LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Looks like they said the same thing about Kam.

Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by TJA85:
The MLB Nick Moody?

He played safety and LB in college. He's a tweener like Kam. Oversized safety/ undersized linebacker - size-wise.

What were his pass coverage skills like? I know that Whitner had to develop his because we still need that ability up top. If Moody has any ball hawking capabilities I wouldn't mind throwing him out there on short yardage situations

Let's take a look at some strengths:

Physicality: Even as a safety, Moody lined up a lot in the box and was a big contributor against the run. He was known for his big hits (see below) and physical play.
Willingness to contribute on special teams: Moody knew special teams would be the key to his professional career. He learned the importance of special teams at FSU and played significantly on both punt and kickoff coverage.

Areas where Moody has struggled:

Pass coverage: Moody seemed to struggle with some of the assignments as a strong-side linebacker, including covering the tight end or crossing routes. He was often exposed in passing situations, despite being a former safety, leading to a significant reduction in playing time his senior year.

Adjustment to another new position: It's worth keeping an eye on how Moody adjusts to playing his third position in three years. He has some pretty impressive tutors in front of him combined with a coaching staff that won't ask him to do too much right away.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/5/12/4323206/49ers-draft-picks-2013-nick-moody-scouting-report

Lack of coverage skills could force him to move to OLBDoes not play the ball wellOveraggressive and freelances too muchDoes not play up to his measureablesRaw - still appears to be learning the nuances of coverageHigh upside based on the tools but drafting him before round four would be riskyNEWS

http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/profiles/player/129275/Kam_Chancellor.jsp
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Has there been any word on Ward, health wise? It would be a shame if he missed a significant amount of camp.

My original question. Has anybody heard a thing? I personally think that injury is scary. I hope he is fully healed ... he really needs to have the benefit of full participation in camp.
Front page says he is sprinting.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Looks like they said the same thing about Kam.

I did not saw either Moody or Chancellor play in college so .

From cbssports.
Kam Chancellor

Man Coverage: Chancellor struggles with his turn-and-run flexibility, especially when you consider he's a former cornerback. Can be too high in his backpedal. Good straight-line speed, but loses a step in transition due to his long legs and marginal hip flexibility. Not as effective with his back to the quarterback.
Zone Coverage: Developing instincts as a free safety. Locates the ball quickly and can drive on it. Potential to be a good zone defender due to his instincts, straight-line speed and tackling ability, but remains an unfinished product.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1130628

Here is a little more about Moodys weaknesses in coverage from April 2, 2012 when he made the move from S to LB
The next component of this linebacker group to pay attention to is Nick Moody, who is entering his final season at Florida State, but his first as a linebacker. Moody has been a physical presence in the Seminole secondary for two straight years but has documented issues with coverage and recognition. His best play has always come when he is filling the alley and playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Jimbo Fisher admitted that had depth provided, they would have moved Moody a year earlier. There is legitimate hope and optimism for this position change to workout in the team and in Nick Moody's favor. From a physical standpoint, the total package is there. He stands at 6'2 and now weighs 240 lbs. His work ethic and discipline in the weight room have never been in question, in fact, he is praised in that regard. What this will boil down to how quickly he is able to gain comfort and understanding in his new role. The obvious question for some is whether or not his below average coverage skills as a safety will translate to solid coverage skills as a linebacker. That is yet to be seen by the public eye, but he has remained a fixture with the first string defense since the start of spring camp.
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-florida-state-linebacker-Shuffle

I´m very exited for TC to see how Moody has developed !
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Thanks eye chart ... I missed that Sounds promising!

From cbssports.
Kam Chancellor

Man Coverage: Chancellor struggles with his turn-and-run flexibility, especially when you consider he's a former cornerback. Can be too high in his backpedal. Good straight-line speed, but loses a step in transition due to his long legs and marginal hip flexibility. Not as effective with his back to the quarterback.
Zone Coverage: Developing instincts as a free safety. Locates the ball quickly and can drive on it. Potential to be a good zone defender due to his instincts, straight-line speed and tackling ability, but remains an unfinished product.

