have been Andre Williams, I'm more than delighted with the Hyde pick and it makes perfect sense for us. It's also going to benefit Lattimore hugely as well I think. I believe that Hyde and Lattimore will split the carries and as a result it will extend both their careers as well as giving us one hell of a running game.

Hyde looks like a real potential star, I'm not sure he'll add much more weight because it would impact his quickness but he looks mroe than strong enough. We'll be coaching him for the leg drive and he does remind me of a Lynch in his running style - strong, bounces of tacklers and agile enough to make good, quick, cuts. He also looks like he has great vision and that is hard to teach.

Also, as pointed out, the only guy to stop him in college football was Borland. We're in an awesome position after this draft
[ Edited by Buchy on May 12, 2014 at 2:45 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
I would also add that I think it's his blocking that kills him. He can't protect the QB well, which means if he comes on the field we can't really disguise our intent - we're going to be feeding him the ball.

Anyway, I love the Hyde pick. I always thought we'd draft a RB but I thought it might have been Andre Williams, I'm more than delighted with the Hyde pick and it makes perfect sense for us. It's also going to benefit Lattimore hugely as well I think. I believe that Hyde and Lattimore will split the carries and as a result it will extend both their careers as well as giving us one hell of a running game.

Hyde looks like a real potential star, I'm not sure he'll add much more weight because it would impact his quickness but he looks mroe than strong enough. We'll be coaching him for the leg drive and he does remind me of a Lynch in his running style - strong, bounces of tacklers and agile enough to make good, quick, cuts. He also looks like he has great vision and that is hard to teach.

Also, as pointed out, the only guy to stop him in college football was Borland. We're in an awesome position after this draft

I have to agree. He is supposed to be a change of pace back. But do we need one if both Hyde and Lattimore can do what he does? I mean I'd rather have any change of pacing come out of our base offense and be a surprise (like you said) than having a personnel change be so obvious that it's no longer a surprise. I still remember the end of Steve Youngs career like it was yesterday.

With Lattimore and hyde, I can see the second coming of Wendell Tyler and Roger craig.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think this is a great pick. Why di we lose to the seahawks? Because our RB's couldn't pick up any yards. Gore looked almost done by that game only getting 14 yards on 11 caries. Mix this guy and Lattimore in and make that defense take a beating. We are now deep at OL and have a big back who gets stronger as the game goes and wears down defenses.
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm not even going to go through all 11 pages. 2 pages in and all of you morons are saying they already gave up on Lattimore.

Do you realize that our #1 and #2 are both in contract years? Gore is likely to retire, Hunter will likely leave to be a more frequently used in a committee.

Our #3 LMJ is likely to be traded or cut. Not to mention we drafted Millard for 2015 who is versatile enough to fill in as RB like Marcel Reese.....

We could go into next season with a depth chart of
RB Hyde, Lattimore, rookie
FB Miller, Millard

Typical NinerTalk, 'Zone gonna 'zone and find something to complain about without stopping and thinking about the big picture.

Ya....the comments about Lattimore are kinda funny.

Drafting Hyde has a lot more to do with Gores age than Lattimores health. Of course Lattimores health is in question...he tore 3 ligament in his knee. Even if he's 100% and looks good right now, there are no guarantees.

Putting all your chips on Lattimore simply isn't smart...especially with the best RB in the draft staring you in the face.
  • thl408
Seems to always carry the ball in his right hand, even when he's running to the left side of the formation. This makes it easier for tacklers to poke the ball loose. Just an observation. Easily correctable.
Share 49ersWebzone