LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm curious to see what position he ends up playing in the long run. He's solid in the slot, not sure he's big enough to play safety at the nfl level.

He's the same size as earl thomas. It's ability, not size.

It's not ability I'm worried about, it durability. Hopefully he works out more like Earl Thomas than Bob Sanders. Grant it, he didn't have issues in college, but this isn't college. If they play him in the box, I'll be a little nervouse.

@ Phil

I'm not sure how you can say he's mediocre when he's started one of the most difficult positions on defense and got his job back immediately returning from injury, even though we have an embarrassment of riches at cb at the moment? If he was average or worst we could easily slide Cox inside and have cully and Brock on the out. Fangio does not placate or mince words, if he's playing he's good.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 1, 2014 at 5:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
It's not ability I'm worried about, it durability. Hopefully he works out more like Earl Thomas than Bob Sanders. Grant it, he didn't have issues in college, but this isn't college. If they play him in the box, I'll be a little nervouse.

@ Phil

I'm not sure how you can say he's mediocre when he's started one of the most difficult positions on defense and got his job back immediately returning from injury, even though we have an embarrassment of riches at cb at the moment? If he was average or worst we. Kyle easily slide Cox inside and have cully and Brock on the out. Fangio does not placate or mince words, if he's playing he's good.

Ward is tough bro. Played through a broken foot without knowing. He is like dudes I grew up with. CB size but LB tough mindset. This guy is going to be the truth. Excellent pick IMO. You can see it in the way he plays and his approach to the game. I may be wrong but I am high on Jimmy. Just knowing dudes like I knew them I figure not a whole lot had changed since I was that young 15 years ago. I just feel this guy is going to ascend as a player
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Once the game slows down for him i see him doing good things, could be our T.Brown 2.0,
should've just kept T.Brown 1.0

Agreed
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Once the game slows down for him i see him doing good things, could be our T.Brown 2.0,
should've just kept T.Brown 1.0

Agreed

Been a difference maker with the Raiders
Originally posted by English:
Let me see now, not half way through his rookie season and NT has judged him to be wanting.

This. We're talking about a handful of games for a rookie comimg from NIU, people want to bag on the guy even as he has shown continued improvement.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. We're talking about a handful of games for a rookie comimg from NIU, people want to bag on the guy even as he has shown continued improvement.

We on sports misc bro?
Originally posted by genus49:
We on sports misc bro?

Feels like it huh???

"College safety isn't the best slot corner in the NFL after like 6 games? Its official, he's a complete bust!!!"

Ward is making progress I like the kid
Slot is the toughest position to play of CBs, it's common knowledge. The fact that he's playing it as a rookie already speaks volumes and like Phoenix said he's shown improvement every week. Be patient boys, he'll hit full stride at the same time we get our all pros back and in the playoffs we'll have the best defense hands down
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Slot is the toughest position to play of CBs, it's common knowledge. The fact that he's playing it as a rookie already speaks volumes and like Phoenix said he's shown improvement every week. Be patient boys, he'll hit full stride at the same time we get our all pros back and in the playoffs we'll have the best defense hands down

Like your take and agree.

Not his best game, but I think he's getting a little too much hate. He's given up some big plays, but for the most part I don't hear his name that much. He must be doing good coverage some of the time! Probably a reach pick though, but still he's starting. It could be worse, he could not even be getting playing time (like AJJ)
Thought he had a decent game. Graham is a tough cover for anyone.
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Thought he had a decent game. Graham is a tough cover for anyone.

Yea he had good coverage on the Graham TD. The one to Cooks wasn't his fault. Eric Reid got lost.
we're going to use all of our db's so he's going to get his chances.
we had him on the field cox culliver and brock
we're going to use our db's like teams try to use their rb's just match up to the strengths and go for it.

i like it
I think he's played well...when he gets beat, I blame a lot of it on poor safety help...guy gets hung out to dry
Share 49ersWebzone