Here is a little more about Moodys weaknesses in coverage from April 2, 2012 when he made the move from S to LB
The next component of this linebacker group to pay attention to is Nick Moody, who is entering his final season at Florida State, but his first as a linebacker. Moody has been a physical presence in the Seminole secondary for two straight years but has documented issues with coverage and recognition. His best play has always come when he is filling the alley and playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Jimbo Fisher admitted that had depth provided, they would have moved Moody a year earlier. There is legitimate hope and optimism for this position change to workout in the team and in Nick Moody's favor. From a physical standpoint, the total package is there. He stands at 6'2 and now weighs 240 lbs. His work ethic and discipline in the weight room have never been in question, in fact, he is praised in that regard. What this will boil down to how quickly he is able to gain comfort and understanding in his new role. The obvious question for some is whether or not his below average coverage skills as a safety will translate to solid coverage skills as a linebacker. That is yet to be seen by the public eye, but he has remained a fixture with the first string defense since the start of spring camp.

I�m very exited for TC to see how Moody has developed !

I'm am as well, look at how we were able to fix Whinter's coverage problems.
Not to mention that we tend to produce stud linebackers I am very excited for moody.
Kind of a best of both worlds situation for him.

Who knows? This guy might end up being our Swiss Army knife on defense, would be a perfect set up for him if we can develop his coverage skills.
Could you imagine lining up Moody as a tweeter weak side OLB/SS with Reid and Bethea up top? Talk about versatility.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'm am as well, look at how we were able to fix Whinter's coverage problems.
Not to mention that we tend to produce stud linebackers I am very excited for moody.
Kind of a best of both worlds situation for him.

Who knows? This guy might end up being our Swiss Army knife on defense, would be a perfect set up for him if we can develop his coverage skills.
Could you imagine lining up Moody as a tweeter weak side OLB/SS with Reid and Bethea up top? Talk about versatility.

That thought kept popping up in my head as I watched the tape of his old teammate Telvin Smith through the Draft process.

6 days to go !
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Question about Wards role this year. I know he's expected to be the nickle CB and developed at safety which could end up being his position down the road. My Q is, say either Reid or Bethea go down with an injury, does Ward go start at safety this year? Is he essentially our #3 corner and safety?

I would say yes because he's better than Dahl and Spillman. Then one of Cox, Wright or my hope Morris fills the nickel

Good question. I would imagine Ward would slide over to FS/SS next to reid and we'd use Morris or Cox in the slot. That said, Spillman may not be a poor option at FS either but that would most likely take him off from ST contributions so it would be best to bring in an experienced CB IMHO.

The Matt's are on record stating that Spillman refuses to put in extra study time outside of practice to master the coverages, and that the defensive staff is pretty put off by that.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
The Matt's are on record stating that Spillman refuses to put in extra study time outside of practice to master the coverages, and that the defensive staff is pretty put off by that.

He's a one trick pony. Just happens to be very good at that trick.

Question about Wards role this year. I know he's expected to be the nickle CB and developed at safety which could end up being his position down the road. My Q is, say either Reid or Bethea go down with an injury, does Ward go start at safety this year? Is he essentially our #3 corner and safety?

I would say yes because he's better than Dahl and Spillman. Then one of Cox, Wright or my hope Morris fills the nickel

Good question. I would imagine Ward would slide over to FS/SS next to reid and we'd use Morris or Cox in the slot. That said, Spillman may not be a poor option at FS either but that would most likely take him off from ST contributions so it would be best to bring in an experienced CB IMHO.

Wow, who wants to be just a special teams player, more power to him though
  • thl408
Originally posted by calinig4life:

I believe that. I'm pretty certain Spillman blew a coverage assignment in the WAS game. Even if not, when Dahl got the nod to sub for Reid (whenever Reid got concussed), that told me all I needed to know as to how highly Fangio thinks of Spillman as a safety.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I believe that. I'm pretty certain Spillman blew a coverage assignment in the WAS game. Even if not, when Dahl got the nod to sub for Reid (whenever Reid got concussed), that told me all I needed to know as to how highly Fangio thinks of Spillman as a safety.

This.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by calinig4life:

I remember reading about the bolded sometime last season. It pretty much means we've seen the best of CJ Spillman lol. I LOVE what he brings, but I'm hoping that eventually one of our younger guys that can contribute on offense or defense can replace him as a special teamer.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

From cbssports.
Kam Chancellor

I´m very exited for TC to see how Moody has developed !

oh, man. i hate even looking at kam chancellor. hate that we didn't draft him; knew he would fit in the nfl--unlike that stiff, mays. and that seattle got both thurmond and kam, two of my fav value picks--double, gut punch.
you see, i remember louis oliver and steve a t w a t e r; kam is cut from the same cloth.
[ Edited by xcfan on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone