There are 197 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I know this can change before Week 1, but is anyone else concerned a little about the news from yesterday that Ward is slated to be one of the gunners on punt coverage? By concerned, I mean about the possibility of him getting injured covering punts in this role when it's looking like he'll be our starting slot corner playing at least 60% of the snaps (and thus, playing a very important role in today's pass-happy NFL).

Yeah. I don't like it. Mccray is the other gunner. If we lose Ward to injury on ST. That would mean Cox would play Nickel. Not sure he is quick enough to handle Welker, Jackson, etc. Hope Ward stays healthy.

Exactly - this is what I'm thinking. Nothing against Cox and I know he would do a decent job, but Ward looks like the most talented on the team for that role now and in the future until or if they eventually move him to S in the years ahead.
I know this can change before Week 1, but is anyone else concerned a little about the news from yesterday that Ward is slated to be one of the gunners on punt coverage? By concerned, I mean about the possibility of him getting injured covering punts in this role when it's looking like he'll be our starting slot corner playing at least 60% of the snaps (and thus, playing a very important role in today's pass-happy NFL).

Yeah. I don't like it. Mccray is the other gunner. If we lose Ward to injury on ST. That would mean Cox would play Nickel. Not sure he is quick enough to handle Welker, Jackson, etc. Hope Ward stays healthy.

Exactly - this is what I'm thinking. Nothing against Cox and I know he would do a decent job, but Ward looks like the most talented on the team for that role now and in the future until or if they eventually move him to S in the years ahead.

Is Ward the presumptive starter at NB?
Originally posted by eonblue:

Is Ward the presumptive starter at NB?

It seems that way from the preseason up to this point...but, who knows what the coaches decide once Week 1 gets here. I like what I've seen from Ward in the preseason covering the slot. He's been right there in coverage (and will continue to improve) and a strong, very willing tackler.
It seems that way from the preseason up to this point...but, who knows what the coaches decide once Week 1 gets here. I like what I've seen from Ward in the preseason covering the slot. He's been right there in coverage (and will continue to improve) and a strong, very willing tackler.

He's a great tackler but I'm worried about him getting beat by the more savvy slots.
He's going to have his growing pains and screw-ups.

In the long run he'll be a STAR for us.

Yep I am too. I'd try Moody there personally. But I do believe we'll get Osgood back and hopefully he takes that role
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Yep I am too. I'd try Moody there personally. But I do believe we'll get Osgood back and hopefully he takes that role

This makes sense, but who gets cut to make room for Osgood?
Looking good so far. Going to be a solid player for the team for years
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
As expected.

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio met with the media Thursday afternoon, and he confirmed what most already figured. Jimmie Ward is the starting nickel back, and Michael Wilhoite will start in the jack linebacker position next to Patrick Willis, who will be in the mike role.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/4/6107147/vic-fangio-confirms-michael-wilhoite-jimmie-ward-in-starting-lineup
Hope Ward's ok. He played well today

very well today the moment wasn't too big for him and that's the most important thing
I just read he got a concussion. Was that his second one this year already?
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I just read he got a concussion. Was that his second one this year already?

The first that I am aware of. Hes gotta keep his helmet on!
https://twitter.com/ward_jimmie/status/509483385618571264

@ward_jimmie To my friends and family I don't have a concussion..thanks for your concern
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
https://twitter.com/ward_jimmie/status/509483385618571264

@ward_jimmie To my friends and family I don't have a concussion..thanks for your concern
Terrific news.
Share 49ersWebzone