LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 412 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
This dude better come through or I'm going to complain...

This could be the second missed pick in a row by Baalke. While I really like Eric Reid, I'm very concerned about his concussions. Not thats its Baalk's fault if Eric has a short career, but that would make two first picks that didn't pan out. Eric is a great talent that is injury prone and the jury is still out on Ward.

That's very true. He did nail it with iupati and Davis but with all the pieces we are losing, it will really hurt us if we don't find people to fill in.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
This dude better come through or I'm going to complain...

This could be the second missed pick in a row by Baalke. While I really like Eric Reid, I'm very concerned about his concussions. Not thats its Baalk's fault if Eric has a short career, but that would make two first picks that didn't pan out. Eric is a great talent that is injury prone and the jury is still out on Ward.

That's very true. He did nail it with iupati and Davis but with all the pieces we are losing, it will really hurt us if we don't find people to fill in.

Plenty of S's to choose from in FA at the 2nd level: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/free-agency/181494-2015-free-agents/page2/ (scroll down).

If we lose a Whitner, we get a Bethea. If we lose a Goldson, we get a Reid.

Chill people...Baalke's got this. Let's see how Ward plays in his leap-year while 100% healthy for the first time in his career. At worst, he should be a very good backup FS who continues to excel on ST's. Better than Craig Dahl right?
Baalke saw something he liked in Ward. Baalke has earned the benefit of the doubt in drafting defensive players. One thing for sure, the patience will run thin on this pick if he can't stay healthy next year.
Didnt understand the No trade down and still get Ward?? He probably woulda been there at 35 to 40 and 49ers coulda picked up and extra 3rd or 4th. Personally I dont like the transition from mac free safety to NFL nickelback for a guy to slow for the NFL CB and too small for NFL safety. Hated the pick then and NOW. I hope I am wrong like I was wrong about Boreland.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Didnt understand the No trade down and still get Ward?? He probably woulda been there at 35 to 40 and 49ers coulda picked up and extra 3rd or 4th. Personally I dont like the transition from mac free safety to NFL nickelback for a guy to slow for the NFL CB and too small for NFL safety. Hated the pick then and NOW. I hope I am wrong like I was wrong about Boreland.

he's not slow

trail technique was taught by the previous regime.
NC when you say "continues" to excel on special teams what are you referring to?
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 28, 2015 at 3:52 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
NC when you say "continues" to excel on special teams what are you referring to?

If you look at last year's Team Needs thread, he was one of the gunners on our defensive kickoff coverage units (and a good one); he and Dontae Johnson.

Kickoff Coverage Unit (Defensive Team)
We kick off:
25 Ward, Jimmie
96 Lemonier, Corey
46 Carrier, Derek
50 Borland, Chris
14 Osgood, Kassim
09 Dawson, Phil
54 Moody, Nick
22 Cook, Chris
31 McCray, L.J.
43 Dahl, Craig
36 Johnson, Dontae

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/#253J1Pohw5fmqMyu.99
Jimmie Ward looked like Earl Thomas on his college tape.

Then again, he was playing against mid-major talent mostly.

I was neither excited nor angry with the pick... but he was a major liability last year.

I'll be cautiously hopeful he gets it together because he seems to be very passionate about the game and has a no-nonsense approach to working at his craft. Just think CB is a terrible position for him, with his size and ball skills, we're IMO better off putting him at FS and moving Reid to SS where he can be one of the best coveraage SS's in the NFL.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
He better not be AJ Jenkins tier next year
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
Jimmie Ward looked like Earl Thomas on his college tape.

Then again, he was playing against mid-major talent mostly.

I was neither excited nor angry with the pick... but he was a major liability last year.

I'll be cautiously hopeful he gets it together because he seems to be very passionate about the game and has a no-nonsense approach to working at his craft. Just think CB is a terrible position for him, with his size and ball skills, we're IMO better off putting him at FS and moving Reid to SS where he can be one of the best coveraage SS's in the NFL.

He looked like earl Thomas playing back and attacking. Then we put him in the slot having to backpedal all the time. Not the best use of ward

Bust
In that game against the Bears he looked really short.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kuya:
He better not be AJ Jenkins tier next year

Given that he's played more minutes in his first "injury" year than AJ has in his career... I think he's moved passed that danger.
Was Jimmie Ward fragile in college?
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Was Jimmie Ward fragile in college?

nope
Share 49ersWebzone