There are 172 users in the forums

RB Carlos Hyde Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
In all the highlight clips I've seen of Hyde, he operates without a FB lead. He never shares the backfield with a FB. This may come in handy if the 49ers choose to run out of their 11 personnel (1rb/1te/3WR). 11 is a grouping many posters have said they want to see more of this season now that SJohnson is on board. One criticism I have is that the 49ers didn't run out of their 11 personnel enough last season. When they did, it was mainly with Hunter.

This created a bit of a tip off to the defense. If it was Gore in 11, it was most likely a passing play. The reasoning to put Gore in 11, is that Gore is easily the best blitz pickup RB on the roster. I feel Gore isn't as effective without a FB lead, which he doesn't get in 11 personnel. Perhaps this is why the 49ers didn't run much with Gore in 11 personnel. I wish I had a stat to help back this up, but I don't, so it's just an observation.

IF (gigantic IF) Hyde can make himself a non-liability in blitz pickup, the 49ers can run and pass out of 11 using Hyde. I'm assuming Hyde is most familiar running without a FB lead. This might make him the go-to RB in 11.
Originally posted by thl408:
In all the highlight clips I've seen of Hyde, he operates without a FB lead. He never shares the backfield with a FB. This may come in handy if the 49ers choose to run out of their 11 personnel (1rb/1te/3WR). 11 is a grouping many posters have said they want to see more of this season now that SJohnson is on board. One criticism I have is that the 49ers didn't run out of their 11 personnel enough last season. When they did, it was mainly with Hunter.

This created a bit of a tip off to the defense. If it was Gore in 11, it was most likely a passing play. The reasoning to put Gore in 11, is that Gore is easily the best blitz pickup RB on the roster. I feel Gore isn't as effective without a FB lead, which he doesn't get in 11 personnel. Perhaps this is why the 49ers didn't run much with Gore in 11 personnel. I wish I had a stat to help back this up, but I don't, so it's just an observation.

IF (gigantic IF) Hyde can make himself a non-liability in blitz pickup, the 49ers can run and pass out of 11 using Hyde. I'm assuming Hyde is most familiar running without a FB lead. This might make him the go-to RB in 11.

It also looked like he took a lot of snaps from the Q formation (shotgun/pistol) and has the ability to run inside and outside and obviously, catch as well. Complete back IF, like you noted, he can get the blitz pickup down. That may be the #1 priority for the coaches in getting him up to speed and Gore will teach him, no doubt.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

I agree! and just my opinion, but another poster on this thread (or another thread) said he looks like Emmit smith when he runs. I have to agree. Also - Emmit was a very late 1st round pick. Hyde a very late 2nd round pick. Which is where I think Emmit would go nowadays in this pass happy NFL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jeez, Giedi, it really took you that long? I don't believe that...exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

sorry Paseo, I just had to do that to you. I just couldn't resist.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
With his side, does anyone think Carlos Hyde could also play backup fullback? If he could, it would free up an extra roster spot.

I think you underestimate Miller's importance.

I said backup fullback lol. Unless there is some development that I'm unaware of and Bruce Miller is now the backup fullback.
With his side, does anyone think Carlos Hyde could also play backup fullback? If he could, it would free up an extra roster spot.

I said backup fullback lol. Unless there is some development that I'm unaware of and Bruce Miller is now the backup fullback.

I get a for reading comprehension!

No problem. I'm just thinking with roster spots at a premium and given his abilities, he could probably do the job in a limited role. It has me thinking of when we had Roger Craig at FB early in his career and Wendell Tyler at RB. If they want a larger body to play fullback for that jumbo package, perhaps they can plug in one of our guards and I'm thinking Carlos Hyde would provide more as a RB/FB than Will Tufuaku would as a DE/FB.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM ]

No problem. I'm just thinking with roster spots at a premium and given his abilities, he could probably do the job in a limited role. It has me thinking of when we had Roger Craig at FB early in his career and Wendell Tyler at RB. If they want a larger body to play fullback for that jumbo package, perhaps they can plug in one of our guards and I'm thinking Carlos Hyde would provide more as a RB/FB than Will Tufuaku would as a DE/FB.

I agree, but somehow I doubt Harbaugh / Roman think the same.
Hunter played quite competently as a rookie if I recall. He was given carries to spell Gore here & there and made a few pretty good runs. Why can't Hyde do the same (even though a different back than Hunter)? Frankie isn't as spry as 3 years ago so he'll need a little more spelling but Hyde should be up to the task. RB is normally considered an easier position for rookies to contribute right away and he was a workhorse in college.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Hunter played quite competently as a rookie if I recall. He was given carries to spell Gore here & there and made a few pretty good runs. Why can't Hyde do the same (even though a different back than Hunter)? Frankie isn't as spry as 3 years ago so he'll need a little more spelling but Hyde should be up to the task. RB is normally considered an easier position for rookies to contribute right away and he was a workhorse in college.

Hyde is definitely going to get his chance.

Your time is now, kid!
Hunter torn ACL, Lattimore not cleared for practice (yet) - huge opportunity just fell in Hyde's lap. Hoping he takes full advantage of it.
I just want Hyde to run a bit lower in traffic so he protects himself in this league. Mofos be trying to chop a big backs legs out from under him. I hope Lattimore does as well
Hoping that he picks up blocking assignments quickly and gains the confidence of the Coaches.
Next man up young boi, what ya gon do now you got your chance??
Share 49ersWebzone